Alsea Falls & Green Peak Falls 02-01-2024

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
happilyretired

Alsea Falls & Green Peak Falls 02-01-2024

Post by happilyretired » February 1st, 2024, 2:18 pm

Another unexpectedly nice day in the Willamette Valley, so I drove an hour north to check out Alsea Falls Recreation Area. I pretty much followed the route from the Field Guide, with a little bit of poking around side trails. As far as I could tell, I was the only one there, so I could have taken some of the longer routes without running into bikers, but six miles was enough for me today.

Alsea Falls itself is easily accessible from the picnic area parking lot, and as you'd expect from the recent damp weather had plenty of flow. BLM seems to have given up on keeping people to a single path, and put gravel down on a bunch of herd trails down towards the edge of the falls. I guess that cuts down on the number of idiots who slip and fall in.
P2010004.jpg
Alsea Falls
From there I took the optional loop trail, which wind uphill through an area that's been logged off at least once, maybe more. There were occasional views here, but nothing to write home about. A few sections were steep, but overall this hike is an easy walk in the woods.
P2010012.jpg
Heading up the hill
After a while the trail comes out on a road. There are still occasional signs to assure you that you're headed in the right direction. For the most part the trail is good-condition singletrack, with only a few muddy spots.
P2010014.jpg
Road walk across the loop
After looping back to my starting point, I headed up the river to Green Peak Falls. A few steep climbs crossed little hills, but much of this was absolutely flat. The BLM has tried (with varying success) to close off shortcuts and herd trails with flagging tape, cord, and (in one case) a poison oak sign - though I actually didn't see any poison oak in this particular spot.
P2010021.jpg
Beware of plant
Just before McBee Park someone has set up a dilapidated tent-and-tarp long-term campsite. I'm not sure whether it was occupied or not, but in any case I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me.

Green Peak Falls itself was worth the hike - better looking (I think) than Alsea Falls, and it was possible to get right down into the spray at the base.
P2010030.jpg
Green Peak Falls
It was also possible to get to the top of Green Peak falls, via a knotted rope that someone has strung down the bank. The spot where it's anchored to the remains of a dead tree halfway up looks pretty sketchy, but it seemed sturdy enough. I didn't climb the whole thing, given the fact that I've only got about 1 1/2 working arms due to elbow and shoulder issues. There was also evidence of people bushwhacking across to the top, but trying to do that over uncertain footing in heavy fern undergrowth didn't strike me as something I particularly wanted to do.

Overall, a nice hike and a good dose of solitude, but not a real workout.
Attachments
P2010039.jpg
The route to the top

TrailPerspective

Re: Alsea Falls & Green Peak Falls 02-01-2024

Post by TrailPerspective » February 2nd, 2024, 9:46 am

Thank you for posting this! Great pictures, area looks nice, particularly those Waterfalls! I had never actually heard of this area until I just saw/read your Trip Report, thus you've taught me something new today, so I thank you! :)