Herman Pinnacles - 2023-03-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Herman Pinnacles - 2023-03-14

Post by dmthomas49 » March 15th, 2023, 5:40 am

This was a nice hike for early in the season. Not much elevation gain, not too long and good trail conditions.
Started the hike at the Trailhead near the Bridge of the Gods at 8am. Temp was about 38. This was my first time on this hike.
IMG_3789.JPEG
Hiked to the intersection with the Dry Creek Falls road. We did not go to the falls.

The trail to the pinnacles was mostly dry. I was pleased with the mild elevation gain after not doing much hiking this winter. The trail crews did a nice job of clearing any trees downed this winter.
IMG_3794.JPEG
We did not encounter any significant snow on the trail. Nice views to Stevenson and Table Mountain.
IMG_3784.JPEG
Table Mountain.JPEG
The pinnacles are a cool rock formation. I would like to know more detail on the formations in this area.
IMG_3787.JPEG
We travelled on to the Pacific Crest Falls. They have a good of water flow.
Pacific Crest Falls.JPEG
The sun came out on our trip back.
The roundtrip took 3 ½ hours.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

squidvicious

Re: Herman Pinnacles - 2023-03-14

Post by squidvicious » March 15th, 2023, 7:24 pm

Thanks for the report. I was just thinking it had been quite a while since I'd been out that way, and wondering if the trail was clear.

pdxalex

Post by pdxalex » March 20th, 2023, 8:35 am

My wife and I had a similar experience going to the Pinnacles from the Herman Creek trailhead. The difference was that the trail, while it is in very good shape, hasn't had a crew go through to remove the 4-5 blowdowns. All of them are in the plateau south of the bridge or immediately after crossing the bridge. They're not challenging to cross though.

Libelle

Post by Libelle » April 6th, 2023, 9:08 pm

My son and I did the same hike from Herman Creek Trailhead up to the pinnacles on March 27. The trail had been cleared of blowdowns by then. We saw a few lovely trillium at the beginning of the hike.

Our only issue was that at the junction with the Pacific Crest Trail, there was no sign for the PCT, so on the way back, we initially missed the trail back down to the bridge. Otherwise, it was a lovely day with some great views across the river to the snow-covered hills.