Catherine Creek Meadows/China Cap 9-17/18-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Catherine Creek Meadows/China Cap 9-17/18-23

Post by bobcat » September 22nd, 2023, 1:43 pm

A backpacking trip had been planned, but as the departure date approached, I grew increasingly anxious about an ailment I’ve acquired in the last couple of years. At about the six-mile mark on a hike, I develop a rather excruciating myalgia in my left side neck and shoulder. I could stop for a while and let it wane, but it always comes back, or slather the area with a salve, which only relieves for half a mile at a time. This only happens when I’m hiking alone, not with others.

Thus I dreaded a solo backpack and the idea of enduring this pain for miles on end out in the wilderness. I decided on four days of Wallowa day hikes, which would allow me to turn back without being too far in if things got bad. I was also able to poke my nose into parts of the range I hadn’t been to before.

Catherine Creek Meadows

I camped at the primitive campground at the North Fork Catherine Creek Trailhead with a few cows for company. The campground is technically free, but you need a Northwest Forest Pass to park a vehicle there. There was no wilderness permit box. The trail heads up the North Fork and soon crosses it. You’re basically under tree cover all the way to the meadows, sometimes passing high above the creek. Mushrooms were erupting everywhere. There were three small creeks to cross before the first meadow. The wilderness sign is brand new and already sports an arborglyph from this month! Anyone know a W.S. we can turn in for vandalism?

Trailhead, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Footbridge over the North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
From the footbridge, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
New wilderness sign, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Through the spruce, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Broken footbridge, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Western painted suillus (Suillus lakei), North Fork Catherine Creek (1).jpeg
Dyer's polypore (Phaeolus schweinitzii), North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Amanitas emerging, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Short-stemmed russula (Russula brevipes), North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Trail on the bluff, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg

Just before the first meadow, the trail forks, with the left fork leading to a large hunter’s camp. Shortly after I entered the meadow, I saw a couple of people across the creek. There’s a good campsite on the trail and next to a small creek. In the open meadow, another small stream has flooded the trail and the area around it, so you have to walk up to the right if you want dry feet. A rotting post marks the “junction” with an abandoned trail that comes down from Meadow Mountain.
Camp at first meadow, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
View to Cartwheel Ridge, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Trail post and flooded trail, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Looking back across Catherine Creek Meadow, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg

I passed through a stand of trees to reach the second meadow. Both Sullivan and Barstad write of an obvious fork where the main trail branches off to the left. It is no longer obvious, and I missed it completely. The obvious path was a spur to the Catherine Creek Cabin, where there were a couple of newly erected horse hitches. There’s a double door, unlocked, so I peeked inside. The windows were all boarded up, so it was very dark, but I could see a couple of cots and chairs, a wood stove, and a counter table. Someone had hung a bag of horse feed from a beam.

Catherine Creek Cabin, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Door, Catherine Creek Cabin, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg

Walking back, I was able to discern a faint tread branching northwest through a break in the trees. This was the continuation of the North Fork Catherine Creek Trail. I followed the route to the creek and a ford. I didn’t make the ford, but supposedly the trail soon reaches the junction with the Crib Point Trail, which leads steeply up to Deadhorse Flat on Cartwheel Ridge. The backpack I had been contemplating would have taken me up these indistinct trails, along Cartwheel Ridge to Lackeys Hole, and then back along the North Fork. None of these trails has been maintained recently.

Cut logs, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg
Near the ford, North Fork Catherine Creek.jpeg

China Cap and Burger Pass

At the Buck Creek Trailhead, there were a few vehicles, some obviously hunter’s rigs. However, I met only one (very talkative) hiker the whole day. I took the Elk Creek Trail up through some open forest and a clearcut planted with larch. At times, the trail follows an old road bed. Soon, there’s a junction with the Cúuy’em Creek Trail: this trail could be used to make a day loop with the Elk Creek and China Ridge trails. Cúuy’em (pronounced something like “soo?yum” - ? = glottal stop) is the Nez Perce word for fish. It replaces the word squaw, this being one of at least 55 places in Oregon that no longer display that moniker (except on all currently available maps).

Through the grouseberry, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
Cúuy'em Creek junction, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg

Eventually, I passed the wilderness sign and began to get views up to China Cap and across Cúuy’em Creek to Cúuy’em Butte. The trail passes up an avalanche corridor, where a massive cascade of snow from Burger Butte snapped off dozens of trees a number of years ago. Then I reached the unsigned junction with the China Ridge Trail.

Cúuy'em Butte from the Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
China Cap from the Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
Junction with the China Ridge Trail, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg

I took this trail up more open and meadowy slopes to the saddle just west of China Cap. The views from the saddle stretched to the west, north, and east. I picked up the climber’s trail on the north side of the saddle. This took me up through a dazzling, late-blooming display of lupine and then crossed over to the south side. I stayed with this route a little too long and found myself far below the crest, so clambered up through knotweed meadows to keep below the rock outcroppings on the ridge. Soon I was at the basalt summit block of China Cap and worked my way around the south side to find the easy scramble route, with plenty of ledges, to the summit area.

Subalpine parkland, China Ridge Trail.jpeg
Looking down China Cap Creek from the saddle, China Ridge Trail.jpeg
Lupine display, China Cap.jpeg
Hairy arnica (Arnica mollis), China Cap.jpeg
Whitebark pine and Elkhorns, China Cap.jpeg
Showy daisy (Erigeron speciosus), China Cap.jpeg
Fleeceflower meadow, China Cap.jpeg
High Hat Butte from China Cap.jpeg
Whitebark pine on China Cap.jpeg
On the scramble, China Cap.jpeg
The summit, China Cap.jpeg
Ropy lava, China Cap.jpeg
Buckwheat pincushions, China Cap.jpeg

From China Cap, the views are unobstructed in all directions. To the west are the Powder River valley and the Elkhorns (Van Patten Butte, Mt. Ruth, Mt. Ireland, Rock Creek Butte, Elkhorn Peak). Just to the north are Burger Butte, Granite Butte, Mule Peak, and the peaks above Tombstone Lake. Working around from there I made a list of all the major peaks that were visible: Krag Peak, Red Mountain, Needle Point, Cusick Mountain, Glacier Peak, Eagle Cap, Pete’s Point, Hurricane Ridge, Aneroid Mountain, Brown Mountain, Glacier Mountain, Matterhorn, Sacajawea, Hurwal Divide, Chief Joseph Mountain, Elkhorn Peak, Twin Peaks, Sturgill Peak. High Hat Butte’s basalt formations were visible up China Ridge. Below, China Creek joined the Minam on one side, and the Elk Creek valley with Burger Meadows were on the other. The summit register records a visit every few days in the summer. One recent signer claimed to have broken the ascent record: 99 minutes from the trailhead!

Cúuy'en Butte and Meadow Mountain from China Cap.jpeg
China Cap Creek to the Minam, China Cap.jpeg
Granite Butte, Tombstone Butte, Wolfe Point from China Cap.jpeg
Lower Burger Meadow from China Cap.jpeg
Upper Burger Meadow, Sand Pass, Burger Butte, from China Cap.jpeg
Red Mountain and Krag Peak from China Cap.jpeg
View to Needle Point from China Cap.jpeg
Looking towards the Matterhorn and Sacajawea from China Cap.jpeg

I returned to the saddle via the easier route, just below the crest on the south side, and then made my way up to Burger Pass via the Elk Creek Trail. Here, you cross some big slopes of white granite and come close to Burger Butte, where outcroppings of columnar basalt are visible. From Burger Pass, you have to move around a bit, but you get closer views of Granite Butte; however, you cannot see the Burger Meadows. There are decent views of the south Wallowas, from Needle Point to Aneroid Mountain.

Through the granite rocks, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
White granite and Burger Butte, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
Columnar basalt on Burger Butte, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
At Burger Pass, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
Granite Butte from Burger Pass, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg
Eagle Cap from Burger Pass, Elk Creek Trail.jpeg

It was on this hike that I finally figured out how to control the myalgia. A friend had noted a few weeks ago that, since I never experienced the pain when hiking with someone, it must have something to do with the almost constant conversation and turning of the head. I found that, every time I felt the muscle tension coming on, just swiveling my head from side to side a few times mitigated the issue. I had to do this every few minutes for the last half of every hike, but at least I didn’t have to stop. Over the four days in the Wallowas, I managed 48 miles without serious problems.

retired jerry

Re: Catherine Creek Meadows/China Cap 9-17/18-23

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2023, 1:56 pm

thanks for the report, nice pictures, I haven't been to that part of the Wallowas

myalgia? arborglyph? I am getting my cultural education today

nice you figured out how to control it, still hiking

at age 69 I walk fewer miles than I used to, and I'm slower. It took 8 hours to walk 8 miles and 2400 feet elevation gain from Sandy River up to Paradise Park.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 22nd, 2023, 2:38 pm

Hey John, glad you got out there. When I went to the Catherine Creek Cabin in 2019, it looked like some people were staying in it as an alternative to camping. I don't think I mentioned this in my report back then, so here's a couple pics. Interesting to see the lushness of Catherine Creek Meadow in July in my pics vs dry September in yours! (Hopefully that improved the bug situation though, they were pretty bad for me.)

So for getting to China Cap, you parked up at the end of Rd 7787? I started from Rd 100 along the Middle Fork Catherine Creek - I hadn't realized that the little trail segment I took up to Elk Creek trail was the same trail as what is now the Cúuy’em Creek Trail, which drops down to that road before it apparently continues back up the other side. (I think I'd originally been planning to do a loop and come down that trail back to the car, hence parking off to the north.)

I'm slightly confused about your "easier route" coming down off the summit block - I went up the south ridge to those nice stair steps that go up from the south, but then coming down I contoured along the bottom of the block going north until I encountered that user trail back to the NW saddle - but I think I was OTing it until I encountered the trail, so I'm still not sure where it actually goes to reach the summit. On the way back, it sounds like you detoured south on Elk Creek Trail to Burger Pass - but if you couldn't see the meadows below, were you actually at that false pass right at the south end of China Cap ridge? (The meadows would be blocked from there by a hill, perhaps.)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 23rd, 2023, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the report! Both those hikes have been on my list for awhile so I appreciate the intel.
retired jerry wrote:
September 22nd, 2023, 1:56 pm
myalgia? arborglyph? I am getting my cultural education today
LOL! I had the same reaction. I'm pretty well-read but I had to look up both those words. Seriously, though, that pain you were experiencing sounds unpleasant but I'm glad you discovered a pretty easy solution.

I hiked up Mule Peak back in August. That trail doesn't seem to get much traffic, and one section through a large meadow was pretty faint, but it had been cleared of blowdown this season. That corner of the Wallowas seems to have low visitation.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 23rd, 2023, 3:30 pm

I've heard of Fibro Myalgia

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 23rd, 2023, 4:10 pm

Bosterson wrote:
September 22nd, 2023, 2:38 pm
When I went to the Catherine Creek Cabin in 2019, it looked like some people were staying in it
It looks much better inside in your photos than when I saw it (however, now your photos seem to have disappeared).
Bosterson wrote:
So for getting to China Cap, you parked up at the end of Rd 7787?
Yes, at the Buck Creek Trailhead. I contemplated the loop as well, using China Ridge and Cúuy'em Creek.
Bosterson wrote:
I'm slightly confused about your "easier route" coming down off the summit block
Sounds like I came down the same way you did, from the summit block keeping to the crest or near it and then ducking below the outcroppings. There's no trail up there that I could find. Going up, I followed the user trail over the ridge from north to the south side. It then inexplicably went on a level traverse at about the 8,000-foot level, so I cut up towards the summit block.
Bosterson wrote:
were you actually at that false pass right at the south end of China Cap ridge?
No, I just followed the trail to Burger Pass. Maybe if I had descended more on the other side, I would have seen the meadows, but they weren't visible from the pass itself. The open area there is surrounded by trees anyway. Funnily enough, the only hiker I met on the whole trip had wanted to camp at Burger Meadows, but somehow he missed both meadows completely and ended up down at Elk Creek.