Exploring/Reviewing Timothy Lake (a crown jewel of Mount Hood National Forest)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Re: Exploring/Reviewing Timothy Lake (a crown jewel of Mount Hood National Forest)

Post by adamschneider » February 12th, 2024, 9:16 am

I'm not gonna argue about it. I'm mostly just unimpressed by Timothy Lake. 🤷

retired jerry

Re: Exploring/Reviewing Timothy Lake (a crown jewel of Mount Hood National Forest)

Post by retired jerry » February 12th, 2024, 9:37 am

Talking about camping is good, not everyone can do major hiking.

It's fine to include links that are close to hiking. If someone posts links about, for example, wedding dresses or test tutoring they get quickly deleted, it's the principal of the thing.

I really appreciate trailperspective's posts. A little different direction from many of the posts on this site.

I really appreciate Adam's posts, and especially https://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » February 13th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Just posted this moments ago, Ranking the 7 Backcountry Campsites of Meditation Point at Timothy Lake, West Shoreline of Lake, $10 per night (as of Feb 2024), pretty epic Backcountry Camping Zone, kind of like the bunny hill version for beginners I'd say, but a great way for people to cut their teeth on the whole Backpacking ritual in a very safe and sanitized manner before they go on more ambitious true backcountry adventures:

https://youtu.be/9NKcypuCdmU

Posted this yesterday, a very short one minute dose of some near sunrise Beauty at "The Cove" Day Use Area of Timothy Lake with some pretty epic ominous ambient mood lighting for a day of exploratory Hiking:

https://youtu.be/Hz6o6dnjnEw

Lastly, posted this, I throw some shade at Little Crater Lake, I attempted to use it as my access point for the 13 Mile Circumnavigation Hike but the boggy swampy planks were flooded, so I had to turnaround and drive around to Hoodview Campground to start the Hike. I know it can be pretty with the right light, but I prefer Tamolitch and Clear Lake, much more epic areas I'd say if one simply seeks some mineral colored blue water.....I think Little Crater Lake is frankly only famous because of its location and proximity:

https://youtu.be/QPkEdVIDn7M

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 13th, 2024, 2:30 pm

I've been to Little Crater Lake and it's been fine, probably drier then. Better views and more crowded at Timothy Lake.

Little Crater Lake itself isn't much - a lake with some downed trees in it.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 13th, 2024, 3:18 pm

LCL itself isn't much, but LCL Campground is notable as one that can be easily used year-round even after it's "closed."

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » February 13th, 2024, 3:49 pm

adamschneider wrote:
February 13th, 2024, 3:18 pm
LCL itself isn't much, but LCL Campground is notable as one that can be easily used year-round even after it's "closed."
That's good to know, I didn't know that.

Speaking of year round Campgrounds, I very recently went and scoped out Trout Creek Campground North of Madras, Central Oregon, on the Shoreline of Lower Deschutes River. It's run by BLM and open year round since its only @ 1300 FT. Roads were completely clear and only 1 of the 25 Campsites were taken, its $8 per night, pay with an envelope type deal. I was pretty blown away by the quality of some of the Sites right on the River. I actually did a full Campground Review of each site I'm going to post on Saturday. Pretty epic fishing area too and a Boat Launch that is unobstructed and usable right now.

datura

Post by datura » February 13th, 2024, 5:00 pm

Pfft, I think Little Crater Lake is adorable! Small, yes, maybe closer to Little Crater Pond rather than Lake, but it's a very attractive example of what it is. No, it's not epic. It's worth visiting anyway. I like its color and clarity and its setting, and it's a short, easy walk to the lake from the parking area (for those who can't or don't want to walk far). Yep, people use the campground even after it's closed for the season.

I was there on a sunny autumn day when the grasses and leaves were turning and things were pretty dry. It was lovely even with the crowds. The surrounding forest is nice, too, as is the walk over to upper reaches of Timothy Lake. I wasn't circumnavigating Timothy Lake, though! Nor was I doing this during the wet season.

I've done some canoeing in Timothy Lake and plan to go back with a kayak at some point. The wind kicks up later in the day but it's fun to explore the shoreline while the water is relatively calm.

Thank you for the campground and campsite reports.

dirtman

Post by dirtman » February 13th, 2024, 5:05 pm

I lead a backpack trip for Boy Scouts around the lake and we camped for free at the north end somewhat close to Little Crater Lake. There was also a really nice free site on the east shore.

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » February 14th, 2024, 6:08 am

datura wrote:
February 13th, 2024, 5:00 pm
Pfft, I think Little Crater Lake is adorable! Small, yes, maybe closer to Little Crater Pond rather than Lake, but it's a very attractive example of what it is. No, it's not epic. It's worth visiting anyway. I like its color and clarity and its setting, and it's a short, easy walk to the lake from the parking area (for those who can't or don't want to walk far). Yep, people use the campground even after it's closed for the season.

I was there on a sunny autumn day when the grasses and leaves were turning and things were pretty dry. It was lovely even with the crowds. The surrounding forest is nice, too, as is the walk over to upper reaches of Timothy Lake. I wasn't circumnavigating Timothy Lake, though! Nor was I doing this during the wet season.

I've done some canoeing in Timothy Lake and plan to go back with a kayak at some point. The wind kicks up later in the day but it's fun to explore the shoreline while the water is relatively calm.

Thank you for the campground and campsite reports.
hahahaha well said yes Little Crater Pond is a better descriptor :lol:

I haven't had the pleasure of Kayaking it yet. The wife and I have a couple Pungo's and a couple origami style Oru's, very different experience Kayaking depending on the kit choice. I have designs to do a hybrid style Backcountry Camp at T1 or T2, which are only about 3 minutes down the trail from the Southshore Day Use Area by the Dam. By being so close to the Day Use Area I can take the car camping creature comforts like full tent and cooler, but get the benefits of the Backcountry Camping feel, also would launch the Kayaks at Day Use at paddle them over to the Campsite. I have a video I'm going to release just showing the Day Use Area hiking to each of the first 4 Backcountry Campsites, T1 - T4. There are 41 Backcountry Campsites overall around the Lake, T1 - T40 (and they put in T30.5 but didn't want to renumber them all hahahaha, hence 41 not 40).

Here is a link to PGE's Dispersed Camping Map.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/416ywc1laq ... _-_v12.pdf

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 14th, 2024, 6:16 am

I camped at Trout Creek once - yeah, nice campground. Few people in the off season.

North of Maupin, and further north past Sherar's Falls there are a lot of similar BLM campgrounds. I like Beavertail because there is good bighorn sheep habitat on the other side of the river.

You can see the dots:
20240131_135825.jpg
zoom in:
20240131_135825re.jpg