Saddle Mtn 7-12-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Scout

Saddle Mtn 7-12-08

Post by Scout » July 12th, 2008, 10:19 pm

I hiked Saddle Mt. today, along with LOTS of other people. The trail is signed as "impassable." The trail is passable, but there are lots of places where erosion has taken it's toll and these spots are tricky to move through, especially going down. The trial crew has done a terrific job for the first maybe 1.25 miles, but that's about as high up as they've gone. Only experienced hikers should use the trail, unless you happen to be young and/or quite athletic (I'm neither). I am smart, though, and I took my two trekking poles, which many people commented on (I saw no other people with poles). The upper 1/3 of the hike still has wildflowers, and they're especially numerous above the saddle. From the top Hood, Adams, St. Helens, and Rainier could be seen, as well as a little bit of the Olympics. This is only the second time I've seen the Olympics from Saddle Mt., and this time was a "just barely" experience. Perhaps 10 years ago, on a crystal clear April day, we could see what looked like the entire range. (Tip: If you eat at Camp 18 on the way home, and you have a soda with your meal, they are refillable....well, that's no big deal. But.....ask for one to take with you, though, and they won't charge you - it's part of your refillable drink!)
IMG_0632.JPG
Wildflowers just below Saddle Mt's summit.
Sit loosely in the saddle of life.

jley

Re: Saddle Mtn 7-12-08

Post by jley » July 13th, 2008, 5:40 pm

I can second the report... Conditions were almost identical on Sunday (7/13) - except that we did encounter quite a few people with poles (and some in jeans & no water...). I don't mean to hijack your thread, but here are some photos:

A view of the final climb to the top:

On top:

Zoomed-in to the Astoria Column (barely visible with the naked eye):

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 13th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Jonathan...we passed each other as I was coming down...I was the first one up there this morning and was wearing a blue shirt with a yellow Mountain Hardwear bandana and orange pack. I'm assuming that was you because I recognize the woman in the photo.

I got up there early so I was fortunate to have the entire summit to myself for about 45 minutes and didn't see anyone else until crossing the saddle and dropping back down into the woods. The trailwork on the lower portions of the trail was very nicely done and the washouts on the upper part weren't too bad (especially with poles).

It was a beautiful day up there with a great flower display...

It looks like this was before the fire started on Adams...

Anybody else up there this weekend?

Delfiin

Post by Delfiin » July 14th, 2008, 5:07 am

We were up there yesterday. Arrived at the trailhead just after 12. It was overflowing. Last time we did this hike there were 2 other cars at the trailhead. Anyways, fabulous hike with wildflowers everywhere. We also had an amazing view of the fire near Mt. Adams from the top. We made our way down to Cannon Beach afterwards for some surf and dinner. Great day!