Eagle Creek overnight 7/12-7/13/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
todd149084

Eagle Creek overnight 7/12-7/13/08

Post by todd149084 » July 14th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I have a friend and neighbor who hasn't been "backpacking" since college a few years back.. lately it's just loading his family in a car and "car camping".

I finally talked him into a 3 day weekend of backpacking the Indian Heaven Wilderness.. unfortunately, we were snowed out ( this late melt is killing me )

So, we decided to just do an overnight on the eagle creek trail ( ole' reliable )

We were on the trail by 9am ( parked by the host -- no problems with breakins at all that I could see ) and had a nice relaxed walk to 7 1/2 mile campground. were at our campsite in about 3 hours

We saw quite a few day hikers on the trail and a few groups of backpackers... one particularly LOUD group of 2 young ladies in a white car at the trailhead letting everyone know how much they loved justin timberlake -- as much as I love hot college girls, I'm glad we weren't camping near them... we didn't have enough scotch and wine to drown them out.

Lots of cars in the lot, but only 2 other campsites being used.. we grabbed the southernmost one which is right on the river next to a great swimming hole.

Had a great ( but super cold ) swim... nice naps.. read, drank a little wine and just enjoyed a day without any one nagging us.

night time we had a fire, nice charcuterie plate with a good pinot, then fondue with what turned out to be a pretty decent box o' pinot grigio.

In bed and sleeping peacefully by 10.

woke up around 7.. had a nice breakfast and were on the trail by 9.. had a great walk down and we were back at the trailhead by 1130.

Here's the stinker... went to grab our post hike beers from the stream... and what do we find? 2 empties..... that's NEVER happened before... I'm guessing it was one of the groups of young guys who go to punchbowl to swim. Oh well... next time we're going to pack 2 cans and 2 bottles.. with the bottle caps being removed and some ipecac put in for good measure.

All in all a great overnighter.. nothing spectacular for those of us who have been there many times.. but my friend ( from montana ) was blown away by the scenery.

This is definitely "the" overnight or more hike for newbies to the area.

jeffstatt

Re: Eagle Creek overnight 7/12-7/13/08

Post by jeffstatt » July 14th, 2008, 3:12 pm

todd149084 wrote:
Here's the stinker... went to grab our post hike beers from the stream... and what do we find? 2 empties..... that's NEVER happened before... I'm guessing it was one of the groups of young guys who go to punchbowl to swim. Oh well... next time we're going to pack 2 cans and 2 bottles.. with the bottle caps being removed and some ipecac put in for good measure.
Ouch! And you know you were just looking forward to downin' those when you got back...

fishy

Re: Eagle Creek overnight 7/12-7/13/08

Post by fishy » July 15th, 2008, 8:23 pm

That's a bummer about the beer! I'm excited to go up there this weekend, it will be my first trip past punchbowl falls!