looking for Cripple Creek #703 10/8 and 10/15 [and 10/23]

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

looking for Cripple Creek #703 10/8 and 10/15 [and 10/23]

Post by Chip Down » October 16th, 2022, 6:32 pm

Years ago, I drove past Cripple Creek trailhead above Three Lynx, above Hwy 224. My memory, and online photos, show it as a formal signed trail that leaves Pipeline Road and ascends into a dense forest. It's been on my to-do list for years.

A couple years after the 2020 fires, the Clackamas River valley is starting to open up a little. I planned to drive through Three Lynx and see if the trail can still be followed. Pipeline Rd is gated at 224, and public access is prohibited, so I resorted to plan B: continued up 224 to Rd 4630. It's gated, with warning signs, but public access is granted. I was annoyed at the gate, but I also appreciated the seclusion it would grant. I'm in the habit of carrying a bike with me, and it came in handy.

I rode up 4630, and at the Pipeline Rd junction, I opted to turn right and explore nooks and crannies to Lake Harriet, which I found surprisingly crowded. I didn't realize it was accessible from US26 (Timothy Lk). I turned back and returned to the 4630/Pipeline junction. I decided it was too hot to continue, and headed home.

Day 2: Oct 15 was expected to be just as hot (84 predicted in Portland) so I got an early start and pedaled up 4630 by headlamp, then turned left on Pipeline. At the saddle where Cripple Creek TH is situated, I found it slightly burned, with trees cut down (presumably so they don't fall on road). Trailhead is obliterated. I considered fighting my way to open forest where I might find the tread, but remembered poison oak warning in field guide, decided it wasn't worth it.

I wanted to head down and visit Three Lynx, but first I headed up the road to the Oak Grove penstocks. Quite interesting up there. Was surprised I never encountered a gate or sign prohibiting access. From the hill, I could look down and see there was no point dropping to visit Three Lynx, as there is no Three Lynx. It's been completely demolished. All that remains is roads.

I decided the best way to find Tr 703 would be to ride to its crossing on Rd 4635. I explored a bunch along the way, including the beautiful shady Ripplebrook Rd, and then a visit to the site of the Oak Grove Work Center, where I was deeply saddened to find it gone. I wondered if my memory was off, but there were just enough relics to confirm I was in the right place. Continuing on, I started to become concerned it would be miserably hot by the time I arrived at the trail crossing, but it wasn't that bad, owing to shade and breeze.

I knew there was a possibility I'd pass the trail crossing due to lack of maintenance (overgrown) but when I arrived it was unmistakable. To be sure, I hiked up to a sign, and a little further, just to verify it's generally navigable. The other direction, down from the road, it was a little rougher, but could probably be followed.

Looking at the time, and considering I didn't bother with a backup headlamp battery, I decided not to continue up the trail. I didn't have a specific destination in mind, and random exploring doesn't make sense when it's 3 hours from sunset. After a long break at a creekside camp, I started down at 4:00 and enjoyed a leisurely return trip to my car, arriving at dusk.

Other parties: 2 hunters parked next to me on day 2, I saw one cyclist, some people at Lake Harriet, that's all. Oh, and a driver who was trying to get from Harriet to 224, but I told him there's no sensible safe route, better to go back to US26.
Attachments
01.jpg
Trailhead was just left of powerlines.
02.jpg
Three Lynx.
03.jpg
Oak Grove penstocks
04.jpg
Gasket failure.
05.jpg
Leftovers.
06.jpg
Getting my bike across the Frog Lake spillway was interesting.
07.jpg
Abandoned roadside campsite.
08.jpg
09.jpg
Oak Grove Workcenter.
10.jpg
Looking up 703 from road crossing...
11.jpg
...and down.
12.jpg
Mushrooms in gravel road.
13.jpg
Eyeball berries.
14.jpg
Day one refreshments...
15.jpg
...and day 2.
Last edited by Chip Down on October 23rd, 2022, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosterson

Re: looking for Cripple Creek #703 10/8 and 10/15

Post by Bosterson » October 16th, 2022, 10:26 pm

I'm glad to see someone finally get out there to see what's left! I first went out to that area in the spring of 2020 looking for new places to go during the pandemic and got in a couple trips before it was obliterated. In May of 2020, I did a ~23 mi counterclockwise loop from the Cripple Creek TH up to road 130 to road 4635 and then from there out to Mt Mitchell and back on trail 704 to road 140 and back down the Cripple Creek trail. I'm really glad the section above 4635 (between it and road 140, just north of the Cripple Creek Quarry) survived since it was the neatest section - kind of sidehilling and very narrow and had a fun abandoned vibe. The section below 4365, going down to road 130, was kinda steep and duffy in forest and really superb for running down. The section from 130 back down to the TH was nice but also had lots of poison oak, so at least that got nuked. Bummer about the Oak Grover Work Center though - I never saw it but had heard it was neat.

Since knowledge of this area is in danger of being lost post-fire, here is a map of the loop from back then, including a jaunt up the abandoned/obliterated #705 Cottonwood Meadows trail.

Roaring loop.jpg

For your next exploration, since you're on a bike, you should ride 4635 all the way out to where it meets the Dry Ridge trail and then see what's left of that. I did another 20+ mile loop out there to Frazier Mtn and Cache Meadow the weekend before I went to Cripple Creek back in the pandemic spring, and it was also a neat trail.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 18th, 2022, 8:35 am

The title of this blog reminds me of a hike I did back in the early 90s with a Mazama hike leader who had done his hiking in the decades before that. His goal was to have hike the Cripple Creek trail up to Cache Meadows, but he didn't follow the current day's trail, but the original route. We of course never made it, partly because of the overgrowth of vine maple and the newer logging roads which were laid right over the trail. We were certain the old leader was way off course until we found one of the old trail signs on the route. Since the Pit-29 (I think that's the number) and Riverside fires, sadly I think this whole canyon will be eliminated from my future hiking plans. I was pleased to have hiked the Riverside Trail a mere two weeks before that fire broke out, so at least I had that recent of a memory of the area.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 18th, 2022, 9:24 am

Excellent reconnoitre of the area! I'm surprised they let people past the gate on Pipeline at FR 4630. Three Lynx has been designated a hazmat zone although I believe two or three houses are still there. The trailhead below the surge tank is one of those on their list for "repair" (i.e. dealing with hazard trees), which explains the logging there. Which also tells me they might open up the road at some point. The trail is unmaintained but I'm optimistic that it's not lost (although most of that slope got fried in the fire, meaning a tangle of brush now and even more poison oak).

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 23rd, 2022, 7:46 pm

I went back today, because I've been assured that the bottom of Cripple Creek trail has been maintained post-fire. I've seen pictures. Still couldn't find it. :|
Bosterson wrote:
October 16th, 2022, 10:26 pm
For your next exploration, since you're on a bike, you should ride 4635 all the way out to where it meets the Dry Ridge trail and then see what's left of that.
Nope! Turned back by wet sloppy snow, trees drooping over road, inappropriate attire. Huge disappointment, only made it to the Cripple Creek crossing. Last weekend, time was the problem. Today I started up 4635 at sunrise, in light intermittent rain.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Just out in the forest, no trail or anything. Strange placement.
3.jpg
I could have done this all day, but it got much worse.
4.jpg
Overlapping seasons.
5.jpg
Of course.

retired jerry

Re: looking for Cripple Creek #703 10/8 and 10/15 [and 10/23]

Post by retired jerry » October 24th, 2022, 6:00 am

I used to camp at Ripplebrook and hike around there, like on those pipelines. And a reservoir up there.

Good to see it's not all burned up.

I wonder if Ripplebrook campground is open

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 24th, 2022, 3:18 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 24th, 2022, 6:00 am
I wonder if Ripplebrook campground is open
It is not. It burned there, although not nearly as bad as some areas, but there was still a fair amount of damage to the campground. Some of the campgrounds along the Clackamas are completely unrecognizable now. It will be a while before they re-open. I've heard estimates of 1-2 years and for others it may be several years - it wouldn't surprise me if they end up closing some of them due to the damage.
Last edited by RobFromRedland on October 25th, 2022, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 25th, 2022, 5:41 am

that's too bad. Those campgrounds were really nice and close to Portland