Reflection day, Mt Hood from Burnt Lake 7/9

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Reflection day, Mt Hood from Burnt Lake 7/9

Post by pdxgene » July 9th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Well Monday's pictures were so disappointing I had to go back and take one more shot today before the trees pop back up and block this usually brush covered viewpoint... A combination of the snow on the lake being gone (no white reflecting back into the sky) and waiting until 3pm to take the first picture made a huge difference. So after wasting most of five hours sitting on a log dipping my feet into the water to cool off (it's not quite ready for swimming yet), the results were pretty nice....
FL000003.jpg
FL000001.jpg
FL000007.jpg
FL000008.jpg
And one from the regular viewing spot where I spent the day waiting to take the rest of the pictures. Not a bad viewpoint to pass the day. I kept waiting for something to happen, but other than the occasional fish jumping, nothing really did. And that was ok too...
FL000015.jpg
If you wander up that way the next few days, and if you follow those flags into the lake, there is one drawback. It brings you out wheret he campsites are and opposite where the mountain views are. The lake extends a few extra feet until it drains a bit so you cannot just walk the trail back to the day use sites and the views. You either have to go around the lake through the snow or double back and cross that outlet creek. I think within a day or two it'll be easy to cross at the normal spot. I cropssed theret he last couple times and it's not too bad. Your feet might get wet but I had them in the lake all day anyway so I wasn't too worried about that. The forest from the trailhead is a sea of green right now...
FL000022.jpg
Bunch more pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/BurntLake15
Substitute a 14 for the 15 and the best of a bad bunch from Monday are there. The difference a couple hours of waiting for the light can make...

retired jerry

Re: Reflection day, Mt Hood from Burnt Lake 7/9

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Wow! All the snow is gone off the lake! Nice!

Paul

Post by Paul » July 10th, 2008, 9:11 am

Looks good Gene. I hope to get up there soon. Maybe this next weekend. :)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 10th, 2008, 9:39 am

Lovely photos.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 11th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Thanks so much for the timely report. I am hoping to hike the Burnt Lake Trail one day this weekend. Quick question about the driving directions to the trailhead:

In my guidebook it says to "Drive 2.5 miles on FS Road 1825 and just past the Lost Creek Campground enterance, turn left on a gravel road for 1.3 miles to the trailhead". Looking at the trailmap, it looks like the gravel road is actually before the campground, not after it. Is the gravel road well marked? Does it have a number? Thanks a bunch!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 11th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Actually, the paved road ends right at Lost Creek Campground. You turn right to get into the campground. You go straight, on the road that becomes gravel, to get to the Burnt Lake Trailhead.

No signs.

see http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 11th, 2008, 8:54 pm

retired jerry wrote:Actually, the paved road ends right at Lost Creek Campground. You turn right to get into the campground. You go straight, on the road that becomes gravel, to get to the Burnt Lake Trailhead.

No signs.

see http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead
Thanks Jerry