Ruckel Ridge / Eagle-Benson loop (7/13/08)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Fredo

Ruckel Ridge / Eagle-Benson loop (7/13/08)

Post by Fredo » July 14th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Just a heads up on how difficult the upper third of Eagle-Benson has become. In addition to massive logjams all over, millions of awful little 4 ft tall brush / trees (not sure what these pests are really) cover the ground in extremely dense formations. I lost the trail three times even though I practically had my nose to it and eventually gave up and bushwhacked my way out of the old fire area into the forest where I eventually reconnected with the trail, a mere 2.5 hrs after I lost it. I wouldn't recommend that route without appropriate navigational aids and long pants, all of which I unfortunately lacked in this occasion, and I have the bloody legs to vouch for it :) It's a pity the upper trail is almost impassable, because the lower trail is gorgeous.

And, as of yesterday July 13 the Benson plateau was officially snow-free.

Stats
16 miles
10+ hrs
1.5 mile / hr - a personal worst

Peder

Re: Ruckel Ridge / Eagle-Benson loop (7/13/08)

Post by Peder » July 15th, 2008, 6:07 am

Hi Fredo,
Excuse my ignorance; I do not quite understand where all the nasty little bushes are: Are they on the upper third of the Trail 434 leading down from the Benson Plateau to Eagle Creek?

As an aside, I went to do the Ruckel Ridge Saturday morning. On the way out the door, there was an “oops, I almost did it” moment, as I realized that I was forgetting a pair of socks. I got some socks and replenished the lens wipes in my backpack in the process.
At 7.55 a.m. at the Eagle Creek parking, I grabbed the socks and noted that my boots were still at home! I headed home for boots. It was getting warm, so I decided to go for Silver Star Mountain from Grouse Vista. As I approached, I recalled that Jeff went there “to check out something” in the evening after work. Here I am, grand fool, having driven 160 miles and still not at my destination! I smile thinking that Jeff sure did a better job than I! Then I remember he went to check out something about the road conditions. Oops, I am in my wife’s midget car (35 mpg – a good thing given all the miles) as she has the Outback, so any washed out road could be trouble! The road was fine, so there is no final ignominy to this story…
I went to the Indian Pits, a worthy alternative to the main summit and I had a grand day.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Fredo

Post by Fredo » July 15th, 2008, 7:42 pm

The tough spot lies roughly in the top third of Eagle-Benson aka trail 434. An area about a square mile or so seems to have been leveled by a massive forest fire at some point in the past. It probably makes sense to just skirt the fire area since the nasty brush is concentrated in there, and bushwhacking in the forest seems easier than following the trail through that section. The leaf on that brush looks a little like a maple leaf.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 15th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Thank you for the advice, I will do that if I go that way.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…