Table Mountain 6.14.08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
zombie

Table Mountain 6.14.08

Post by zombie » June 17th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Weather was looking to be a whole lotta great on Saturday, so I wanted to do something worthwhile in the way of views. I had never done Table Mountain before so figured this was as good as Gorge views would get! Left my car at about 6:45 am in an effort to beat the weekend warriors to the top and started things off from Bonneville Hot Springs with a trip through the tall grass under the power lines.

The low hum of electricity from the wires overhead was an interesting way to start things off, but the towers were surrounded by fields full of picturesque flowers that helped take my mind off the fact that it was being irradiated.

After a very dark, dank, muddy and insect infested (even this early in the morning!) shortcut through some woods, I wound up on the jeep trail leading up to the PCT. I won't be taking this shortcut next time and actually extended my return trip by 3/4 of a mile to avoid it.

The jeep road and eventual stretch of PCT lulls you into a false sense of security. Gliding through the early miles on these trails made me start to doubt all the veiled warnings about how strenuous this hike is supposed to be...I started to wonder what all the fuss was about. Until I got to the Eastway junction. There is something fairly foreboding about looking dead ahead of you with your head level and seeing where your feet will be in 6 steps.

I am no super-hiker and the thought of going up this sucker was starting to seem like something I could be talked out of, but I started one foot at a time and soon was totally enthralled. Using my GPS I began tracking just how steep this trail is, andnd my favorite piece of deduction was the following: at one point of trail I took 50 steps, travelled about 65 feet, yet managed to climb 73 feet in elevation. Geesh!

This did make for frequent rest periods and during one such break I was lucky enought o turn around and get my first indication of the eventual rewards!

Soon this straight-up trail began to get brighter...there was a thinning up ahead...could I already be near the top!? Um...no. Instead the new Eastway Trail opens onto this little beauty...a talus field stretching upward and onward. The following photo is of the first 2/3, the rest hidden behind younger trees up top.

Just prior to the talus were some great views of the top...

...but afterwards it was back into the trees for the rest of the ascent. After leaving the rocks, it became apparent that I was on the "new and improved" section of Eastway as the trail was very freshly tilled and *gasp* there were three switchbacks! Trying to go easy on us nowadays apparently!

The new section exits out onto the upper meadow not only signalling that my climb was over, but also offering up evidence for just how proud the trail workers are in their work and also how important it is that we all stay ON the new trail.

Within a few scant moments of arriving up top, any and all effort of getting up there is immediately worth it. The views are amazing, whether it be Hood, Jefferson, Adams, Rainier, St. Helens; the Gorge - east and west; down the 800 ft. cliffs of the south face; or just the rolling meadow with songbirds and flowers.

There was a bit of snow still on top, with a few decent sized fields covering up the trail. The top of table however is fairly easy to navigate considering three out of four directions drops you off a cliff (or at least tumbling down a very steep face), so as long as you don't choose one of those everything is hunky-dory.

On the way down the Westway Trail I was surprised that the going was slower than the way up! Everything on this route is slightly less steep, however much more loose and exposed. Slow and steady going was the name of my game and I was delighted to come across a few Indian rock pits on the way down.

This little plant is a new one to me and was only seen in a single area. It's now one of my new favorite flora!

I had met a single gentleman on the summit as I was preparing to leave, but passed several on the way back to the bottom and saw several more dealing with the Eastway talus field far off to the left. It was also starting to warm up pretty good by this point, and for these two reasons alone I recommend an early start on Table; especially on the weekend. After getting back to the car, I drove to a turnoff for one last shot of Table and then was on my way to Cascade Locks for some soft serve ice cream!

Stats for the day: 10.54 miles. 4136' total gain. About 6.5 hours (with nearly an hour playing around up top).

One of my new favorites!!

-aaron

nyxlily

Re: Table Mountain 6.14.08

Post by nyxlily » June 18th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the trip report! Wish I had read it before I set out on the 16th (I know you posted it on the old site, but I think the old problems prevented you from posting the details) as I underestimated the difficulty of this trail! The stroll through the PCT was so pleasant, then I was confronted with Heart Break Ridge.. I kept wondering why I was torturing myself with this. When I saw the talus field (didn't know that's what they're called), my jaw dropped.. but daylight was failing and I pushed myself.. one step at a time.

Anyhoo, the map at the junction of the PCT and Heart Break is slightly wrong.. the black dot that says "You Are Here" was not, in fact, where I was. That gave me pause as I thought I was missing something.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 18th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Great report! I'm you were able to negotiate the photo stuff on this new site.

really nice photos by the way...you had a great clear day. Did it stay cool for you or did it get a bit warm? How were the bugs on teh summit. I recall an early season summit of Hamilton that had flies swarming all over me!

zombie

Post by zombie » June 18th, 2008, 8:49 pm

jeffstatt wrote: Did it stay cool for you or did it get a bit warm? How were the bugs on teh summit. I recall an early season summit of Hamilton that had flies swarming all over me!
It got fairly warm actually, but much of it was due to the exposed, dry, rocky areas of Westway radiating heat on the way down. I managed to get up top before 10 am so it was still fairly cool for the majority of my day. As far as bugs, the summit was totally clear of all but some of the biggest bees I've ever seen! The only fly/gnat/mosquito issues I had were on the cutover trail at the bottom, which I made sure to avoid on the way back.

-aaron

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 19th, 2008, 6:27 am

Great report! I really think that's the best view in the Gorge, unless you count Chinidere Mountain as part of the Gorge.

I look forward to checking out the new trail.

Paul