Wyeth North Lake 2022/10/29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rubiks

Wyeth North Lake 2022/10/29

Post by rubiks » November 4th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Photo of the Day:
DSC03707.JPG
Wyeth trail in the fog

I saw that the Wyeth trail recently reopened, so I figured I'd scamper up to North Lake and check out conditions on the Wyeth trail on the way. My overall impression was that the trail crews did an excellent job repairing it. Tread was great, and the the trail was well brushed out. It was foggy/drizzly all day so I was concerned that my pants would get soaked by walking through all the encroaching underbrush. That turned out to be a complete non-issue on the recently reopened portion of the Wyeth trail north of the Green Point Ridge junction, and there were only a couple spots between there and North Lake that were overgrown.

There was minimal fire impact on the lower stretches of trail, but as you climb it gets into some completely toasted portions in the middle. The undergrowth is coming back nicely (it's been five years, after all). The trail doesn't exit the burn zone until just before it hits the Green Point Ridge trail. Here are some pictures in order from bottom to top:

DSC03732.JPG
Looking ~north from the first open viewpoint
DSC03540.JPG
Looking ~south from about the same spot
DSC03707.JPG
Wyeth trail in the fog
DSC03699.JPG
On the plateau just north of the GP Ridge trail junction
DSC03567.JPG
Wyeth-GP Ridge Trail junction

There was a low ceiling of fog at North Lake, making for a very tranquil lunch. No snow to speak of, although that might be different by now.
DSC03602.JPG
North Lake and GP Ridge in the fog

I only saw two other hikers all day, both singles, and both between the lake and the GP Ridge trail junction. Never saw a soul on the other 3800'.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Don Nelsen

Re: Wyeth North Lake 2022/10/29

Post by Don Nelsen » November 4th, 2022, 6:26 pm

Thanks for letting us all know this is open! Great TR and photos, too. I might have to wait until next spring until I can get up there with the forecast being what it is - but could get lucky.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 5th, 2022, 6:03 am

Thanks. Yeah, I got to get up there.

I'd like to go up the Tanner Butte trail.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » November 12th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Oh, thought this looked familiar. Took this trail down from North Lake once before the fire. I remember it being a very very very long way down.