Killen Creek to (near) High Camp

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Killen Creek to (near) High Camp

Post by BaileyBoy » August 14th, 2022, 11:47 am

Last Friday 2 friends, my dog Buddy and I intended to hike to High Camp but had a time restraint and only made it about 1/2 mile short of High Camp. Really a beautiful, warm day with a ton of skeeters and then the horse flys showed up. Met about10 people smiling while they swatted insects. On our way out we met 3 young folks who had forgotten their repellent so we sprayed them down.

Surprised how dry the trail was, very dusty and no water until the East Fork Adams Creek. Buddy filled up and was ready to continue. I had forgotten how strenuous the hike was, pretty much uphill at various slopes all the way. Rocky and rooty with lots of high steps to make. But the beauty of the area negated any whimpering, although we did whimper.

Met a NFS ranger, a young lady with her poodle, who checked our permit - no fee, just have to fill out form. She's been working less than a year and is loving it. She had hiked over from the South Adams climber trail and was headed back that way. She believes the bugs should decrease 2-3 weeks, hope she's correct.

All in all, three old guys and an old dog did okay. Loved the drive up from Bingen as the forrest opened up and the views were expansive.
Attachments
IMG_8230.jpeg
IMG_8227.jpeg
IMG_8219.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg