Salmon Butte - July 12, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Waffle Stomper

Salmon Butte - July 12, 2008

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 13th, 2008, 9:15 am

Salmon Butte is one of our must do hikes that was delayed by this year’s late snowpack. Encouraged by Portlandhikers’ snow reports we knew this would be the day. We were not disappointed.

We found only two cars at the trailhead when we arrived. One was part of a search and rescue team exploring the area hoping to solve a missing person case from last fall. We met only a few people all day. There were a few more trees down from what we remembered from last year, but easily navigated. Prepare to get your knees dirty on some. Otherwise, the trail was in great shape. With the exception of a few patches of snow on the sides of the trail, all was clear.

This trail is noted for its massive display of rhododendrons. This year was disappointing. There were few blooming and had little sign of past or hope of future blooms. Other trails are better choices for beautiful pink displays. But this trail has more to offer than “rhodies.” This is a beautiful forest hike that rewarded us with a view of Mount Hood along the way and nothing less than a fantastic vista at the top with all the major mountains in view. The last few steps of the trail were ablaze with purples, reds, oranges and yellows of wildflowers. Having lunch with the electric buzz of insects & butterflies flitting in the air was a real treat.

It was a good day.

We found this amazing candystick (Allotropa Virgata) near the trail in the forest.

Flowers near the top

Mountain views

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Aimless

Re: Salmon Butte - July 12, 2008

Post by Aimless » July 13th, 2008, 10:25 am

Salmon Butte! Yes! Yes! A very fine hike. I am so glad to hear it is open for business. Nice pics, too.

pablo

Post by pablo » July 13th, 2008, 10:51 am

Well, the melt-off is making progress thanks for the report. The candystick is really neat, assuming they are common I've never noticed them before - I'll have to pay more attention. Do you have any details on the missing person they were looking for?

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 13th, 2008, 1:16 pm

I've never seen the candystick before either. From what I read it's not uncommon but somehow I've missed it.

I don't have any details about the missing person. When we talked to the searchers they said he was an older man that was reported missing last year and his car was found up the road from the trailhead just before the snow started falling. No idea why he might have been there. They were doing grid searches in the area now that the snow has melted. It occupied our thoughts during much of the hike.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir