Bald Butte from the north 6-5-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Bald Butte from the north 6-5-23

Post by bobcat » June 7th, 2023, 3:38 pm

I had always wanted to “complete” the Surveyors Ridge Trail, having never walked the far northern section, which begins near Pine Mont Road about 10 miles south of Hood River. Two forays in years past were stifled when (1) I arrived at the trailhead at the same time as a fleet of motorcycles which buzzed up the trail kicking up a huge cloud of dust, making the idea of a sortie rather unprepossessing; and (2) a timber sale had closed the trail temporarily.

Indeed, this section of the trail is really a rubbly old road that doubles as a motorcycle track and is also traveled by mountain bikers and horses. There are no signs forbidding motorcycles, and specifically designated motorcycle paths peel off the Surveyors Ridge Trail here, so I assume it’s legitimately one of those ‘big tent’ trails that embraces all types.

North trailhead, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Sign at north trailhead, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg

It was a quiet Monday when I arrived this time and headed up the route in shady woods. Only a small paper sign marked the trail and the 300 motorcycle trail also comes in here. There’s a large clearcut on the lower section of the trail, and I took the first singletrack to stay in the forest. Up on the ridge, I hit a clearcut and the Surveyors Ridge Trail again, getting views to the Washington peaks.

Douglas-fir forest, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Red columbine (Aquilegia formosa), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Little wild rose (Rosa gymnocarpa), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
View to Indian Mountain and Green Point Mountain, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Nine-leaf desert parsley (Lomatium triternatum), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg

I took very meandering biker diversion on the east side of the ridge which I would not recommend and then hit the main trail at the only official sign I saw. Several road tracks start branching off, so you have to be careful to stay at or near the ridgecrest. Soon the trail became a tunnel of green on the last long ascent to Bald Butte (luckily, I didn’t meet any motorbikes here, coming or going).

The only trail sign at the north end of the Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Adams and Rainier from the Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Spotted coral root (Corallorhiza maculata), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Fine-tooth penstemon (Penstemon subserratus), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Harsh paintbrush (Castilleja hispida), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Northwestern balsamroot (Balsamorhiza deltoidea), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Below Bald Butte, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg

It was prime time for wildflowers, with the balsamroot going off in the exposed summit area. Of course, the view to Mt. Hood is magnificent, and there were excellent views down the Hood River Valley as well as to peaks on Waucoma Ridge (Indian Mountain, Green Point, Defiance). I encountered five motorcycles on the quiet Monday (two singles and a group of three), all polite and gone before I knew it. Don’t go on a weekend, though.

View to Mt. Hood from Bald Butte, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Spurred lupine (Lupinus arbustus), Bald Butte, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Western groundsel (Senecio integerrimus), Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
Mt. St. Helens from Bald Butte, Surveyors Ridge Trail.jpeg
** For wildflower IDs,, you can run your cursor over the image.

adamschneider

Re: Bald Butte from the north 6-5-23

Post by adamschneider » June 7th, 2023, 8:07 pm

It's too early for Penstemon procerus; that's probably P. subserratus.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 8th, 2023, 6:36 am

Yes! Thank you. That one had completely slipped my mind . . .

12XU

Post by 12XU » June 14th, 2023, 8:05 am

FWIW, there are lots of moto-legal trails near Surveyor's, but Surveyor's itself is officially closed to motos.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 14th, 2023, 3:31 pm

The 300 motorcycle trail transitions to the 300 ATV/motorcycle trail a.k.a. Survyeors Ridge Trail at the north trailhead, at least according to the Hood River County Tree Farm Map. It looks like the Surveyors Ridge Trail is coded O.K. for ATVs all the way to the summit of Bald Butte.