All The Way ‘round Mt Adams: 9/2/22-9/4/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Re: All The Way ‘round Mt Adams: 9/2/22-9/4/22

Post by Born2BBrad » September 17th, 2022, 1:48 pm

Sugar Pine wrote:
September 17th, 2022, 5:53 am
Thanks for the trip report. I am thinking of trying this hike. Looks like you did not have an ice axe, any regrets about not carrying one? We'd also go counterclockwise. Would that be easier or more difficult for any reason?
While I don't claim to be a mountaineer or an expert at crossing glaciers, I don't feel an ice axe is necessary for the section of Klickitat Glacier the route requires. The first time I did it the glacier condition was hard packed snow, fairly early in the morning, and there were no meltwater crevasses. This last time, also fairly early in the morning, it was mostly ice, with lots of gravel, and some meltwater crevasses large and small. A couple of the crevasses were big and deep enough to be dangerous. Both times microspikes and hiking poles were enough and I never slipped even once. It seemed it was easier this last time on the gravelly ice than hard packed snow.

Regarding direction, everyone has their preference. I prefer going up an icy glacier than down, so that's the main reason for me going clockwise.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 17th, 2022, 8:34 pm

Regarding the route between Iceberg Lake and Sunrise Camp:
Easiest way is stay high, pretty much follow a straightish line between lake and camp. Resist the temptation to take a lower shortcut.

A variation: climb up to the high point east of Sunrise, then drop and contour towards Bird Creek as low as possible (follow top of cliffs that drop into Hellroaring). That can be a fun scenic route. But you're more likely to die. :geek:

Rider51

Post by Rider51 » September 17th, 2022, 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this TR. Loved the story, and pictures.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » September 23rd, 2022, 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the great info and inspiration. Just completed the loop, counterclockwise. It was a toss-up on direction but thought it might be best to hike the tough parts while fresh. But, going from near sea level to 8500' on the first day was taxing. Camped at Sunrise, Foggy Flat, and Horseshoe Meadow (no water). Beautiful hike. Certainly one of the most challenging hikes I've done in a while.