Silver Falls SP

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Silver Falls SP

Post by drm » March 24th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Been many years but I went back, got one of the one cheapo but nice cabins. Did the Trail of 10 Falls, and later, the 214 trail, which is a nice but plain forest hike. Funny that I did Eagle Creek here and less than a week later, that hike. The two best waterfall hikes in the state I would guess.
100_0010.JPG
in the cabin
100_0015.JPG
South Falls
100_0025.JPG
North Falls from way behind
100_0030.JPG
Lower North Falls (?) from not far at all
16 second video from behind Lower North

Water

Re: Silver Falls SP

Post by Water » March 30th, 2023, 6:15 am

cabin looks luxurious by lookout and camping standards :D

Had to lookup the 214 hike. Earlier this year (January?) we did Buck Mountain loop which starts at the Howard Creek TH and while it is indeed 'just a woods hike', on the backend of it there was a ton of impressive old growth my family and I raved about. Some truly massive trees. Also saw just about nobody. 2 equestrians and I think 2-3 hikers earlier on. Otherwise it felt like we were the only people out there on a Saturday afternoon--I was surprised.

cheers
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » March 31st, 2023, 7:20 am

But this cabin just wasn't that much more expensive than camping. Of course everybody camping this time of year was in an RV - they probably had it even better than I did. But it's a lot better than a soggy tent.

My comment about the forest hike was because I comparing it with the Trail of Ten Falls, which I had just finished before lunch.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » April 1st, 2023, 9:38 pm

Can you tell me a bit more about the cabins? Link for more info?

drm

Post by drm » April 2nd, 2023, 7:48 am

The cabins are basically heated, lighted, and dry, with a table and chairs. No water or bathrooms, no cooking inside. You use typical campground bathrooms down the road. There is a covered porch. The heat is electric wall heaters. Two small rooms, sleeps up to six people. Some cabins are ADA accessible and maybe some looked a little bigger. Some allow pets and are a little more expensive for that. They have a four-digit combination that you use to open the front door.

Some state parks have yurts instead of cabins, which I have not yet tried. For me, these facilities are good for off- or shoulder-season visits.