Standley Cabin/Bear Creek Guard Station (Wallowas) 9-19/20-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Standley Cabin/Bear Creek Guard Station (Wallowas) 9-19/20-23

Post by bobcat » September 25th, 2023, 11:01 am

Standley Cabin

One of the notable aspects of this ridge hike is simply the drive in. Sullivan warns that the 16½ mile drive takes an hour from the Wallowa Highway, and I sort of pooh-poohed that, thinking maybe the Subaru could get up there in perhaps 45 minutes or less. Indeed, the first 10 ½ miles along Big Canyon Road was excellent, although narrow, gravel, and I moved along at a 35 mph clip. Then I turned up the 050 spur and began lurching up on a narrow track surfaced with large aggregate. I knew this was a popular trailhead for hunters, and I dreaded encountering a couple of horse trailers trundling down from the trailhead - no place to pull off. Once high on the ridge, the road becomes a narrow shelf track with magnificent views and steep drop-offs, but with more places to pull off. This is where I met the only other vehicle. At the Bear Wallow Trailhead, I looked at the time and - yes- it had taken exactly an hour!

Bear Creek and Baker Point from the road, Standley Ridge.jpeg

Bear Wallow is a large trailhead, but no one was there except me, and the expanse of grass that has taken over the space told me it probably doesn’t get as much use as it once did. In fact, the Forest Service discourages passenger cars and RVs from making the drive. Some large but old patties reminded me that the area is sometimes a hangout for a privately-owned escaped buffalo herd that meanders around these parts. The buffalo are technically illegal since they don’t have a grazing permit, but they have managed to breed successfully and increase their numbers. The trail begins on what was an old road bed and, for the first four miles, bisects the areas of 2009 Big Sheep Ridge Fire and the 1994 Fox Point Fire. Young lodgepole pines and a few larches crowd the trail, and the trenched, rocky single track belies the fact that much of the route actually follows an old jeep road. The trail makes a swing through the dry meadows on the west side of Bald Knob, where I passed through an unburned area and got views down towards Big Canyon and across to Cougar Ridge.

Bear Wallow Trailhead, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Among the lodgepoles, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Larches and 2009 Big Sheep Ridge Fire across Doe Creek, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Traversing Bald Knob, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Looking down Doe Creek, Standley Ridge.jpeg

Then the path stays pretty much on the crest. Because of the fires, the views have opened up, particularly to the east over Doe Creek to Fox Point and then to Huckleberry Mountain above the Bear Creek valley. I was able to identify Twin Peaks, one of the higher Wallowa summits, but others were not in view. Fall colors were beginning to show. I suspect the trail gets logged out every year as the deadfall is plentiful. Eventually I left the burn and entered a subalpine fir wood, where brand new signs indicate the junction with the Dobbin Creek Trail, which runs 3½ miles down to the Bear Creek Guard Station, mostly through the burn area.

Narrow crest, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Mountain ash, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Blueberries. Standley Ridge.jpeg
Rubber rabbitbrush (Ericameria nauseosa), Standley Ridge.jpeg
Lodgepoles and logs, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Fresh cut, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Scarlet paintbrush (Castilleja miniata), Standley Ridge.jpeg
Pearly everlasting, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Dry meadow, Standley Ridge.jpeg
New signs, Dobbin Creek junction, Standley Ridge.jpeg

As per Sullivan’s suggestion, I left the trail at a dry meadow to reach a viewpoint on the rim overlooking Dobbin Meadow and Dobbin Creek. Fox Point is on the ridge above the meadow. Farther away, I (or rather my Peakfinder app) could distinguish Elkhorn Peak, Eagle Cap, Lookout Mountain, the Matterhorn, Sacajawea Peak, Twin Peaks, and Ruby Peak.

Skeleton, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Dobbin Meadow, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Looking down Dobbin Creek, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Meadow near the cabin, Standley Ridge.jpeg

From here it was a short distance to Standley Cabin, which was built in the early 1900s as a base for range studies, e.g. determining the capacity and quality of pasturage, etc. This was a time when sheep grazing dominated the high ridges and meadows of the Wallowas and hiker tourists were not a thing. The cabin is in good shape but locked shut, with metal grates over the windows to prevent vandalism. It is located on the edge of a lush meadow with islands of subalpine fir around. A roughly hewn plank chair on the front porch was where I chose to partake of my luncheon.

Standley Cabin, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Door and plank chair, Standley Cabin, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Broken ladder, Standley Cabin, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Subalpine fir meadow, Standley Cabin, Standley Ridge.jpeg

Then I took a walk around the area. There are trails that lead up the slope to the west to another rim viewpoint. Just south of the cabin is Standley Spring, the source of Deer Creek. It is a covered spring with a pipe, so the water should be safe to drink. Beyond the spring is a large campsite in the trees, and I saw signs hunters had stayed there in the last few days. After this, the Standley Ridge Trail becomes the Bear Minam Trail, and the junction is the southern terminus of the Cougar Ridge Trail. A hundred yards past the Cougar Ridge junction is the junction with the Washboard Trail. The Washboard is probably the most unsung trail in the Wallowas, a high 11-mile open ridge hike ending near Bear Lake, averaging 7,500 feet, with fantastic views all the way. But then it doesn’t have a trailhead (Bear Wallow is the closest), and there’s no water. Most of the trail is within the footprint of last year’s Sturgill Fire, but I can hardly imagine that blaze incurred much damage to the tread.

Standley Spring, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Sign at spring, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Junction with Bear Minam and Cougar Ridge trails, Standley Ridge.jpeg
Junction with the Washboard Trail, Standley Ridge.jpeg

Bear Creek Guard Station

I camped at the Boundary Campground, up Bear Creek only nine miles south of Wallowa. From my campsite, I walked down the road to the trailhead the afternoon before. This was definitely the most “hunted” trail of the hike, several trucks and at least four horse trailers filling up the parking area. However, more than half of them drove out later that evening.

I had picked this trail, a low elevation creek hike, because rain was predicted for the day. It was dry when I started out in the morning and crossed Bear Creek. Although this is a creek hike, Bear Creek has carved a sheer-sided gorge in places, so at times I hiked up on 100-foot cliffs, where I could get views down to the creek as well as up the valley to the Fox Point ridge. I passed the much-arborglyphed sign at Baker Gulch, probably 50 years of wanna-be-famous-somewhere vandalism on display. I looked for the abandoned Baker Trail about ¼ mile after the sign but couldn’t see anything.

Looking at the Bear Creek Trailhead, Bear Creek.jpeg
Bridge over Bear Creek.jpeg
Gorge walls from the bridge, Bear Creek.jpeg
Looking up Bear Creek.jpeg
Ponderosas above the creek, Bear Creek.jpeg
Looking down to the creek from a cliff, Bear Creek.jpeg
Clifftop view to Fox Point ridge, Bear Creek.jpeg
Baker Gulch sign, Bear Creek.jpeg

Past the wilderness boundary, I was basically hiking an alley hemmed in by undergrowth and tall spruce and Douglas-fir. The rain had begun in earnest, and I donned full waterproof gear. The mushrooms were erupting and Indian pipe had emerged in large clusters in one area. I passed the junction with the Goat Creek Trail, which rises 5¼ miles up Huckleberry Mountain, and crossed Goat Creek on a wide bridge. To the left was one of those well-appointed hunting camps, with someone seated under the kitchen tarp warming himself at a blazing fire. There were other empty campsites down to the right.

Wilderness sign, Bear Creek.jpeg
Along the Bear Creek Trail.jpeg
Suillus mushroom, Bear Creek.jpeg
Dyer's polypore (Phaeolus schweinitzii), Bear Creek.jpeg
Ringed milkcap (Lactarius zonarius), Bear Creek.jpeg
Indian pipe (Monotropa uniflora), Bear Creek.jpeg
Junction with Goat Creek Trail, Bear Creek.jpeg
Bridge over Goat Creek, Bear Creek Trail.jpeg

Shortly after this, an unmarked junction indicated that I should peel off down to the right. First I passed an outhouse and then reached the Bear Creek Guard Station, another one of those early 20th century backcountry cabins. Four donkeys and mules were clustered under the trees. They were not tethered but each wore a donkey bell. They regarded me balefully but then ignored my presence. There were no humans about, so I assume they belonged to the hunter’s camp I had just passed. There’s a small meadow here where they could graze. The cabin itself is locked up. It served as the center of ranger operations in the region, and a porcelain insulator on the side indicates where the line came in, down Dobbin Creek, from the Standley Cabin up on the ridge. I visited a broad cobbled bar on the creek and then returned to the trailhead for the drive back to Portland.

Junction with the guard station trail, Bear Creek.jpeg
The outhouse, Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg
The Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg
Hunter transport, Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg
Above the door, Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg
Line insulator, Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg
The creek at the Bear Creek Guard Station, Bear Creek.jpeg

Bosterson

Re: Standley Cabin/Bear Creek Guard Station (Wallowas) 9-19/20-23

Post by Bosterson » September 25th, 2023, 1:45 pm

Another good trip, John. I've camped at Boundary camp a number of times (back when it was free!! :shock: It was an unsung secret of the western Wallowas, but they added a campsite fee a couple years ago) and have been to the guard station, but never did the drive up to Bear Wallow. On the Bear Creek trail, you'd have to do a like 16 mi loop up to Standley cabin, including a ford of Bear Creek (and I've always gone there for Fourth of July, so the water was rushing), so I never got up there to see the cabin. It's a nice pocket of the Wallowas. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 25th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Nice report and photos John. I did not know about that area, so thanks. Those cabins are really interesting.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 25th, 2023, 4:06 pm

Nice report

There's a self sustained buffalo her there now??? Is that an invasive species? Is there enough genetic diversity for long term survival? Are there paths to any other buffalo herds?

Those are probably rhetorical questions :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 25th, 2023, 6:35 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 4:06 pm
There's a self sustained buffalo her there now???
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-nort ... regon.html

However, all the news stories are dated 2011. Once the story went viral, the owner came forward and said he was going to try and corral a few. There hasn't been any news since. Cattle are not run around Bear Wallow, so I'm pretty sure the patties I saw were buffalo, but they were old.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 18th, 2024, 6:39 am

have you done any good trips there benjamin2?