Elkhorn Crest Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Elkhorn Crest Trail

Post by drm » August 6th, 2022, 10:43 am

I hiked the northern section of the Elkhorn Crest Trail out of Anthony Lake to Summit Lake and back. Bugs were minimal to non-existent.

Anthony Lake from the day use area.

Here I go. Two other cars at the trailhead on Wednesday morning, about a dozen when I came out on Friday.

The first two miles go through lush forest, gaining 1000 feet to Angell Pass on this granite trail that reminds me of the Sierra.

Approaching Angell Pass, ~8200'.

Dutch Flat Lake.

Looking back - Angell Pass is the notch on the right.

Nip and Tuck Pass.

Contouring across Mt. Ruth.

There are a number of slides across the trail on Mt. Ruth - places where sand covers the trail and you would not want to slide down.

The Forest Service has added signage to the confusing junctions near Summit Lake - except for this one last junction. Left is to Summit Lake and right is the continuation of the Elkhorn Crest Trail. Maybe there used to be a sign sticking out of that pile of rocks.

The 1.5 mile spur trail to Summit Lake is itself a great trail.

Finally - Summit Lake! The trail forks soon after this: left heads to 3 camps near the outlet and right heads to 2 camps below the peak. Maybe there are more camps on the other side. There was one other group camped there on that Wednesday night.

I chose to camp on the mountain side - the view from near my camp. A minor thunderstorm came through at 4pm, with a little hail. And after midnight the wind howled, meaning I got little sleep. My tent has one of those lofts that hang from the top inside - everything was blown out of it as the tent shook.

My camp was on that little peninsula right in the middle.

My zipper tore by down bag lining in the evening and I didn't think much if it - patch it when I get home. Then when it got light, I saw this. Patched with medical tape, the bag now has a cold spot.

I had planned to continue to Twin Lakes, but the wind, the t-storms, the lack of sleep, the long dry trail (you have to carry your entire day's water from camp), all sapped my motivation and I headed back. This was my lunch spot near the Lost Lake junction.

Rather than go back to my car and drive home (I had carried 4 day's food after all), I camped that night at Black Lake. 1 mile from the trailhead and I had it to myself.

Sunset at Black Lake.

teachpdx

Re: Elkhorn Crest Trail

Post by teachpdx » August 7th, 2022, 4:09 pm

Summit Lake from Anthony Lakes is a great outing for this time of year. I was there in 2020 and did the same route in, but kept a bit east of the crest on the way back, passing Lost Lake and rejoining at Nip/Tuck.

There was one other very large campsite at the southeast corner of the lake, as well. During our stay it was occupied by a family that drove up the road along Cracker Creek and spent two days shooting and chopping wood, not the best backcountry neighbors.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 7th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Nice photos! Thanks for TR. I need to get over there and check it out. I've driven through the area on I-84 probably 50 times over the years and never taken the time off to hike those mountains.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm

Lovely. Thanks for the report. I would have been there same time as you, but I have my lower left leg stitched up and have to wait a while before getting out on the trail again.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 8th, 2022, 1:06 pm

I know it well and have stayed there twice. Did you find the tiny, but clear and cold-running, spring a few feet north along the shoreline? It was better water than what I could pull from the lake.

Did goats come into your camp? They very much wanted to when I was there two years back, but I discouraged them. Too bad about the rip in your down bag. :(

drm

Post by drm » August 8th, 2022, 6:03 pm

Aimless wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 1:06 pm

I know it well and have stayed there twice. Did you find the tiny, but clear and cold-running, spring a few feet north along the shoreline? It was better water than what I could pull from the lake.
It wasn't clear and cold running this trip. I had to cross it to get to camp and it was pretty much a mud puddle. The lake was clear and pretty good, as far as lakes go. It wasn't that cold though.
Aimless wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 1:06 pm
Did goats come into your camp? They very much wanted to when I was there two years back, but I discouraged them. Too bad about the rip in your down bag. :(
I didn't see them and didn't really look. I had heard that there were a bunch at Twin Lakes, not Summit Lake. But the other party camped on the other end of the lake had long lenses and binocs and said they saw a couple way way above me.