The Bumper

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: The Bumper

Post by Chip Down » October 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm

drm wrote:
October 2nd, 2022, 7:20 am
Chip Down wrote:
October 1st, 2022, 5:26 pm
Cloudy and dry is okay.
Not when you are hiking to a great viewpoint. And I was soaked from the knees down. Sure, it could have been worse, but I am a faire weather hiker for the most part and being stuck in a cloud bank when I know I am at a great view is "not fair."
I hate that soppy-bottom thing. I mean below the knees, not a soppy butt. Although soppy butt sucks too.

My all-time worst socked-in story: sat at top of Skyscraper Mtn in MRNP for a couple hours waiting for it to clear. Never did. That's a long drive, not as if I could just casually do it the next weekend.

six_keys

Post by six_keys » October 21st, 2022, 1:14 pm

Really appreciate the trip report.

This question is for anyone familiar with this trail....looking to hike this on Sunday 10/23. First time in the area and I would follow the route as reported here on OregonHikers. The description mentions multiple creek crossings. Are these fairly mundane? It also sounds like navigation could be a challenge in some spots, so any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

drm

Post by drm » October 22nd, 2022, 7:20 am

Not sure which route you are referring to but creek crossings would be moderate in October. But on 10/23 there will be new snow up there. Today there is a blizzard up there. Tomorrow (Sunday) is forecast to be sunny and cold - 34* for the high.

These areas are transitioning from months of dry to snow with no rain in between.

six_keys

Post by six_keys » October 28th, 2022, 5:08 pm

Thanks! I decided to hike around Mt St Helens that day, but appreciate the general comment on the crossings.