Snake River Trail #1726

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
DONQ

Snake River Trail #1726

Post by DONQ » May 26th, 2023, 6:41 pm

Coming to Temperence Creek Ranch.JPG
I started this hike with some trepidation as I had heard rumors of blackberry jungles and unfordable creeks. I could not get any meaningful updates (including here); so, I am posting this report.

Snake River Trail #1726 Saddle Creek to Pittsburgh
Approximately 23 miles
Hiked May 17-20, 2023

This trail is beautiful and a good early season conditioning hike. It is accessible in early spring. There is ample water and abundant campsites. The trail never goes up more than 300 feet.

IMG_8507.JPG
The tread can be faint at times; but, the route is pretty obvious.

Trail.JPG
Trail (2).JPG
Trail 3.JPG
Trail 4.JPG

We saw a mountain goat while boating down to Saddle Creek. The only large creatures I saw on the trail were a coyote and several deer. There were many turkeys and lots of Chukars.

IMG_8543.JPG
I accessed the trail by jet boat from Hells Canyon Dam, and then used a jet boat again at Pittsburgh to ferry me across to Pittsburgh Landing. My Prius could drive to both the dam and Pittsburgh Landing.

There indeed is blackberry bushes at moist areas; but, the trail was well maintained.

IMG_8501.JPG
The only time I had to get my feet wet was crossing Sluice Creek.

Sluice Creek.JPG
A tremendous amount of effort was used in constructing the trail.

IMG_8489.JPG
Eagles Nest.JPG

Some things that make this trail a challenge are: logistics of getting to the trail's start and finish, jet boat traffic (though I can't bite the hand that transported me), snakes (I saw 2 nonvenomous snakes), ticks, some poison ivy, minimal shade (don't hike in 102 degree weather like I did), and possible bears (I did see some scat).

The trail is little used. Mine were the only tracks for a substantial portion. I only met one person the whole way-- the caretaker at Temperence Creek Ranch. I have hiked the Idaho side- Granite Creek to Pittsburgh Landing- twice now, and I think I like Oregon side better.
Attachments
IMG_8527.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG
Trail 4 (2).JPG
Start at Saddle Creek.JPG

retired jerry

Re: Snake River Trail #1726

Post by retired jerry » May 27th, 2023, 5:42 am

thanks for the report, some day I'll make it there

that looks like a bear in that one picture (but it's not)

drm

Post by drm » May 27th, 2023, 7:34 am

How did your car get from the dam to Pittsburgh Landing? Linear one-way trips are a lot of logistics. I would just go out and back.

I did Saddle Creek to Temperance Creek many years ago in a loop from Freezeout.

Some day I want to see how close I can get my Subaru to Dug Bar, which is the northern end of the trail, and hike it from there.

Jerry - If he had just stepped on that bear, he wouldn't have had to get his feet wet in Sluice Creek! But stepping on bears is not recommended. :lol:

DONQ

Post by DONQ » May 27th, 2023, 12:37 pm

My wife drove from Hells Canyon Dam to Pittsburgh Landing. She also, several years ago, drove our Forester to Dug Bag. It apparently is a rough, slow road. The animals are turkeys.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 27th, 2023, 4:41 pm

drm wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 7:34 am
Some day I want to see how close I can get my Subaru to Dug Bar, which is the northern end of the trail, and hike it from there.
Unless things have radically changed, you can get your Subaru to Dug Bar. Don't do it after recent rains, but otherwise, it doesn't present a big problem. I did it in a 2006 Honda CRV at the beginning of May and without issue. It's a wonderful drive.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 6th, 2023, 8:06 am

Thanks for this wonderful report! This is reminding me again that I need to get to this area at some point. I explored Hells Canyon a good deal the last three years while working on my most recent book but I never got to river level along the Snake for a variety of reasons. This is an inspiration!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 6th, 2023, 3:48 pm

Thanks for the intel on the Oregon Snake River Trail south of Pittsburg Bar. Previous research indicated recent maintenance had been done in that direction up to a certain point. There is an interactive trails map on the Wallowa-Whitman FS website for the Wallowas and Hells Canyon areas. The interactive map had been down recently, but it's back up again. Something changed since I last used it, and it's not as good as before, but still a good source of information. The link is below.

https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapvi ... c93603d998

Still, the best source of information is first-hand from someone who has been there. The Wallowa Mountains Hells Canyon Trails Association has done some good work and have some good updates on their website:

https://www.wmhcta.org/trail-projects/project-calendar
https://www.wmhcta.org/2020-2017-gallery

Expect to see more trip reports from me from Hells Canyon. With the big fire out there last year, conditions may have changed.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports