East Crater, Indian Heaven 090422

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

East Crater, Indian Heaven 090422

Post by Don Nelsen » September 7th, 2022, 3:08 pm

We decided to give Indian Heaven a try Sunday the 4th given this long stretch of warm, dry weather hoping the mosquitoes were gone. We started at the East Crater TH and were rewarded with a perfect day: light wind, temperatures in the sixties to low seventies and no bugs at all. BTW, the roads in, though gravel and dusty, were fine and could easily be driven by any but the lowest clearance car.

I’d injured my Achilies tendon somehow on a long off-trail jaunt a couple days before so tried to take it easy – but as usual, didn’t take it easy enough. As I write this, it's almost back to normal, so no big deal.

I’ve wanted to get back up East Crater and Kel wanted to do a loop around Clear Lake, so we parted at Junction Lake planning to connect up later. I wanted to take some comparison photos – pre-fire and post fire. I tried a couple of years ago but forget to take my pre-fire photos so wasn’t able to take photos from the exact spots. This time I was better prepared though with a different camera, the shots weren’t perfect but at least close.

I left the PCT about 6/10 miles south of the East Crater junction and headed up through the burned forest. My first goal was to check out a little lake on the west side of the peak I’d never visited before. I wondered if it even existed given the damage from the fire in 2017. Happily, the lake was fine and some of the surrounding trees had somehow escaped the fire.

The lake on the west slope:
IMG_7222.JPG
IMG_7229.JPG
I reached the SW crater rim and proceeded clockwise around to the highest point, taking in the scenery.

A few photos:
IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7239.JPG
IMG_7243.JPG
IMG_7249.JPG
IMG_7253.JPG
I then headed down the steep slope to the center of the crater to see if I could match my photos from July of 2015:
The first photo was taken July 1, 2015, followed by Sunday's comparison.
IMG_7272A.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7273A.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7279A.JPG
IMG_7280.JPG
There’s a good elk trail leading out of the crater I happily used as by now my Achilies was really hurting and I hobbled out over the lowest point on the rim. I rested for a while on the way up, grazing on the voluminous crop of huckleberries along the elk trail. Somewhat rested, I side-hilled it back to the PCT.

Here's the elk trail on the way out:
IMG_7284.JPG
IMG_7289.JPG
I finally caught up with Kel less than a half-mile from the car. Both of us glad to see the other. She shook her head upon seeing me limping and I explained the problem. I started to complain a little and she said “I thought you were Don Nelsen.” All I could say was “I used to be, kid!”

8.3 miles, (1.8 off-trail) 1,668' EG, hike # 90
Last edited by Don Nelsen on September 8th, 2022, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: East Crater, Indian Heaven 090422

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2022, 6:02 am

ha, ha, ha,... even Done Nelson is mortal :)

nice photos before and after fire. Too bad, but it is natural. It seems like it's that way everywhere I go - major recently burned areas

drm

Post by drm » September 8th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Not sure why I have never gotten up there. Don't know how many times I have walked that section on the PCT and looked up thinking it looked straightforward. Might be a good place to go camp when all the lakes are too crowded.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 8th, 2022, 3:31 pm

drm wrote:
September 8th, 2022, 2:54 pm
Not sure why I have never gotten up there. Don't know how many times I have walked that section on the PCT and looked up thinking it looked straightforward. Might be a good place to go camp when all the lakes are too crowded.
I think you could even find some flat ground by that little lake half-way up the west side too.

Here's a composite map of my three hikes.
East Crater Merge to 090422.jpg

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 8th, 2022, 7:08 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
September 8th, 2022, 3:31 pm
Here's a composite map of my three hikes.
Thanks for that map. I compare it to my preferred route, which became nearly impossible to get through after the fire. It was on the north side (N/S direction going up and down). Now I have a few alternative proven routes.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 9th, 2022, 6:35 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 8th, 2022, 6:02 am
ha, ha, ha,... even Done Nelson is mortal :)
Yeah, "Done" was the correct word to describe me last Sunday. :lol: Good typo, Jerry.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 9th, 2022, 6:57 am

too many thumbs

I wish I had done that intentionally :)