A nice little snow hike in Forest Park. Feb. 24th

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

A nice little snow hike in Forest Park. Feb. 24th

Post by Don Nelsen » February 25th, 2023, 11:55 am

After my Green Mt. hike on Thursday, I decided I needed some more fun in the snow.

It’s been over 60 years since I’d hiked in the snow in Forest Park. It was late Jan. 1963 and I’d ridden my bike over there, as I sometimes did, to explore the many trails. There wasn’t much snow in my Irvington neighborhood but once I got up to Leif Erikson Drive there was a lot! I rode some and pushed some and finally gave up and returned home. I guess pushing a bike counts as a hike? So, long bike ride, short hike!

Friday was all hike and a lot more fun, especially at the end since I had a nice warm car to return to.

The snow was nice and fluffy with a temperature of about 28 when I started and a bit of wind, but nothing like yesterday. I took the Linnton trail, and the start was interesting, but everything was easy to step over, duck under or go around. Once up past the switchbacks and on FL 10, I could see a set of cross-country ski tracks. Someone was making best-use of the conditions.

The start of the Linnton trail:

Looking back from the stone bridge. Those trees over the trail aren't new - they pose no problem, but make a nice scenic view.

I continued up and came out on Germantown Rd, noting the results of road conditions from the onset of the snow. There were a half dozen abandoned, worse-for-wear cars in a short section near FL10.

I crossed over onto the Cannon trail and after coming out on Germantown again, hiked up the deserted road, then north on the nearly deserted Skyline road and went down Newton. One person’s tracks went about a hundred yards and turned around so I had Newton all to myself.

Snow was deeper here and I soon got tired of plowing through it so detoured down a connector to the WW. I guessed that there would be a tracked route on the WW, but no.

First tracks on the WW:
More plowing through untracked snow and soon back on FL10. Here I met the CC tracks again and they went south on the WW.

I’d had enough, so went back via FL10 and the Linnton trail to my nice soon-to-be-warm car with visions of my hot tub enticing me to hurry home.

5.0 miles 1,346’EG, hike # 24.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: A nice little snow hike in Forest Park. Feb. 24th

Post by Chip Down » February 25th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Thought about that. Figured the drive would be more trouble than it was worth. Maybe should have taken my bike out. You know, from Irvington. Would have laughed if I ran into you there. By the way, I wasn't even alive in 1963. :lol:

Don Nelsen

Re: A nice little snow hike in Forest Park. Feb. 24th

Post by Don Nelsen » February 26th, 2023, 10:01 am

Chip Down wrote:
February 25th, 2023, 8:07 pm
Thought about that. Figured the drive would be more trouble than it was worth. Maybe should have taken my bike out. You know, from Irvington. Would have laughed if I ran into you there. By the way, I wasn't even alive in 1963. :lol:
Most of the roads were fine, at least ones that had had some traffic. Hilly roads, not so much. The day before was a lot worse, but compensated by the fact there were very few folks on the road.

Yeah, being older is fun except it's a little weird being the same age as old people. :D
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller