An expensive hike to Tunnel Falls - 2023-12-28

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jett Powered

An expensive hike to Tunnel Falls - 2023-12-28

Post by Jett Powered » January 2nd, 2024, 11:25 am

AllTrails Log
Flickr Album with more photos

I set out early to make sure I'd have enough time for driving to the trailhead, hiking the 12.5 miles, and getting back to the car before dark. I was surprised at how many other cars were already in the lot before 9am. The weather was expected to be pretty good for late December in Oregon. Low 40s with a slight chance of rain and a slight chance of sun.

The epic Eagle Creek Trail doesn't delay in giving the hiker a memorable gorge experience. Within the first ¼ mile I could simultaneously see a half dozen seasonal waterfalls, with the creek and hills framed by low clouds sticking to the trees. You almost immediately find yourself climbing along a slightly narrow rocky ledge with water dripping down all around. It quickly becomes difficult to choose between watching your footing and watching the scenery. This is not a hike to do if you're in a hurry. Give yourself permission to spend a lot of time standing and staring.

Despite all the stopping to stare at the scenery that I wanted to do, I also knew that my goal was to make it to Tunnel Falls with enough time that I could possibly also go to Twister Falls and still make it back to the car before dark. Even though I had a flashlight I knew I didn't want to spend any time hiking this trail in the dark.

It wasn't long before I started encountering other hikers. I saw one guy risking it all for a good photo of Punch Bowl falls. He seemed to be doing ok but I stayed in the area long enough to make sure he was able to scramble back up. After that I continued to trade places with maybe 3 dozen other hikers trying to take it all in while still continuing to push forward. Almost everyone was pretty friendly and equally in awe. I only encountered one loud group of young people who didn't seem terribly interested in nature. I even saw a few trail runners. I can't imagine actually running along this trail. The combination of rocky footings and steep drops made me nervous for them!

I don't think I've ever seen this many waterfalls so close together. They seemed to be hiding everywhere. At one point I turned my head and in my periphery I noticed a big falls way up the hillside to the east that I couldn't even hear. I could have easily passed right by it without even noticing. I suspect this could have been Sorenson Falls?

Crossing Wy'east Creek was intimidating but fine. I don't love creek crossings. Someone more adventurous than me was there first and made an attempt to cross on some rocks but quickly found them to be far too slippery. He got very lucky and narrowly avoided sliding into the creek. He showed me what not to do….then he selected another option crossing on some logs. His second attempt went much better so I followed his path.

When I arrived at Tunnel Falls there were a decent number of other hikers hanging out all around it and taking photos. It was a bit congested for my taste, especially with the steep drop offs everywhere. I went through the tunnel, got a couple photos, and decided there was no need to push ahead to Twister Falls today…I'd be coming back and would check it out when I'd have more daylight at my disposal.

As soon as I turned around it started to rain enough that it was time for a rain coat. There's something magical about being in the elements with appropriate gear.

It was starting to get kinda late and I knew that in order to get back before dark I needed to stay focused and move faster than I did on the way out. The hood of my raincoat worked as blinders and allowed me to avoid getting distracted. The rocky trail was starting to wear on my feet so my pace slowed, but eventually I made it to the car just before dark.

I texted my wife to say I was heading home. I started to pull out of my parking spot and then… HHIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Well fuck. I had grazed the natural rock curb and sliced a huge gash in the sidewall of a tire. I wasn't surprised when fix-a-flat proved not up to the task. No spare tire… Thankfully I had a cell signal and started figuring out WTF to do. Eventually I found a tow company with a driver available. I am not a car person and quickly learned that because my car was all wheel drive I'd need to replace all 4 tires. Fun. Then I found a place in Hood River that could have new tires for me the next day. So I waited for the tow, we dropped the car at Point S in Hood River, and got a ride from the tow truck driver to the Hood River Hotel.

This was only supposed to be a day trek costing close to $0. Suddenly I was paying for a tow, 4 new tires, a hotel stay, and several meals. If there is any silver lining it is that Hood River is a great town setup for tourists. I got the last room at the hotel and suspected that if there was more snow on the mountain I wouldn't have found a room available. By the time I got to the hotel my feet were starting to get cold and I was thrilled to change into fresh dry socks. Thanks to the Boy Scouts for teaching me to be prepared! I walked to Pfriem and enjoyed a hot meal and a couple beers.

Of course I woke up long before sunrise and spent the early morning starting this report and figuring out what to do between 5am and late afternoon when I expected my car to be ready. Breakfast at Broder was an amazing treat. I walked many miles going to all the shops up and down Oak St. Bought a book at Artifacts, loitered and read in a couple coffee shops, tried to avoid the crowds as much as possible, had to work to convince the art gallery owner that I wasn't there to steal, buy, or sneak photos of the art, and opted not to walk up the Hood River City Stairs.

My car was ready around 2:00. The awesome manager at Point S picked me up and delivered me to my car. I arrived home 24 hours later than initially planned.

2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_1.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_2.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_3.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_4.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_5.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_6.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_7.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_8.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_9.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_10.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_11.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_12.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_13.jpeg
2023-12-28-Tunnel Falls_14.jpeg

Don Nelsen

Re: An expensive hike to Tunnel Falls - 2023-12-28

Post by Don Nelsen » January 2nd, 2024, 12:09 pm

Good TR and nice photos. Great write up, too! Looks like you made the best of your problem, too.

That no spare tire thing has kept me from buying a new or newer car for years. Tesla, Mercedes, BMW and probably others no longer have a spare. You can buy a spare for those cars but there's no good place to put it and you have to buy a proper jack as well. I've had flats in places with no cell service and in places AAA won't go and the modern low-profile tires have weak and vulnerable side walls making unrepairable flats easier to acquire. That's my experience, at least.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » January 2nd, 2024, 1:48 pm

Was 100% expecting this to be a break-in story. Although I guess that would have been more convenient for you, I'm still relieved to find it's a crappy luck story rather than a crappy people story.

Sorry that happened to you. Good on you for making the best of a bad situation. And those treacherous old tires were not your friends. You're better off without them.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 2nd, 2024, 8:09 pm

Way to make lemonade from the situation! :) Still wrapping my head around the idea that cars are made without spares...? Mine are old -- a 2005 Highlander and 2014 Subaru, ancient by today's standards, I suppose. I did buy a tire inflator to carry with me after limping home with a rapidly deflating tire awhile back -- didn't want to bother with the spare, so I was pumping it up every few miles. It's one of those lithium battery air compressors (shaped like a hand drill) that both charges and powers from the outlet in your car.

Tom :)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 2nd, 2024, 10:54 pm

Splintercat wrote:
January 2nd, 2024, 8:09 pm
Still wrapping my head around the idea that cars are made without spares...?
I think it's just a cost-saving thing. What blows me away is that some new cars not only come without a spare tire, they also come without a place to put one!

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » January 3rd, 2024, 9:14 am

Aside from the initial panic and anxiety that I wasn't going to find anyone to tow me or a shop with the right size tires it turned out fine. Expensive, but fine. I was worried about a break-in and naively not worried about a flat tire. Another lesson learned.

The car is an EV so they used up all the available space to stuff more batteries in. No spare and no dedicated place for one. I think I might buy one anyway and toss it in the car when leaving the city. I'm never hurting for cargo space.

In October I went to Cultus Creek in Indian Heaven and don't want to think about how much that tow would have cost or how long it would have taken to get to me. And no way would I have ended up in a town as nice as Hood River!

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » January 3rd, 2024, 10:39 am

Jett Powered wrote:
January 3rd, 2024, 9:14 am
I think I might buy one anyway and toss it in the car when leaving the city. I'm never hurting for cargo space.
I have a donut for my GTI but I always throw a full size spare in the back if I am going to be doing a lot of gravel or heading way off the grid. When I did the Dempster Highway last year I didn't get any flats but the peace of mind that came with having two spares was really nice. I have a set of low-profile all-seasons and a set of chunky winters/offroad and I steal my full size spare from whichever set is not currently mounted to the car.
instagram: @remyodyssey

ezra

Post by ezra » January 5th, 2024, 12:04 pm

This doesn't help you now - but for future reference - you don't always have to buy 4 new tires. Tire Rack will allow you to buy 1 tire and they will shave it down to the right depth so you can use it with the other tires. https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ti ... 235415952/ I discovered this a few years ago and have found it super helpful.

It also works with dually tires where you don't want a big difference between depths. Buying tires is always disappointing for me - I spend a lot of money and I have...the same thing I had before I spent the money. :D

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 5th, 2024, 12:31 pm

ezra wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 12:04 pm
Buying tires is always disappointing for me - I spend a lot of money and I have...the same thing I had before I spent the money. :D
Isn't that true of pretty much EVERY expense with cars? Hell, it's true of home repairs too. And healthcare!

drm

Post by drm » January 14th, 2024, 1:32 pm

First we got those little spares, but I think cell phones had something to do with getting rid of all spares, in addition to cost and space, since you can call from any place that normal people go. And modern tires just don't have flats as often. It's been many years since my last one, but that was up on Adams, and was sure glad I had a spare as there would have been no cell signal.

I just bought an EV too and have some decisions to make about better tires, spares, etc.