All The Way ‘round Mt Adams: 9/2/22-9/4/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: All The Way ‘round Mt Adams: 9/2/22-9/4/22

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2022, 3:03 pm

no trail on east side

Adams is much more difficult than Hood

Hood is more difficult than Three Sisters

drm

Post by drm » September 6th, 2022, 3:11 pm

JBG wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 2:18 pm
Thanks for the great report. Were there many more people doing this particular loop hike? I haven't been up around Mt Adams in a really long time, maybe visited ice caves in the 90's. Looks like similar challenges to Timberline but less accessible in places.
3/4 of it is easier than Timberline and 1/4 is harder.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm

yeah, good point, the west side is just trail with not as much elevation gain as Hood.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 6th, 2022, 5:03 pm

So it sounds like the best route up to Sunrise Camp would be to go up the user trail to the notch on the moraine, up the spine of the moraine to the peak, down to Iceberg Lake crossing on the east side of it, contour up staying on snowfields if possible. I got about half of it right.

Going counterclockwise down the icy Klickitat Glacier might give me pause. I’m sure it would be fine with micro-spikes or crampons, but I would hate to slip and slide into one of those big crevasses.

Regarding difficulty, Dean said it best. Three quarters of it is way easier than the Timberline Trail. The other one quarter is way, way harder. I did pass more people than in the past on the way up to the boundary below Devils Garden. I saw a family of 4-5 at the Little Muddy. And more than one other group at Avalanche Valley. As mentioned, the path to Avalanche Valley seemed a little more used than before.

Gray Jay and his group and I had a longer conversation about people not respecting the rules the Yakama Nation sets. Trespassing when the land is not open, people camping where they’re not supposed to, the likelihood of people not paying the fees, and people riding motorcycles on the trails. Just to recap, if you don’t know the rules, ask, or find out. If the land is not open to non tribal members and you are not a member of the tribe, don’t go there. If a fee is required, pay it. Don’t camp where you’re not supposed to.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Charley

Post by Charley » September 6th, 2022, 5:56 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 5:03 pm
Gray Jay and his group and I had a longer conversation about people not respecting the rules the Yakama Nation sets. Trespassing when the land is not open, people camping where they’re not supposed to, the likelihood of people not paying the fees, and people riding motorcycles on the trails. Just to recap, if you don’t know the rules, ask, or find out. If the land is not open to non tribal members and you are not a member of the tribe, don’t go there. If a fee is required, pay it. Don’t camp where you’re not supposed to.
Good on you for making the trip happen and respecting the Yakama Nation rules! I've always wanted to take this trip, but hadn't seen a way to do it legally. It's back on the bucket list, now.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » September 7th, 2022, 5:24 am

Born2BBrad, that was a terrific report (as always from you), thank you for sharing!

Would you be able to update your original post to include the Yakama phone number that you used? I tried searching for it, and only found the Forest Development number; is this what you used?
The Mission of the Forest Development Program is to protect, preserve and enhance the natural resources of the Yakama Nation, in accordance with the YN Land and Natural Resources Policy Plan, YN Forest Management Plan, P.L. 101-630 and the P.L. 93-638 Contract of the Forest Development Program. The Forest Development Program coordinates with the BIA Branch of Forestry and the YN Natural Resource Programs to provide services of the Yakama Nation that will insure for the maintenance and enhancement of Yakama Nation forest lands. The program is divided into various units that include forest development, fuels management, fee land timber sales, Mt. Adams recreation and campground maintenance.

**The Mount Adams Recreation Area at Tract D will remain closed for maintenance. An update will be provided after August 1, 2020. Please email [email protected] for further information.**

(509) 865-5121 Ext. 4613
The above text was found on https://www.yakama.com/programs/ about halfway down the page, under "Forest Development".

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 7th, 2022, 2:09 pm

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
September 7th, 2022, 5:24 am
Born2BBrad, that was a terrific report (as always from you), thank you for sharing!

Would you be able to update your original post to include the Yakama phone number that you used? I tried searching for it, and only found the Forest Development number; is this what you used?
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the report. I updated the TR to include the YNTF number. The front page of the Friends of Mt. Adams website has the announcement about the YN land opening up. Also, DRM posted that announcement on this website in the "Hiking in the news" forum.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 7th, 2022, 7:07 pm

Very comprehensive report. Never did the loop because it was such a butt-kicker when I could multi-day backpack. Nice to see there is still a required snow crossing, and it hasn't melted away completely.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » September 17th, 2022, 5:53 am

Thanks for the trip report. I am thinking of trying this hike. Looks like you did not have an ice axe, any regrets about not carrying one? We'd also go counterclockwise. Would that be easier or more difficult for any reason?

drm

Post by drm » September 17th, 2022, 7:57 am

I think more people do it CCW to get the hard stuff over first and then you can just cruise the rest. Also, if you are unsure about how you will handle The Gap, you can turn around and not be that far back.