Jefferson Park backpack 2022/10/07

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rubiks

Jefferson Park backpack 2022/10/07

Post by rubiks » October 12th, 2022, 8:57 pm

Photo of the Day:
DSC03356.JPG
North side of Bays Lake, looking West

With the Endless Summer we're having, a buddy and I did a quick overnight to Jefferson Park last Friday/Saturday. We mostly wanted to see for ourselves what the Lionshead fire did to the area, and post some pictures here for anyone else interested. Since the four nearest trailheads were closed, this was an out and back from the Pamelia Lake TH.

No sign of any fire until after the Milk Creek crossing. There was some low intensity fire on the PCT between there and the Woodpecker trail junction, but still mostly green and shaded. The PCT from Woodpecker to the Russell Creek was another story, it was completely toasted. This was already burned in the Whitewater fire, and I had hiked it in 2020 before the Lionshead fire. It looked even more burned than before. Absolutely charred with lots of sun exposure. The PCT gets back into some live forest around Russell Creek, and its a mosaic burn through here all the way to Jefferson Park.
DSC03163.JPG
PCT south of Whitewater trail junction
DSC03185.JPG
PCT north of Whitewater trail junction

Jefferson Park was a light mosaic burn. Especially around Bays Lake, there was a perimeter maybe a couple hundred feet around the lake that remained unburned. We camped at site 15, and just from the site there was barely any sign of fire. Camping there felt just the same as before. There was exactly one snag that had burned and fallen over, then burned a small silhouette of ground cover around it. Nothing else touched within a hundred feet. It's striking how capricious and extremely localized a fire can be.
DSC03435.JPG
Burned snag north of Bays Lake

We had planned to hike up to the top of Park Ridge as well, but didn't make it. There was a surprise (to us) reroute of the PCT heading up that did not match any of the maps we had. Between the uncertainty of the new route and extra mileage, we ran out of daylight to make it all the way up. But we stopped at a clearing partway, high enough to survey a lot of the park.
DSC03265.JPG
Russell Lake and Jeff Park from the PCT

The worst burn in the park was the north side, around Rock and Park lakes. We never saw very much burned meadow, but there were some entire stands of trees that went up. It was pretty neat to see how little it took, sometimes only a few feet of bare ground as narrow as a trail, to stop the fire.
DSC03313.JPG
Connector between PCT and Park lake, looking West
DSC03317.JPG
18 inches of tread separating burned from unburned

Scout Lake wasn't totally unscathed, but still came out pretty well. All the campsite on the north side are untouched. You can see a stand of burned trees on the south side of the lake, and beyond that how far the fire went up the north flank of Mt. Jefferson proper.
DSC03343.JPG
Scout Lake and Mt. Jefferson

On a clear and warm Friday night in October, we just about had the entire park to ourselves. We only saw two other groups, another party camping and a FS ranger that was checking permits. Hiking out Saturday, we passed two solo PCT hikers and a few more small groups of backpackers. The combination of a recently reopened PCT, combined with all of the closest trailheads still being closed and a limited number of permits for the remaining trailheads, created a perfect storm for actually having solitude in a place as popular as Jeff Park. I have to think in normal circumstances, every site would've been taken. We also heard reports of a black bear in the area, both from the ranger and another guy hiking out as we were hiking in on Friday.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Webfoot

Re: Jefferson Park backpack 2022/10/07

Post by Webfoot » October 13th, 2022, 10:35 am

Thanks for the report and photos.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 15th, 2022, 12:33 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've never had a chance to explore anywhere around Jefferson. Of the big Cascade volcanoes it's definitely the one I am least familiar with.

I'm also always really curious about post-fire conditions and the slow recovery process that occurs. It's neat to see how this area fared and good to see that, by and large, Jeff Park survived with only moderate damage. One of these days I'll get down there to check it out!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 22nd, 2022, 3:14 pm

Just now seeing this. We were there the weekend before you. It seems like patches of trees throughout the park burned but somehow didn't spread to the surrounding trees. With the intensity of the winds and the speed of the fire it is truly amazing (and wonderful) that all the trees in Jefferson Park didn't go up in flames.

Much of Park Ridge burned, and the fire came right down to the east shore of Russell Lake:

Burned trees on Park Butte:

Intact trees in foreground with burnt trees just behind:

And yeah, until you're about a mile from Jefferson Park the PCT from the south is BLEAK:

I remember reading an article recently that quoted a fire expert and they said something about how for a long time the thinking was that burned areas would be safe islands in a new fire and they wouldn't burn again. In recent years they have discovered that isn't true. This is a good example of that. Burned twice in just three years. I wouldn't have thought it possible.