Mosier Twin Tunnels 1.26.23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Mosier Twin Tunnels 1.26.23

Post by BaileyBoy » January 29th, 2023, 11:30 am

After reading recent posts on Dog Mountain, Bunker Hill and Alpine Lakes I decided to report on my baby hike (walk) in the Gorge. We started at the Mark Hatfield west trailhead which is just past Hood River. It was a relatively sunny day and less wind than other visits but still pretty strong. My two friends and my magic dog Buddy were dressed appropriately and had a great time walking and exploring. Everyone we saw had a smile on their face and said hello or more.
For those who haven't done this walk you can join the trail at a number of places, just check the Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail (you need an Oregon State Park permit or pay a fee using the machine at TH's). It's a relatively flat trail and we covered a little over 10 miles with a few off trail excursions. The surface is paved the whole way since it was the early highway in the area. Beautiful rock walls with arched openings and the tunnels are pretty special, interesting construction and built into solid rock walls, basalt I think.
I caught a view to the north that I think is Mt Adams but it seemed to have Mt Rainier's dome so not sure. Keep in mind there might be lots of bikers and some have forgotten the basic notice rule, on your left. They just whiz by not realizing walkers usually have ear covering and can't hear them coming.
All in all, a great day in January.
IMG_8663.jpeg
IMG_8661.jpeg
108AA210-40B9-4E05-A0A3-462CDF0A3A44 2.jpg

sgyoung

Re: Mosier Twin Tunnels 1.26.23

Post by sgyoung » January 29th, 2023, 7:14 pm

Thanks for the report. At least on my end, I can't see the pictures - it just shows the name of the file.

All the same, I love that area of the gorge. Truly one of my favorite places in the world. For the mountain you saw, I'm almost certain it would have been Adams, but I certainly could be wrong.