Dry Creek Falls in Columbia River Gorge Area (Alternate Route via Forest Road instead of PCT)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TrailPerspective

Dry Creek Falls in Columbia River Gorge Area (Alternate Route via Forest Road instead of PCT)

Post by TrailPerspective » March 6th, 2024, 11:22 am

This was a Day-Hike, Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area in Oregon, hiking to Dry Creek Falls. The main approach is typically via the Pacific Crest Trail, approximately 4.4 miles, 900 FT Elevation Gain. However, really due more to an accident/mistake on my part of typing the location into Google Maps too quickly as I was trying to jam in 5 - 6 separate hikes in a row, I drove to Dry Creek Road, and accessed the area slightly to the North of the typical Pacific Crest Trailhead by hiking up a Forest Road Fire Lane. This cut the Hike from 4.4 miles to 3 miles, and cut out a couple hundred feet of Elevation Gain. I also liked that this Forest Road more closely paralleled Dry Creek and I was the only one on that side on a busy day. The down side was that the Forest Road was a bit sketchy and bumpy, not all cars would make it, but most likely would if driving very slowly and cautiously and prudently. It really isn't bad, just not good for a Mini-Cooper type deal.

One of the things I like about Dry Creek Falls area is that it has that Wilderness Adventuring feel of a muddy/dirt trail in the Rainforest vibe, whereas several of the other popular Hikes in the area are more paved cement/asphalt the entire way with that touristy feel which I candidly don't like. :lol:

Here is the video just posted moments ago, I was pretty blown away by Dry Creek Falls, thought the Waterfall Basin was particularly high quality. A Top 5 for me in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area:

https://youtu.be/HkJOhPkwH-c

bobcat

Re: Dry Creek Falls in Columbia River Gorge Area (Alternate Route via Forest Road instead of PCT)

Post by bobcat » March 7th, 2024, 5:52 pm

That section of Dry Creek through the defile below the PCT is pretty and relatively untraveled. It's a nice loop, especially this time of year, out the PCT and then return down the old road to Cascade Locks.

TrailPerspective

Re: Dry Creek Falls in Columbia River Gorge Area (Alternate Route via Forest Road instead of PCT)

Post by TrailPerspective » March 8th, 2024, 12:59 pm

bobcat wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 5:52 pm
That section of Dry Creek through the defile below the PCT is pretty and relatively untraveled. It's a nice loop, especially this time of year, out the PCT and then return down the old road to Cascade Locks.
Well said agreed, I was blown away but how bright luscious green it was, felt like I had stepped into a Rainforest.