Patjens Lakes 7-23-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Patjens Lakes 7-23-23

Post by bobcat » July 28th, 2023, 11:39 am

This six-mile loop is a decent diversion if you’re going over or staying near Santiam Pass. I had last hiked it many years ago, before the Shadow Lake Fire devastated the area in 2011, the scar of that fire merging with the giant imprint of the 2003 B & B Complex fires.

The trailhead begins at Big Lake, a popular camping spot for both ATV and boat owners. The day was warm and somewhat hazy (I didn’t know the Bedrock Fire had already begun down the Fall Creek valley to the west). I passed a tarn and a linear meadow before turning up a slope to get views to double cinder cone of Sand Mountain and its lookout. After passing into the Mt. Washington Wilderness, I got a longer vista to Three Fingered Jack and Mt. Jefferson.

Trailhead, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Skyrocket (Ipomopsis aggregata), Patjens Lakes.jpeg
The meadow west of Big Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Mountain thistle (Cirsium remotifolium), Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Mylitta crescent (Phyciodes mylitta), Patjens Lakes.jpeg
View to Sand Mountain, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Entering the wilderness, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Mt. Jefferson and Three Fingered Jack, Patjens Lakes.jpeg

The trail switchbacks down from a saddle and soon enters a shaded slope of montane old growth. Popping out of the old growth, I came to the shore of the first (and smallest) Patjens Lake, more like a pond. The three other Patjens Lakes came in rapid succession. I liked the third lake best, so that’s where I sat and had lunch.

Into the old growth, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Washington lily (Lilium washingtonianum), Patjens Lakes.jpeg
First Patjens Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Looking across the second Patjens Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Spiraea and third Patjens Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Fourth Patjens Lake and Peak 5197, Patjens Lakes.jpeg

The trail then took a course along a broad depression known as Hidden Valley. There were views back to Mt. Washington through the blackened snags, the air now having cleared up a little. Following the shore of Big Lake, I could see directly across to Hoodoo Butte and Hayrick Butte. The trail splits, with an “unmaintained user trail” with a few logs across taking me directly to the west campground, teeming with humanity on a hot and sunny Sunday, and then the trailhead.

Mount Washington from Hidden Valley, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Hoodoo Butte and Hatrick Butte across Big Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Mount Washington and Big Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg
Hayrick Butte across Big Lake, Patjens Lakes.jpeg