Iceberg Lake Mt Adams 9/08/2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jime

Iceberg Lake Mt Adams 9/08/2022

Post by jime » September 10th, 2022, 7:48 pm

This year, the east side of Mt Adams will only be open until Sept. 25th on the Yakama Indian Reservation. This was a hike from Bird Creek Meadows up to Iceberg Lake. The name doesn't appear on every map and "Iceberg" may not be an official name. It lies at the base of today's Mazama Glacier. A look at the historic 1904 map finds this lake still under the glacier back then. (Blue line is my GPS track ending at the lake.)

The latest map shows how much the Mazama Glacier has retreated. Although, I think this is a little dated and the glacier is even smaller today.

From the Hellroaring Viewpoint the climb trail, also called the Sunrise Camp Trail, is faint at times but mostly easy to follow with the occasional cairn. The Caltopo track is spot on and helpful to have. Once on top of the moraine an orange X indicates where to drop off towards Iceberg Lake. Mostly on a level contour and marked with small cairns it leads straight to the lake.

Goats were seen. Glaciers were viewed. An Iceberg was found in Iceberg Lake. It was a beautiful day!
Attachments
Map_1904.jpg
1904 Map
Map_2016.jpg
2016 Map
IMG_7104.JPG
View from Hellroaring Viewpoint.
IMG_7128.JPG
Top of Moraine. Trail comes up next to snow patch.
IMG_7126.JPG
On top of Moraine, X marks trail heading to lake.
IMG_7109.JPG
Looking back towards moraine you can kinda see path.
IMG_7113.JPG
Iceberg Lake.
IMG_7120.JPG
Mazama Glacier in retreat.
IMG_7121.JPG
Somewhere on far right is Sunrise Camp.
IMG_7144.JPG
Parting view of the mountain.

Chip Down

Re: Iceberg Lake Mt Adams 9/08/2022

Post by Chip Down » September 11th, 2022, 2:41 pm

That's a fun hike. The lake doesn't look that great in the pics above, but it's a neat spot, well worth the hike.

While I have no doubt the glacier has retreated, I would advise caution when it comes to using maps to gauge that. Some maps are really good at showing glacier/snowfield locations, while others are just wildly off.

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Sunrise Camp is at the very obvious notch in the center/right of that photo.

The one time I camped there I was just kinda frustrated ( :evil: ) that in fact I didn't get the sunrise at Sunrise Camp. The ridge has a rather large knoll just east of the camp that blocked it. Of all the places.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 11th, 2022, 6:23 pm

I went up there on 9/7. After I left the lake, I went cross-country to the west and found a lot of wildflowers still blooming, especially around the upper reaches of Dry Creek and Crooked Creek.

Watch out for cow pies. :?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm

drm wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 5:32 pm
Sunrise Camp is at the very obvious notch in the center/right of that photo.

The one time I camped there I was just kinda frustrated ( :evil: ) that in fact I didn't get the sunrise at Sunrise Camp. The ridge has a rather large knoll just east of the camp that blocked it. Of all the places.
Lots of good campsites up on top. ;)
adamschneider wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Watch out for cow pies. :?
Even surprisingly high up the mountain, like right below the moraine zone. I'd be leery of drinking any water in the Bird Creek area.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 11th, 2022, 11:28 pm

Chip Down wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Even surprisingly high up the mountain, like right below the moraine zone. I'd be leery of drinking any water in the Bird Creek area.
Yeah, those Yakama cows are sharing space with the mountain goats. It's weird. (I did find a vigorous spring that was hoofprint-free, though, and I filled my water bottles there.)

drm

Post by drm » September 12th, 2022, 7:32 am

While cows are not supposed to be up there, maintaining a miles-long fence to keep them out is a challenge. The Yakama call the owner to come get them, which he does. But they find ways back up, especially when the grazing below has dried up. The fence is the responsibility of the land owner, not the cow owner. That boundary/fence is around 5000 feet in altitude, though it varies a bit. The road to BCM passes through it a little ways below Bird Lake.

In the past I have participated in monitoring hikes where we walk the fence line to look for damage gaps. The Forest Service also has a section of fence that starts at the east edge of the Aiken Lava Flow and goes to the land boundary, where the Yakama take over responsibility. Every time the fence is fixed up there seems to be another wildfire to destroy it. But I walked it a year or two ago and it was in good shape. Probably some tree snags fell on it.

Gray Jay

Post by Gray Jay » September 12th, 2022, 8:21 am

I encourage anyone seeing cattle at Bird Creek Meadows to report the sighting to Yakama Tribal Forestry, which manages the Mount Adams Recreation Area. Photos and location descriptions are particularly helpful so the Yakamas can call the owner to come get them. The cattle do not belong to the Yakama Nation; they belong to a rancher in the Glenwood area who grazes the open range on private, state, federal and tribal lands. Send your reports to: Yakama Tribal Forestry at [email protected]; phone number (509) 865-5121 ext4613

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 13th, 2022, 12:01 pm

This time limited access interests me. I've never been to the Yakama side of Mt Adams. I'm referring to the Bird Creek Meadows Loop Hike.

Could a 2017 Honda Civic make it to the Bird Lake trailhead?

jime

Post by jime » September 13th, 2022, 12:54 pm

johnspeth wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 12:01 pm
This time limited access interests me. I've never been to the Yakama side of Mt Adams. I'm referring to the Bird Creek Meadows Loop Hike.

Could a 2017 Honda Civic make it to the Bird Lake trailhead?
Yes. The road is actually pretty good gravel now.