West Highland Way

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
JBG

West Highland Way

Post by JBG » August 8th, 2022, 3:04 pm

Just in case anyone is going to be on the British Isles, I highly recommend the West Highland Way, a 96 mi (106 if you add Ben Nevis at the end) trek along Loch Lomond and through the Scottish Highlands. Oregonians won't find anything on the trail too trying, though if you have tender feet you might find the road rough at times, and without any great ascents the Scots eschew switchbacks. There's plenty of water and 4G cell coverage in even remote places and will likely be near a place for a pint or a dram every other night. Beware, however. The Scottish Midge is real and it is terrible. The swarm will sneak up on you and leave you swatting the air and slapping your face in vain. Also be sure and treat your rain gear before you go. Happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested.
IMG_20220720_075620.jpg
IMG_20220722_114033.jpg
IMG_20220722_220939.jpg
IMG_20220725_151349.jpg
IMG_20220725_155504.jpg
signal-2022-07-29-06-54-17-992-7.jpg

Charley

Re: West Highland Way

Post by Charley » August 9th, 2022, 11:04 am

Bucket list, for sure.

How was it getting to trailheads? Were you able to fly in and just take trains wherever you needed to go? Leaving a rental car at a trailhead for days, paid for, but unused and vulnerable, is a major downside of flying for a backpacking trip!

Did you stay in bothies? Or tent camp?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

JBG

Post by JBG » August 9th, 2022, 12:15 pm

Both sides of the trail start and end in a town that is easy to get to by train. Even though there was a train strike, and we took the coach bus a few times, we didn't have trouble getting around. I highly recommend going Nobo. There is a quick 30 min. train from Glasgow (which I think you can fly into with the right itinerary) to Milngavie (pronoucned Moh-gai). The trail starts there and ends in Fort William with trains and buses to all over Scottland. You can also fly to Heathrow and get transport up to Glasgow easily, it's just a pretty long trip. Edinburg is also about a 45 min. train ride from Glasgow and definitely worth a visit if you have time. So don't worry about renting a car unless it is absolutely necessary for some reason.

I mostly tent camped but stayed in a bothy one night - just for the experience. We had exceptionally nice weather for my week, but I can see where they would be a nice, dry alternative if it is pouring rain. There are mice (or at least a mouse), so use an opsack. I forgot to put my trash in my opsack and woke up to a mouse who got in my trash bag and couldn't get out.

One more thing - once you get north of Loch Lomond, tent vestibules are mostly useless because the midges will get in your tent if you open the fly more than once every few hours, and maybe even then - so bring a tent that you can put your pack in with you and whoever you're traveling with. I would set up my tent, walk away for about 10 or 15 min., then dash up, toss my pack in, and go about whatever I was doing the rest of the day/evening. In the morning I would get dressed, pack my pack, put on my head net - and then go out of the tent and take it down while protected. It only took one attack to teach me that lesson.

Limey

Post by Limey » August 9th, 2022, 7:11 pm

I have a friend who has done the WHW a couple of times. I cat sit for him while he's gone. He has done the Coast to Coast seven times, usually in April/May. He has logged over 35,000 miles in the past 13 years, mostly in England. Getting around on these walks is fairly easy, he's 83 now so he usually side trips to a B&B for the night instead of camping. Glad you go to go and experience this.

Charley

Post by Charley » August 10th, 2022, 9:17 am

JBG wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 12:15 pm
One more thing - once you get north of Loch Lomond, tent vestibules are mostly useless because the midges will get in your tent if you open the fly more than once every few hours, and maybe even then - so bring a tent that you can put your pack in with you and whoever you're traveling with. I would set up my tent, walk away for about 10 or 15 min., then dash up, toss my pack in, and go about whatever I was doing the rest of the day/evening. In the morning I would get dressed, pack my pack, put on my head net - and then go out of the tent and take it down while protected. It only took one attack to teach me that lesson.
OOOOOOF
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

JBG

Post by JBG » August 10th, 2022, 8:48 pm

:lol: Yeah. Maybe only slightly dramatic. The midges are tiny - much smaller than gnats. They get in your nose and eyes and ears. Only the females bite, and really not hard. Nothing like a mosquito. But the swarm is like a sneak attack and you feel tiny prinpricks everywhere your skin is exposed. Some people swell like a mosquito bite, luckily not me. The nice thing is they are so tiny even a light breeze forces them to cling to the grass, and they can't keep up with you when hiking. So as long as you're walking, you're safe, but take breaks in a breezy part of a the trail.