Lolo Pass TH to Bald Mountain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
longboard16

Lolo Pass TH to Bald Mountain

Post by longboard16 » October 11th, 2022, 7:19 pm

With the extended pattern of warm, dry weather I'm trying to get out as much as possible to either fish or hike, or in some cases both. Today headed up to hike to Bald Mountain from the Lolo Pass Trailhead. Was in no hurry and arrived at the TH at around 10:30 AM. While there was plenty of cars park and more arriving as I was getting my stuff together, actually saw very few people on the trail. Just one woman with a happy dog named Charlie, one couple and then a group of seven hikers that I hike with a short ways.

Not a lot of views on the trail except some limited views of Mt. Hood until the end of the trail where Bald Mountain offered great views and a perfect lunch spot. Those views were clear while the view of Mt. Adams was hazy (smoke). It was my first time on this trail so did not know exactly what to expect although the Field Guide had it pretty well covered. The last portion of the unmarked trail to the top had numerous small logs to cross over and a few to go under. Being 6' 4" going over logs is usually pretty easy but there can be payback on the ones you got to go under.
Attachments
DSC08161.jpeg
View of Hood from Bald Mountain lunch spot
DSC08165.jpeg
Zoomed in view from lunch spot
DSC08212.jpeg
Tree fall on lat part of trail

justpeachy

Re: Lolo Pass TH to Bald Mountain

Post by justpeachy » October 12th, 2022, 6:43 am

Last time I did that hike I had several cars stop at the trailhead while I was getting ready and ask me for directions. They were all aiming for either Ramona Falls or Top Spur but because of the lack of signage they had missed the turn and ended up at Lolo Pass. I think someone could spend a busy morning there giving directions to people who missed that turn.