Wygant Trail and Chetwood Loop 7-10-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pyles_94

Wygant Trail and Chetwood Loop 7-10-08

Post by pyles_94 » July 11th, 2008, 9:06 am

ok so based on what i found in toms trip report about the wygant trail and the viewpoints i studied up and set out to do the chetwood loop yesterday in the late morning. let me just say that was the cooles hike ive done in quite a while.

The trail starts at the parking lot for Mitchel Point:

then you walk along the old highway for almost a quarter mile, then signs point you to a trail that leads to a crossing of mitchel creek.... where you cross on logs. the trail wanders out of the creekbed and back onto a paved trail which you follow another quarter mile. after that another sign points you on to the trail that leaves the highway for good. this rounds a bend and crosses a mini creek then climbs in switchbacks up some steep cliffs. after you climb maybe 5 little switchbacks the trail levels out for a while. in a little bit you come to a junction with the chetwood loop(which i returned by) then a hundred feet feet more and you come into the perham creek canyon. the trail descends into the canyon and crosses the creek on a bridge. heres a shot of perham creek where the bridge crosses:

The trail climbs gently out of the other side of the canyon which is very green and more over grown than the other side of the canyon. out of the canyon the trail shortly comes to a junction.... unsigned. the right leads to the lower viewpoint and the left leads farther up the mountain. i stopped at the lower viewpoint and took some pictures but im not done making the panoramas, so i cant post them yet.

i did make a video though... see below

heres a shot of what most of the trail looked like up to the lower viewpoint:

the trail has poison oak growing up to your knees on either side of the unmaintained thin trail. wear long pants and a longsleeve shirt and definitely bring a walking stick or poles.

anyways... after a break i continued up the trail again. the trail comes to powerlines... and climbs under them for a few hundred feet. look up and to your left to see an osprey nest. when i was there the mother was screeching at me probably because i was too close to the nest. the section of trail that goes under the power lines is horrible. the trail is probably about 7 inches wide at most and the brush (thankfully not poison oak here) is so horribly thick. you literally just have to push through it. after that horrid section of trail the path widens out and is not very brushy as it climbs farther under douglas firs another mile up the side of the hill in switchbacks. shortly after the trail stops switching back and climbs on a straight trail, look for an obvious side trail to the right. this i took and came to an amazing upper viewpoint. its on a small out cropping maybe 7hundred feet up the gorge wall.

i took a break and took another small video. at home i put the videos of the lower and upper viewpoints together to make this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHvWaYpwBA

so after that i continued on the other trail which led farther up the hill. i located approximately where we were on the map and continued on. two hundred yards up the trail we came to the junction with the chetwood loop again. i saw a sign that said that one way was the Wygant Trail, and below it pointed to my route and said "_____ trail" i couldnt read what the first word said but the second word was obviously trail. so i went left down the chetwood trail. this trail is really cool. you follow it a a hundred yards and come to the first of three blowdowns. this one is simbly a large log fell over the trail... but there is an easy route over/around it. then the trail comes to another area with a few smaller logs across the route, which are easily stepped over. the last one is the most difficult (though still pretty easy) to go over. i dont exactly know what happened here but some logs cover the trail then there is a five foot drop and you have to climb down it. not to bad. as you get farther into the perham creek canyon, you come to a few sections like this:

the trail gets more brushy after that and the poison oak increases. in only one place its worse than the wygant trail.
after maybe a mile of going gently down the side of perham creek canyon you come to the creek. here is a great little cascade that i got some pictures of:

you have to cross this creek but even if you dont want to get your feet wet there is a log (seen in the pictures), the route i took. the creek is not wide here so you could also jump.

the trail wanders along the creek for a while, then climbs up the side of the canyon for a litlle while. after the short climb the trail levels out and is high above perham creek. you contnue going almost level for a quarter mile then start descending at a shallow angle. it is very open forest here with not much brush. almost a mile from the creek crossing the trail comes to the area under the power lines. its just as brushy as where the wygant trail crosses. after the hundred feet that it lasts, the path dumps you out under the powerlines where its grassy and clear. (i dont know what to call that...)

well the trail doesnt just cross it. it just leaves you there. so i searched left then right. go right a hundred feet to find the trail. it goes a short ways then puts you back to the wygant trail near where it goes into the canyon. i continued back to the car.

i would reccommend that loop to any somewhat experienced hiker as long as you wear long clothes and bring a stick or poles.

i will get to making my panoramas today so i'll post them later.

length: 6 miles or so
elevation gain: 1000 feet
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Re: Wygant Trail and Chetwood Loop 7-10-08

Post by Splintercat » July 11th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Nice report, Jamey! The good news about hiking up there in summer is that, despite the abundance of poison oak, the tick population is greatly diminished! If I have to pick my nemesis, it's going to be poison oak over ticks, any day..!

I liked your video, too. I think what you identified as the upper viewpoint was one of the upper viewpoints, but not the one shown in the Field Guide map I posted this week. You can save that one for your next visit. Great description of the Chetwoot Trail, too!

Tom

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 11th, 2008, 10:53 pm

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that on my way back home in the car i looked down at the skin on my arm to see a little nasty tick climbing up it. i picked it up and through it out the window.

ok here is a panorama of the lower viewpoint:

the stitching program left out the photo that had mitchel point in it, so here it is, cropped a bit:

i dont have the upper viewpoint one posted yet because i was unexpectedly busy today.

btw tom your right about the upper viewpoint i stopped at not being the actual upper viewpoint, but one along the way.
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 12th, 2008, 9:20 am

Here you go, Jamey - the east bookend added:

Wonderful panorama, Jamey! I noticed your tripod in the video, so I'm glad you put it to good use (along with those nice stream shots). The pano really captures the scene, and would make a nice addition to the Field Guide. Do you mind if I add this version, with photo credit? Also, I can e-mail you an uncompressed file of what I put together, if you'd like.

What stitching application do you use? It's dong a good job on the sky, your trouble with getting the last image included notwithstanding. Most stitch applications really botch the sky blend. I used the freebie Canon Photostitch to add your fianl image. This has been my old standby for at least eight years. It's better than the Photoshop macro and besides, free is a very good price! Photoshop would have butchered a stitch like this, unfortunately.

Tom

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 12th, 2008, 9:22 am

BTW, next time I head east through the Gorge, I'll look for that tick you tossed out the window, and drive over it, for good measure... I.... hate... ticks...! :twisted:

-Tom

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 12th, 2008, 10:44 am

yeah, go head and add that one! thanks for putting it together. i use auto stitch. it works just fine and i really love how it works with the sky. go ahead and email me that! it looks nice. i think ticks are of the devil :evil:
Jamey Pyles

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 12th, 2008, 3:46 pm

ok heres the middle/upper viewpoint panorama:

Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 14th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Okay, Jamey - it's posted on the Wygant page. I located it near the bottom so that I could maximize the width - used the same thumb dimensions as the map.

I don't have your e-mail - could you post it in a PM? Thanks.

-Tom :)

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 15th, 2008, 7:07 am

Love the panorama. Nice trip report Jamey. How was your weather that day? Did it stay cool that day? (I'm thinking back to the 10th in my head)

Too bad about that thick section under the powerlines. Maybe the Osprey was really saying "turn back now while you still have a chance!"