North Shore Trail 03-11-2024

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
happilyretired

North Shore Trail 03-11-2024

Post by happilyretired » March 12th, 2024, 4:35 am

That would be the north shore of Lookout Point Lake, as opposed to all the other north shore trails scattered around. I managed to find time between bands of rain to explore this one on a not-too-chilly morning.

First, a note on mapping. This is an Army Corps of Engineers trail, or rather, a trail on ACE land: I suspect the Corps doesn't actually do any of the trail-building or maintenance here, leaving that to the local mountain-biking community. This leads to some route confusion. AllTrails is, as far as I can tell, dead wrong about the west end of the trail, though accurate as to the location of the east end. The mobile version of OnX Backcountry gets the west end right but misses a piece on the east end - though intriguingly it shows another chunk of trail further east that I didn't look for - a future adventure awaits!

In any case, the trail is trapped between Lookout Point Lake and Boundary Road, so once you actually find a trailhead it's pretty easy to locate the trail. I missed the west trailhead entirely on my early-morning drive-by, but here's what it looks like:
P3110018.jpg
West end of the trail
There is a tiny hiker symbol on the red-and-white post, but I didn't see it when I drove by. The white sign is the Corps of Engineers rules for the area, and it's the only such sign on this roadside. This trailhead is about a mile past Lookout Point Dam.

In any case, I started out close to the east end of the trail, on a paved pull-out that looks like this:
P3110001.jpg
Near the east end of the trail
That's near a horseshoe bend in the road, right after a power-line right-of-way clearcut. If you hit the second clearcut you've gone a bit too far. Google Maps shows this as the point where Landax Park touches the lake, though I didn't see any other sign of the park from the road (there's a sign board and one picnic table just down the access trail towards the lake). There are actually four or five of these paved pull-outs along Boundary Road, and all of them have use trails down to the North Shore Trail, so you can start at pretty much any of them.

For completeness, here's the actual east end of the trail I hiked. There's room for a car on that grassy area, and some people have clearly parked there, but with logging truck traffic on this road I personally wouldn't want to be that close to the travel lane.
P3110026.jpg
Actual east end of the trail
In any case, on to the hike itself. From the Landax trailhead, it quickly gets into verdant fields of ... poison ivy, of course. There was an abundance all along the trail, though mostly possible to avoid.
P3110002.jpg
Poison ivy galore
Pretty quickly it goes into the trees, though, and there are occasional lake views. There are also a bunch of use trails down to the lake, or at least somewhere near the lake. With the water level drawn down, I wasn't about to go traversing the mud bank to get to the actual water.
P3110005.jpg
Lake and hills
P3110007.jpg
Drawn-down shore
For the most part, this is an easy hike through the trees. It looks peaceful, but with the logging traffic on nearby Boundary Road, and Highway 58 right on the other side of the lake, it wasn't very quiet. Still, a bad day in the woods beats a good day at home any time. You'd think a trail that basically follows the lakeshore would be flat, but this one isn't - there are pretty constant ups and downs, some of them required by the terrain, and some I suspect engineered just to make biking it more fun.
P3110009.jpg
Hiking through the trees
Eventually you start getting views of the dam itself, and a while after this comes the west end of the trail. I spent a few minutes looking for the continuation of the trail that AllTrails shows, and I couldn't find anything, not even a trace of old trailbed. I think someone just walked along the road and uploaded that track. Again, with the logging truck traffic, I wouldn't recommend doing this.
P3110014.jpg
Dam peeking through the trees
Along with the ups and downs, the trail crosses a bunch of small streams. Most of these were in pipes, or had strategic wood or stone crossings built up, so there was no need to get my feet wet even after a few rainy days in the area.
P3110017.jpg
Stream crossing
On the way back to my car, I stopped to look at the first few wildflowers coming out. I guess spring is on the way.
P3110019.jpg
Pacific Houndstooth (?)
P3110023.jpg
Stream Violet (?)
When I got back to my starting point, I spent a few more minutes exploring east, and located the official east end of the trail at the road. There is some established trail beyond this point, but it's little-traveled and eventually just sort of peters out in a bunch of brush.
P3110025.jpg
End of the trail
All told, the hikeable portion of this trail is about 3 1/2 miles, making for a 7-mile round trip depending on how many of the side trails you explore. Given the lack of seclusion, and the evident MTB traffic (lots of tracks in the mud, which I can understand, given that all the more "exciting" routes in the area are partially snow-covered at the moment) I doubt I'll hike it often, but it was good to see at least once.

DannyH

Re: North Shore Trail 03-11-2024

Post by DannyH » March 12th, 2024, 6:11 am

I grew up in Cottage Grove and went to college in Eugene. It’s been really fun seeing all your Eugene area trip reports. Especially as I now live in NE Tennessee. I’ve been intrigued by the Eugene to Cascades Crest trail idea for years. The recently connected Corvallis to the Coast trail has me hopeful. Thanks!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2024, 8:19 am

I wasn't familiar with Corvalis to Coast trail

https://c2ctrail.org/hiking-the-trail/h ... irections/

There's a lot of road walking. Some of the road walking is on gated Forest Service roads which wouldn't be bad. Anyone done this?

It sounds more developed than the Eugene to PCT trail.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 12th, 2024, 8:38 am

The violets are V. sempervirens.

happilyretired

Post by happilyretired » March 12th, 2024, 2:49 pm

DannyH - you're welcome! Sounds like we more or less switched places...I was in southwest Indiana before moving out here. Didn't hit Tennessee very much but hiked all of the backcountry trails at Mammoth Cave (which most people don't even know exist, I think).

Thanks for that ID, Adam - as a (most recently) Midwest boy, I keep expecting violets to be, well, violet.

I've looked into the C2C trail (there are some decent videos on Youtube from people who have through-hiked it) but the road-walking stretches and limits on camping have pushed it down my list a ways. Been thinking a bit about the Oregon Coast Trail too...but not yet!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 13th, 2024, 5:41 am

the oregon coast trail also has a lot of road walking, sometimes on the side of busy highway