Catherine Creek and trails above Sunflower Hill, 3/16/24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Catherine Creek and trails above Sunflower Hill, 3/16/24

Post by wnshall » March 20th, 2024, 9:31 pm

I'll add another Catherine Creek report from the past weekend's tease of spring to come.
IMG_6721.jpeg
Mt Hood
I arrived at the parking lot around 9:45 am finding plenty of parking space at the main CC lot, so not nearly as busy as it will be in weeks to come, but by noon it looked like the lot was completely full.

As pdxalex noted in their TR, trails are in great condition, I didn't see any ticks, and I didn't see any poison oak leafing out yet. At one point while descending the Labyrinth connector trail and seeing the CC parking lot filled with cars twinkling in the distance, I too remarked on how relatively empty the trails seemed. I only occasionally crossed paths with another hiker. Using the trails higher up the slopes helps distance oneself from the crowds I suspect.

I started by taking the newish Catherine Creek trail (I think that's what the sign said) that departs the main trail to the right and quickly crosses Catherine Creek on a newish foot bridge. I followed this trial through a veritable flower-filled rock garden, resplendent with grass widows, yellow bells, two varieties of saxifrage, blue eyed Mary, and gold star (I think). Also saw purple Columbia desert parsley and a yellow variety, either Klickitat or "pungent" (which apparently itself could be L. papilioniferum or L. greyi -- I'm not quite sure which is likely seen in the gorge, and I can't tell either one from the Klickitat variety.) (As a further aside, pungent desert parsley is described as "malodorous", but I quite like the smell of desert parsley on the wind.)
IMG_6711.jpeg
Grass Widow
IMG_6717.jpeg
Yellow Bells
IMG_6719.jpeg
Gold Star (?)
IMG_6733.jpeg
rock garden with a view
I connected up with the outer trail that ascends Tracy Hill, and followed the trail past the old pond and back down the west side of Tracy Hill. Just past the corral, I bushwacked up the canyon side to join the Bitterroot trail and ascended Sunflower hill. At the junction with Atwood road I continued uphill along the old 4WD track.
IMG_6730.jpeg
Corral
For several years I've enjoyed exploring the forest and creek canyons of the upper slopes of the Catherine Creek area. I've made many forays from the top of Sunflower hill west across the forested canyons, emerging in the park-like oak and ponderosa meadows above the Atwood trail. In the last couple of years there's been extensive thinning activity in these woods and a variety of trails have appeared. My best guess is that these trails were originally used during that thinning activity, but I don't really know. In any case, there is now a very credible and easy to follow route that connects the top of Sunflower Hill to the slopes above the Atwood trail, a bit east of the the connection with the Labyrinth connector trail.

The route angles off from the 4WD track and heads slightly downhill in the forest on a very obvious and quite wide track. In places it's quite clear that a small dozer was used to scrape the trail. The trail soon heads slightly uphill again and rises through the woods beside Roland creek. Eventually the trail crosses the creek and joins an old logging road bed. From here it climbs to a large open staging area with a gravel road joining from the west. A boot track leads south from this open area and more or less follows the ridge line, south and down hill. The path is right at the edge between the oak forest to the west and the fir forest climbing out of the creek canyon, and so avoids most of the poison oak spread throughout the oak forest. Soon you will notice open pockets of meadow in the oak forest on your left, which is your invitation to leave the boot path and simply wander down through the meadows.

Whether you stay on the boot path or choose your own route through the meadows, you will arrive to a bluff overlooking the Atwood trail. The boot path, rather unwisely, descends straight down the nose of this bluff. Better I think to head to the right and follow a gentler slope down. You will probably pick up traces of another boot path used by people heading up from the Atwood Trail to explore the oak meadows. Just wind your way down through this ponderosa and oak park, enjoying the views until you join the Atwood Trail.
Catherine Creek Sunshine Hill Off-trail.png
User trail above Sunshine Hill, yellow
These semi-established trails take some of the mystery out of exploring this area, but on the other hand they create a really accessible alternate path from Sunflower, that offers more distance, and probably more solitude, as well as a delightful stroll through a ponderosa-oak park setting.

After rejoining the Atwood trail, I took the Labyrinth connector trail to the desert parsley trail to Roland Wall, joining the Catherine Creek trail for the final bit back to the parking lot.

Glorious day in the Gorge, with promises for more this spring.

bobcat

Re: Catherine Creek and trails above Sunflower Hill, 3/16/24

Post by bobcat » March 24th, 2024, 8:25 am

Thanks for the report and info on the upper Sunflower extension. Looks like it was a lovely day out there!