Kings Mountain 7/6, Elk Mountain 7/9/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BCJ

Kings Mountain 7/6, Elk Mountain 7/9/08

Post by BCJ » July 10th, 2008, 10:34 pm

I have lived in Washington County for much of my life and had never made it over to Kings or Elk mountain...I really don't know why. I decided to remedy the first half on Sunday morning with a quick run up Kings. The weather wasn't great and I was hoping that the early-morning clouds would burn off before I reached the summit (I set from the parking lot around 6:30am). It didn't rain, but the leaves were all very wet so, by the time I got to the top, it seemed like I had been through a drizzle.

The trail was quite steep in places and it reminded me a lot of the Starvation Ridge trail up Defiance, but I would say it's even steeper. The trail was groomed nicely (thank you, Mazamas) and I never felt like I needed to use my hands. I was very impressed by the heavy picnic table placed at about the 3100' level by some Boy Scouts...I'm glad I didn't have to haul the pieces of that up the mountain.

The views from the top extended all the way to the trees that were about 30' in front of me. Here's a great shot over to Elk Mountain, where I would be three days later.

I waited around on top for about 30 minutes to see if the clouds would clear a bit and I was rewarded handsomely for my patience. Below is a shot of the payoff...

There were a lot of wildflowers on top and they were quite pretty...

Then on Wednesday I wanted to see what the trail up Elk was like so I headed up after work. I left the trailhead at 6:30pm for what has to be about the steepest mile-and-a-half of trail in the state. I'm very glad that I had poles for this one, especially on the way down. The trail makes its way steeply up the ridge to the summit with some sharp downhill stints as it as goes up and over a few knobby spots covering 2000' of vertical gain in 1.6 miles. I only saw one other group of three very friendly people on the trail...two were up near the top and said they had learned of the hike on this site...thier comment was something to the effect of "The description didn't give the true sense of how steep this trail really is." The third was a gentleman from India who was scooting down the trail on his backside after deciding that going higher wasn't going to happen. They didn't have poles so I don't envy their journey down.

The flowers and views on top were beautiful.

These are both great trails that I'll start doing on a regular basis to keep my legs in shape for climbing the bigger stuff.

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Kings Mountain 7/6, Elk Mountain 7/9/08

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 16th, 2008, 11:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up BCJ. I need to add these to my list. Wonderful photos.

Adam

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 17th, 2008, 6:53 am

Love the flower photos. Was it pretty steamy that morning? It seems like it from your photos. Good instincts to wait a 1/2 hour at the top. Did you get your camera fixed? I don't see the smudge (that was you, right?)

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 17th, 2008, 8:33 am

The smudge mysteriously disappeared...it was a piece of dust inside the camera so it must have gone somewhere else inside and is no longer affecting the photos. At least this means I don't have to get a new camera.

I'm now using the Kings Mountian trail as a training hike once per week since it's steep but well-graded so I can still get an aerobic workout (Elk is too steep and loose to get into a good rhythm). I most-recently went up on Tuesday evening to get some views of the sunset and then went down in the dark with a headlamp. I'm trying to get to the top in under an hour and just missed it this time, getting from the car to the summit register in 64 minutes. Mt. Hood be seen, but just barely due to all the smoke from Adams. Below are a few photos...

Saddle Mountain is just visible to the right and the Pacific Ocean to the left...

Pacific Ocean over the hills...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 18th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Nice pics! Nothing more peaceful than dusk on a mountaintop, and these capture the feeling nicely!

Tom

tjolson81

Post by tjolson81 » July 19th, 2008, 10:18 am

great report and shots. what type of camera are you using?

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 19th, 2008, 10:22 am

Ooooooooooooooooh! What ambience! Wanna be there! You lucky thing!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 19th, 2008, 8:21 pm

tjolson81 wrote:great report and shots. what type of camera are you using?
Thanks much! I use a Canon Digital Elph 800IS...just a little point-and-shoot. I'd really like to get a digital SLR soon.

The trail is only about 35 miles from Hillsboro so it's a perfect place to head up in the evening to catch a sunset. A headlamp is a must since most of the trail, except for the summit area, is under a thick canopy and gets very dark. I think I'm going to make it a weekly afternoon/evening hike to keep in shape; I'm also thinking about heading up early before work to catch the sunrise.