Herman Creek TH to Pinnacles, 3/3/2024

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxalex

Herman Creek TH to Pinnacles, 3/3/2024

Post by pdxalex » March 4th, 2024, 7:50 am

With a relatively short rain-free window in the forecast, my wife and I zipped out to Cascade Locks for a hike to the Pinnacles. There were just 3-4 cars at the Herman Creek trailhead. There was also some broken car window glass on the ground, evidence of a relatively recent break-in. The temperature was around 38 degrees with occasional rain drops or light mist. There was no appreciable wind. The ridgeline was shrouded in mist and clouds.

The trail is in pretty good shape. There were 2-3 small trees across the trail but they were easily stepped over. There is some light debris on the trail but we moved the larger branches off to the side. There were a few muddy spots, mostly near the beginning of the hike. There were two patches of snow to cross, maybe 15-20 feet wide each. There's been enough traffic through them that there are rough, almost flat steps in the snow. Fortunately, they were not sheets of ice. There are a few other patches of snow along the trail but not completely covering it. There is, of course, ample evidence of the Eagle Creek fire. We explored the pinnacles for a few minutes. Sometime this winter a tree went down along the side trail up to the rocks. We got the larger broken branches off the trail but there are still one to two that you might have to lift out of the way. There is an older blowdown on the other side but it doesn't affect the trail.

Herman Creek and Pacific Crest Falls have plenty of water flowing. Be careful of your footing when you cross the creek below the waterfall. The crossing is about 8 feet wide now and just deep enough to make it difficult to judge your footing. What may look and initial feel solid may not be. You don't want to fall into the rocks like I did. Despite that, it was a nice hike and a reasonable way to justify a stop at Thunder Island Brewery.

The ridge peeking out from the clouds
IMG_5672.JPG
Herman Creek
IMG_5675[1].JPG
creek

Pacific Crest Falls
IMG_E5683.JPG
The Pinnacles with an older blow down in the mix
IMG_E5681.JPG

Skyguide

Re: Herman Creek TH to Pinnacles, 3/3/2024

Post by Skyguide » March 4th, 2024, 1:03 pm

Love that first shot peeking out! I'll have to put this on the list to check out.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 4th, 2024, 1:38 pm

I used to access this trail from the other end pretty frequently. At some point I realized that every problem I ever had on this trail disappeared as soon as I passed Dry Creek Falls. Definitely a nicer hike from the other end, with more options as well. The parking lot is an issue, but I usually go to the alternate trailhead. I feel like the people invariably shooting across the street tend to discourage anyone who might be inclined to mess with cars.

drm

Post by drm » March 7th, 2024, 11:51 am

Anybody know where snow starts going up Herman?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 8th, 2024, 11:12 am

drm wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 11:51 am
Trail is bare as far as Casey Creek but there are a few small patches of leftover snow and ice from the January storms here and there. I was there on Wednesday this week.

Here's the trail on Jan. 29th, about mile 2.2:

Same place on Wednesday:

Looking at the Casey Creek sign this Wednesday:
Attachments
IMG_2254.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pdxalex

Post by pdxalex » March 8th, 2024, 2:30 pm

drm wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 11:51 am
I didn't mark the snow on my Gaia app. Both were after crossing the Herman Creek bridge, one between the bridge and the junction with the PCT. The other between the junction and the Pinnacles.