Multorpor Mountain and Loop 10/23/2023

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sugar Pine

Multorpor Mountain and Loop 10/23/2023

Post by Sugar Pine » October 25th, 2023, 10:23 am

Should have saved this hike for a clear day, but having snowshoed in the area, I've wanted to hike to the top of Multorpor, so did that and the loop.
Recent work on the powerline road, now a fiber cable route, was rather unattractive.
Powerline Road.jpg
The trail to the summit was pretty easy to find, but being shown on Gaia maps was helpful. There was a short, steep step up due to the road work.
Trail to the Peak.jpg
The trail up was steep and had a few downed trees to cross, but not bad. No views from the top this day.
Multpor Mountain.JPG
Other than the powerline road and through parts Skibowl, it was a pleasant walk on trails and old forest roads.
Leaving the Powerline Road.jpg
Skibowl.jpg
The southern "tail" of this loop is odd. Maybe it was added for mountain bikers who wanted a longer route and more elevation loss/gain? Lorain's Afoot & Afield, second edition, doesn't show that section. Snowshoeing in 2017 we shortcutted the loop, although perhaps didn't see the actual trail under the snow.
Multpor Loop.PNG
This hike likely a one and done for me, unless I take the field guide's recommendation and come back for huckleberries.
Last edited by Sugar Pine on October 27th, 2023, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Re: Multorpor Mountain and Loop

Post by Splintercat » October 27th, 2023, 3:03 pm

Thanks! Great report! That is one trail that I've had on my list ever since Doug published that guide -- still on my list. The road "improvement" is a bit jarring, but at least the trailhead is still detectable...!

-Tom :-)