Lookout Mountain/Palisade Point/Flag Point (29 July 2023)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ACuteSushi

Lookout Mountain/Palisade Point/Flag Point (29 July 2023)

Post by ACuteSushi » September 16th, 2023, 7:14 am

***DON'T CLIMB UP IF YOU CAN'T CLIMB DOWN***

Start: High Prairie Trailhead

Parking: Gravel road but not too bumpy, medium gravel parking lot. Northwest Forest Pass.

Distance: 11 miles

Gain: 2,300'

Summits: 6,500', 5,800', 5,600'

Directions: Started on the trail across the road from High Prairie Trailhead. Followed 1 and 1/4 miles to junction with Gumjuwac Trail, went left. Shortly after, I took the spur trail on the left that spiraled around to the summit of Lookout Mountain. Backtracked to main trail, which now went downhill. After 1/3 mile, there was a junction with an unnamed trail; I went straight. The next junction was with "Oval Lake", continued straight again. About 1/4 mile after this, the trail came up to a small clearing on the right on top of the ridge. Here, I backtracked up the rocky ridge to Palisade Point, scrambling a bit. Backtracked to the main trail and continued for a few miles until reaching a 5 way intersection. Gumjuwac Trail on the right was closed. The service road on the left was also closed. Of the two open service roads, I took the one on the right. Followed this, past a closed gate, to its end at Flag Point. The restrooms were opened and the lookout tower was staffed. The staff was kind enough to invite me up and let me take a look around.

Conditions: The main trail was mostly clear, with a few down trees and close brush between Palisade Point and the 5 way intersection. Steepness was mostly easy, with a couple short, moderate sections. From High Prairie Trailhead to Lookout Mountain there were tons of wildflowers. The scramble up to Palisade Point was mostly Class II with two short Class III sections.

Worth It?: If the lookout tower is staffed and they let you up, then yes. Otherwise, it's a once every decade kind of hike for me.
Attachments
Lookout Mountain.jpg
Hood from Lookout Mountain