Cloud Cap CG to Lamberson Butte

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: Cloud Cap CG to Lamberson Butte

Post by Chip Down » August 21st, 2022, 10:03 pm

pinecone wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 9:13 pm
I took Stranahan Ridge down to the road crossing the Eliot on the way to Laurance Lake since I wanted to see the new roadwork down there
I'm a little curious. Did they do the bare minimum to re-open it, as has been the strategy in the past?
No criticism implied there, as I recognize it's a tough road to keep open, unless they go the full-blown Hwy 35 treatment.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2022, 5:40 am

"But now I'm hearing it's no better than the improvised upstream crossing? But...but...but...U$F$ always makes our lives easier and our hikes more enjoyable, right?"

Yes, you got it

But I'll give the FS a break because Eliot is so unstable, keeps having massive washouts. Hard to find any solution.

I think the "cliffs" of unconsolidated material are easier on the lower section

On the new (lower) crossing you go from 5850 down to 5400 and back up to 6000 - 450 feet loss, 600 feet gain

On the old (upper) crossing you go from 5850 to 6150, down to 6050, up to 6200, down to 6000 - 300 foot loss, 450 gain

So, not much difference in elevation gain/loss between the two crossings

Upper crossing in 2003 they had a "bridge" across it:
P8300072.JPG

pinecone

Post by pinecone » August 22nd, 2022, 7:00 am

Chip Down wrote:
August 21st, 2022, 10:03 pm
I'm a little curious. Did they do the bare minimum to re-open it, as has been the strategy in the past?
No criticism implied there, as I recognize it's a tough road to keep open, unless they go the full-blown Hwy 35 treatment.
Bare minimum, heh, yep... well at least this was whoever was writing/approving the contract for the work. They put in two huge culverts (great!) and covered them with material, but then the final layer of material on the top of these massive culverts has some great chunky rock bits, that I don't understand, it just seems unfinished. Then the road crosses a spot where flow is over the road still (already) and dips down because of it. Sat above it filtering water from it and watched someone scratch their BMW's belly coming out, after having passed over the chunky rocky bits over the culverts fine. Also, lots of dust. Subaru level clearance fine. Lots of that fine fine Eliot dust beyond.

I once spent a week hauling and spreading gravel on the paths of a day-use picnic site because the contracting officer for the USFS didn't really inspect the site with what the contract was requiring and the contractor got them to sign off on work completed before it was actually done to specifications.

On the other side, there was some grading and layering of gravel on spots on the road up to Cloud Cap done early this season before the road was opened.

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » December 10th, 2022, 1:05 pm

ELLIOT CROSSING SOLUTION

One solution is a manually operated cable car stretched between pylons (like I see over there near Meadows ski area). It would have a car with sides so that you could not fall out and be operated by the people in the basket.
The number of "passengers" would be limited though.

Maybe a cable bridge would do it???? I think it would depend on the design. These types of bridges exist in a lot of mountainous countries. This would be a much heavier structure due to greater load if several people are crossing.

Or 2 "zip lines", one in each direction....cheap, fast, thrilling....

Something to think about.....maybe have nightmares about..............think outside the box...

Of course these suggestions are made "tongue in cheek"....

Here's the idea: $10 million if built by "you know who".....

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » December 12th, 2022, 7:32 am

They have these cable cars up on the West Coast Trail in BC, as well.
instagram: @remyodyssey

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » December 12th, 2022, 8:11 am

Thomas M wrote:
December 10th, 2022, 1:05 pm
One solution is a manually operated cable car stretched between pylons (like I see over there near Meadows ski area).
This is the first I've heard of a manually operated cable car on Mt Hood. Where exactly is it?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 12th, 2022, 10:48 am

Thomas M may have been referring to the pylons rather than a cable car.

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » December 13th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Indeed, I was referring to the pylons used on the ski lift, which in itself would make an interesting ride across the Elliot...parachutes included. While at it, I would like a nice little cable bridge across the Coe drainage.

However, you don't want to remove all of the danger....otherwise just stay a home a watch Youtube.