Mt. Margaret backcountry lakes trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Mt. Margaret backcountry lakes trail

Post by Don Nelsen » September 28th, 2022, 6:50 pm

I set out from the Norway Pass TH on Monday with Kel to attempt a hike to Mt. Venus, and at least got close. I was foiled by the abundant huckleberries - and a slightly sprained ankle. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Kel wisely decided to head out toward Mt. Margaret once we got to the Bear Pass junction. She's always the smarter one for this kind of hike. I headed down to Grizzly Lake once we parted and found one of the best huckleberry crops I've ever seen in this area. Once fat and happy after some serious grazing, I continued along the trail, nibbling my way as I hiked up and down through the lakes.

I hiked as far as the pass between Obscurity Lake (AKA Twin Lakes) and Panhandle Lake four years ago and climbed Peak 5012 (on the map now as Obscurity Peak, 5013') and really enjoyed the beauty of the area. Getting to Mt. Venus was important, but the journey itself was the true treat. Mt. Venus is also the only named peak in hundreds of square miles around the area I have yet to climb - so there's that.

On the trail between Panhandle Lake and Shovel Lake a section of trail gave way and I ended up in the bushes with a slightly sprained ankle. This slowed me down, but I persisted until I could see I wasn't going to get to my final goal and get back at anything like a reasonable time. I ate about a hundred pounds of Huckleberries on the way back and that made up for it. Well, ok, maybe a couple of pounds - at least!

14.0 miles, 3,741' EG, hike #94 for 2022.

A few photos:
Kelly at the start of the trail.JPG
Kelly at the start of the hike
The obligatory shot of Mt. St. Helens from near Norway Pass.JPG
Obligatory shot of Mt. St. Helens from near Norway pass
Grizzly Lake.JPG
Grizzly Lake
Obscurity Lake, AKA Twin Lakes.JPG
Obscurity Lake, AKA Twin Lakes
Panhandle Lake from the east.JPG
Panhandle Lake from the east
Panhandle lake from the west.JPG
Panhandle Lake from the west
Panhandle Lake showing the ridge trail to Shovel Lake.JPG
Panhandle Lake showing the ridge trail to Shovel Lake
Point 5012 (AKA Obscurity Peak) from the ridge.JPG
Point 5012, AKA Obscurity Peak, from the ridge trail to Shovel Lake
Peak huckleberry season!.JPG
Peak Huckleberry season!
Trail above Panhandle lake.JPG
Trail above Panhandle Lake - badly overgrown for several hundred yards. Glad I wore long pants.
Shovel Lake.JPG
Shovel Lake
Green River Valley.JPG
Green River Valley
Turnaround point for me.JPG
Turnaround point
092622 map.jpg
Map of the hike.
Attachments
Panhandle Lake from ridge.JPG
Panhandle lake from the ridge trail
Last edited by Don Nelsen on September 29th, 2022, 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: Mt. Margaret backcountry lakes trail

Post by retired jerry » September 29th, 2022, 5:51 am

I was there a few years ago and there were also abundant huckleberries. Strangely late in the season.