Ramona Falls: 2023 river crossing

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Ramona Falls: 2023 river crossing

Post by squidvicious » May 17th, 2023, 3:48 pm

Went to check out Ramona Falls today, Weds 5/17. Since my questions on this hike every year are really just 99.9% "What's the crossing like?", this is mostly about that.

Crossing is very good! There's a fat log right in front of you where the trail lets out. It's smooth & barkless, and not level, but most people will probably not have a problem walking across. I watched one woman do just that without hesitation, and she had no problem. Balance beam is not my event, so I did a sit-and-scoot. No pointy branch nubs sticking out, it's plenty high enough off the water, and plenty thick enough to sit easily. There is a big flat rock underneath that you can hop up easily from, and it's only a scoot of a couple yards from there. I'm a river crossing wimp and I had no concerns.

Beyond that, there was no significant snow on the trail and no significant blow down. There was a trail crew working, and the couple small step overs I saw on the way in were gone on my way out. Saw more people than I expected for midweek this early, but not a ton.

The road of course is terrible. Mostly holes too big to drive around now, but not so deep that I bottomed out.

Oh, and there were no pencils in the wilderness permit box, so I was a scofflaw and skipped it.
20230517_111405_resized.jpg

gallione11

Re: Ramona Falls: 2023 river crossing

Post by gallione11 » May 17th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Thanks for this. This used to be a favorite of mine until that Labor Day windstorm completely changed the river area and blew away the two, very easy crossings. I'm now a sit and scoot person as well. No idea what happened -- I'm not THAT old (41 in July) -- but I get up on a log for a river crossing and my legs just shake. Looks like it might be added back in to the rotation this year. Only did it once last year

Sangy101

Post by Sangy101 » May 21st, 2023, 6:33 am

How wide is the log? I’m trying to figure out if it’ll be doable for my doggo. She’s generally much better at log crossings than me, but I’m also an overprotective person cos she is my WORLD.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 21st, 2023, 1:45 pm

How wide is the log?
Big. There's a couple photos from a day ago on alltrails that give better perspective with someone up on it, but I don't think I can direct link to them.

strosinfreddie

Post by strosinfreddie » August 3rd, 2023, 1:38 am

I visited today. The mounds continue to be unreliable. Before the lake, a trail led down to the river; beyond that, the road seemed to end, so I turned around at a large stump.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 3rd, 2023, 5:22 pm

strosinfreddie wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:38 am
I visited today. The mounds continue to be unreliable. Before the lake, a trail led down to the river; beyond that, the road seemed to end, so I turned around at a large stump.
I've found it's best to go past the lake, and take the second trail down to the river. It meets up with the road past the brushy spot, and then it's clear sailing.
I don't know what you mean about the unreliable mounds though.