Hood River Meadows Loop Attempt...7/09/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Hood River Meadows Loop Attempt...7/09/08

Post by meana39 » July 11th, 2008, 3:43 pm

I thought it might be a bit cooler on Wednesday up on Mount Hood, so me and the girls and Rosie (the dog) headed up there. We reached the trailhead at HRM about 11 am....and headed up the trail planning on doing the loop hike in the opposite direction than is described here.

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

When we came to the Umbrella Falls tail we kept straight heading towards Newton Creek. We crossed a couple smaller streams, one where we would have gotten our feet wet had someone not placed a log a short ways off the trail and over the creek. There is still snow in several places, but it was melting quickly in all that heat!

We came to the intersection with the Newton Creek trail, but kept straight because I wanted to check out the Newton Creek crossing this year to Elk Meadows. The same log that we used last year, is still there along with a couple of larger ones just a bit down the creek. So perhaps an Elk Meadows hike later this month.
newtoncreekcross.JPG
mounthoodnewton.JPG
rockytrailgirls.JPG
squirrel.jpg
Back to the Newton Creek trail and up, up up....there are a few spots that the trail has nearly washed off into the creek, but not quite. We followed the trail for over an hour finding more and more snow, but the trail was always easy to spot. Until one point where we couldn't find where the trail went, there was only snow and no blazes to follow. So instead of ending up on the "six o'clock news" we decided to turn back at this point.

Perhaps in a couple of weeks we'll try it again. After getting back to the car, we drove to the Sahale falls view and took some photos of it and the beautiful meadow on the way. Then up to Mount Hood Meadows so my daughters who snowboard there all winter could see it without so much snow.
sahlalie.jpg
meadow.jpg
meadows.JPG
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Re: Hood River Meadows Loop Attempt...7/09/08

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 11th, 2008, 5:50 pm

We've been waiting for this trail to clear up too. Do you have a guess how far you were from the intersection of Timberline Trail?

Cute squirrel. Looks like he's glad to finally see some hikers.

Thanks for the trip report and photos.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

meana39

Post by meana39 » July 11th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I don't think we were too far from the Timberline connector trail, based on how fast or should I say "Slow" I hike I think we'd went close to the 2 miles from the Newton Creek intersection, and we'd gotten pretty close to some good views of Hood.

I think as long as you had gps or a good map you could find your way, and we wouldn't have really gotten lost as Newton Creek is right there on your right....but I've always told the girls to turn around if you can't find the trail, as I don't want them ever getting lost, so they didn't really want to bushwack up the creek until we ran into the timberline trail.

So having never done that trail before....I'm not sure how far we were, but I'd imagine pretty close. We might try again next week on a cooler day.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 11th, 2008, 9:02 pm

I think you are wise. I'm not into taking those extra risks. I come prepared for the worst but never want to chance it. There is always next time.

Last year there were a lot of downed trees on the lower part of the trail that had not been cleared. Is that still the same?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

meana39

Post by meana39 » July 12th, 2008, 8:13 am

There were a few downed trees, but not more than half a dozen I'd say, and nothing to hard that you can't just step over them. I'd say only two that I had to straddle like a horse and cross, but then I'm only 5'2" tall so that could be most of them for me!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 13th, 2008, 9:27 am

That is good news. So it is at least not worse than last year. I think this is a hike that is coming up soon in my future. :D