Across the Alpine Lakes, Again: Snoqualmie Pass to Icicle Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
leiavoia

Re: Across the Alpine Lakes, Again: Snoqualmie Pass to Icicle Creek

Post by leiavoia » January 28th, 2023, 2:59 pm

Also I think being smelly is a personal decision. I have made a good effort in recent years to wash up with plain water at the end of every day after camp is set up, weather permitting. I will wash myself and my undies and my shirt and hang clothes up to “dry” over night. Even after a week, I can be good enough to go out to eat afterwards if you can excuse my greasy but at least combed hair.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » January 29th, 2023, 5:43 pm

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate
retired jerry wrote:
January 24th, 2023, 6:27 am
good to see alternatives to the over crowded Enchantments
Icicle Ridge - especially the eastern parts - is absolutely fantastic, and, relative to the Enchantments (or even to Robin Lakes or the Mt. Daniel area) basically deserted.
tschalpi wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 12:56 pm
Related, and perhaps of interest: the Alpine Lakes Grand Tour is an established FKT route and UltraPedestrian Wilderness Challenge. More info:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/ultraped ... 058029564/
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/alpi ... nd-tour-wa
Oh nice, thanks so much for posting! That's a really cool route. And your time is incredible! Do you have a trip report or something posted somewhere? I'd love to read more about it!

Charley

Post by Charley » January 29th, 2023, 8:56 pm

RobinB wrote:
January 29th, 2023, 5:43 pm
retired jerry wrote:
January 24th, 2023, 6:27 am
good to see alternatives to the over crowded Enchantments
Icicle Ridge - especially the eastern parts - is absolutely fantastic, and, relative to the Enchantments (or even to Robin Lakes or the Mt. Daniel area) basically deserted.
Totally! I did a loop in fall of 2021 up Chiwaukum Creek, around Ladies Pass, and down Icicle Ridge. We saw a few people in the vicinity of Ladies Pass and Lake Augusta, but the trails were so wild and the larch were beautiful.
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5279.jpeg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 30th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Thank you, Robin, for the beautiful trip report! I used your link to go back to the first half of your report and read both back to back. You'll never know how wonderful it was to read about and see some of the places I never managed to get to while I was still able to hike (I'm now limited by age and debility to around the block with a walker). (Warning to procrastinators!)

I particularly like your empathy with those who enjoy, in their own way, the crowded places like Snow Lake. How else can we preserve wild (or even semi-wild) places if we don't get more people hooked on hiking, even if it means overcrowding the more popular areas?

Charley

Post by Charley » January 31st, 2023, 12:38 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 2:22 pm
I particularly like your empathy with those who enjoy, in their own way, the crowded places like Snow Lake. How else can we preserve wild (or even semi-wild) places if we don't get more people hooked on hiking, even if it means overcrowding the more popular areas?
Hear, hear!!!!!

I think solitude is something a lot of people desire out of their hiking experience, and that's totally okay. I also think it's totally possible to still find that solitude, whether by carefully choosing a lonelier trail, season, day of the week, time of day, or weather circumstances.

As more people move into our region, it's imperative that they understand the value of wilder places. We can foster their appreciation by having an encouraging attitude to the many new and first-time hikers, even if it means knowing that sunny spring Saturdays are going to be busy on the most popular trails.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » January 31st, 2023, 6:24 pm

Wow. I don't think I've ever been so enthralled by a trip report! Loved reading every word! It feels just for a bit, like I was there witnessing all of this!
Amazing.

quail

Post by quail » February 1st, 2023, 8:04 am

Lovely to read in the depths of winter - thank you! Also followed the link to you blog and, wowza, so much great material. I’ve enjoyed reading a post a day with a cup of coffee :) adventure on!

trekkinghigher

Post by trekkinghigher » February 4th, 2023, 10:49 am

The details and pictures here are great. It feels like I was there. Appreciate you sharing this with all of us!
See details for my non-Oregon hikes at https://trekkinghigher.com

RobinB

Post by RobinB » February 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm

Thanks so much for reading everyone! It means a lot.
Charley wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 12:38 pm
Grannyhiker wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Hear, hear!!!!!

I think solitude is something a lot of people desire out of their hiking experience, and that's totally okay. I also think it's totally possible to still find that solitude, whether by carefully choosing a lonelier trail, season, day of the week, time of day, or weather circumstances.

As more people move into our region, it's imperative that they understand the value of wilder places. We can foster their appreciation by having an encouraging attitude to the many new and first-time hikers, even if it means knowing that sunny spring Saturdays are going to be busy on the most popular trails.
Yes! It's always funny to me when people complain about busy trails. Like, if you're there observing the crowd, you're part of the crowd, and thus complaining about yourself.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 7th, 2023, 10:50 pm

RobinB wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 9:15 pm
Yes! It's always funny to me when people complain about busy trails. Like, if you're there observing the crowd, you're part of the crowd, and thus complaining about yourself.
I guess I'm of kind of internally inconsistent on this subject:
1. I actually have hiked Angel's Rest a lot over the last 4 years or so because I have sometimes been lonely, and having other people around enlivens the hike.
2. I never fail to brag about knowing out-of-the-way places (to my friends or even on here) after a long backpack, during which we saw no one else, or only very few parties.

I guess that could sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I guess the upshot is that I'm not complaining about the crowds. :)