Harris Ranch Trail 8-14-22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MagicBandana

Harris Ranch Trail 8-14-22

Post by MagicBandana » August 16th, 2022, 12:36 pm

Just got back from a single night solo backpacking trip in the Drift Creek wilderness. I was looking for somewhere quiet, no road or people noises. The drive in is super sketchy (burned out RV blocking the road, narrow passage, plenty of car-eating potholes), but the hike is worth it.
IMG_20220815_110244511_HDR.jpg
Burned out RV half blocking the road...
I misread the info on this site and thought "6 miles" meant one way, not round trip. (Should have known better - I hiked this before, 7 or 8 yrs ago and didn't think it was that far, but though maybe I was just in better shape then and not carrying a 24 lb backpack??) So I was pleasantly surprised to hit the creek and campsites after only two hours of incessant downhill trekking, not four. The forest service website said there could be some blowdown, but only at one spot was it tricky, and only because of the backpack. Mostly there's a clear way to go up and over, or once I threw my pack under and crawled after it.
IMG_20220814_141749304.jpg
Ahhhh cool water on hot feet
Even on a beautiful summer Sunday, there were very few people, none camping. Three other cars at the trailhead, one couple hiking out after an overnight, and two families playing in the creek. Even if someone had been camping, the space between the sites is big enough to feel alone. While hiking, there was absolutely no noise away from the creek, barely even birdsong or wind in the trees. Since I still had energy (budgeted for six miles, after all) upon arrival, I poked around to see if I could find the crossing to Horse Creek North trail. It's a bit of a bushwhack through massive sword ferns, but I found it. There's a clear trail through the gravel bar - less clear where to get out on the other side. I didn't really want to get my boots wet, but it would be super easy to ford right there, probably not higher than mid-calf.
IMG_20220814_143509350_HDR.jpg
Creek crossing to meet up with north trail if you wanted to do a thru-hike
Finding my way back downstream to camp was trickier - just made sure to keep the creek to my right and found the trail eventually. I also found a much easier and clearer trail headed downstream from the campsites. I could have gone further, but just wanted to chill out at the creek. So many crawdads and soothing creek burbling!
IMG_20220814_170512599.jpg
Campsite with pre-made fire circle, hammock camping setup hidden in background
Realized as I was setting up for dinner that I didn't bring any utensils to eat with. Sigh. Sticking to dry food made cleanup a lot easier - same with packing in the morning. I was surprised at how few mosquitoes there were (relative to my expectations - still came away with a good dozen bites or so). Hammock camping is inevitably colder, and since I traded my sleeping pad (acts as underside insulation) for my camp stove and water purifier for lighter weight (didn't use either), I was freezing all night long. Oh well. More incentive to get up and get moving in the morning.
IMG_20220815_103701016_HDR.jpg
Boulders at the trailhead
Long drive back home - my legs are still sore from the up, up, up on the way out!

bobcat

Re: Harris Ranch Trail 8-14-22

Post by bobcat » August 17th, 2022, 10:37 am

Nice little overnighter - glad you found some solitude. When we were there a few years ago, some campers were feeding the resident giant salamander with bits of crawdad.

That RV is rather creepy. Will have to be dragged out at taxpayer expense, I suppose.