East Zigzag via Burnt Lake - 7/6 - 7/7

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

East Zigzag via Burnt Lake - 7/6 - 7/7

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2008, 7:02 pm

I had this idea of going to Paradise Park, but there was too much snow so I settled for East Zigzag (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Creek_Hike).

Last year, I was on the Zigzag ridge May 28 and there was about the same amount of snow as now, so we're maybe 5 weeks later than last year. Also, last year, I went up to Paradise Park June 21 and there was negligible snow on the Zigzag ridge, and it's a lot hotter now than it was in June last year, so the Zigzag ridge should be mostly snow free in a couple of weeks.

As others have reported, it's easy to get to within 200 feet of Burnt Lake, then follow the ribbons, over the snow, to the lake.

To get back onto the trail you have to cross the outlet stream, then you find the sign where the trail first reaches Burnt Lake:
100_6502.JPG
The trail follows along the East side of the lake. It's usually covered by snow, but occasionally you can see it. I latched up with someone else headed for East Zigzag, but he gave up after a while because there was too much snow:
100_6503.JPG
As you get past the lake, then a flatter terain, I was unable to find where the trail went because it was totally snow covered. Then you have to go steeply up to the top of the Zigzag ridge. I had my GPS and a waypoint for where the Zigzag-Burnt Lake Trail junction is, so I just went straight for it.

When I got to the junction, I could see where the Burnt Lake Trail went down. On the way back, I could follow the trail pretty good, although there were lots of snow drifts to negotiate:
100_6507.JPG
From the junction, on the Zigzag Trail, it was snow covered at some places:
100_6508.JPG
and clear at others:
10shrunk.JPG
It was helpful having a GPS track to follow.

Burnt Lake from the Zigzag ridge:
11shrunk.JPG
Trail leading up the East side of East Zigzag is totally snow free:
16shrunk.JPG
I camped out for the night just this side (East) of the sign. It was a bit windy and misty clouds came in at one point.

Mount Hood with East Zigzag in foreground (with no snow on the summit now, but a big drift to the North):
100_6517.JPG
The way back down was uneventful. Finding your way in the snow is tricky and much more tiring than if it was the normal trail.

I passed by pdxgene who was coming up to Burnt Lake for the day. Always good to see another portlandhikers.org member.

There were a few groups of hikers every day, but not too crowded. Burnt Lake can get very crowded when it's clear of snow on weekends.

pdxgene

Re: East Zigzag via Burnt Lake - 7/6 - 7/7

Post by pdxgene » July 9th, 2008, 7:45 pm

That was really a surprise seeing you coming from the other direction. I had practically been sprinting from the car trying to pass that big pack you saw after me and once I finally got past them I really didn't expect to see anyone else. Especially heading down that early in the day. As much as we both hike weekdays around there I almost figured we'd stumble upon one another someday...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Did you wonder about the yellow flag on your car seat when you got back?

I hope that was your car : )

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 9th, 2008, 8:03 pm

At first I thought it fell out of my pack but then I realized it couldn't have and amazingly enough figured out you must have found it. I missed two on the way up and found one coming down so you got the other one. I was surprised they were actually pretty well lined up with the trail. I thought I was pretty close that day I set them out but didn't really expect to find them all again.
Just as I was getting back to the trailhead I heard a couple loud crashes from the parking area. I was thinking if someone is breaking into the cars I was going to be so pissed..And that the 5' pole in my hands might find a useful location.. (Especially since my car is unlocked and windows open..). But they were dropping off the porta-potty. Good thing I didn't park between the 'no-parking here' signs. That would've been typical of my luck, the one day they drop the dumb thing off. And those vans didn't leave a whole lot of room to park...