Badger Butte July 24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
lordgares

Badger Butte July 24

Post by lordgares » July 30th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Last weekend I decided it would be fun to go exploring before the heat that we have been experiencing this week settled in. I tend to spend a lot of time around the Badger Creek Wilderness since it is fairly close to home (The Dalles). One of the places I haven't ever attempted to go was Badger Butte. Considering how much traffic there is at Badger Lake, most people seem to ignore the peak they have to drive around to get there.

I tend to be fairly cautious where I take my vehicle so I didn't drive as far in as I could have. I played it safe and parked at Grasshopper Point, which is where I knew I could make it safely. 4460 is paved for about the first 4 miles and then it turns to gravel which isn't too bad until the north end of Grasshopper Point where it really starts to get ugly.

The flowers were looking great on my way up the road to 4460-140.
IMG_0023.JPG
On my way walking up 4460 I passed by the trailhead for the Three Mile trail. I would have not even noticed the trailhead if it wasn't for some flagging by the road since it is set back a little ways and pretty overgrown.
IMG_0026.JPG
This is a prime example of what 4460 looks like headed up to the 140 spur
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
My intention was to explore around a little bit once I got to the former site of the Valley View Cabin near the springs there. Unfortunately the mosquitos were so utterly intolerable I basically headed straight up the hill as soon as I got there after taking a couple of pictures.
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
Per the field guide entry I just kept heading straight uphill. Upon reaching the top there were some good views to be had however it did take some positioning to be able to see around/through all of the trees.
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

greenjello85

Re: Badger Butte July 24

Post by greenjello85 » July 31st, 2022, 6:43 pm

Good idea! I've never been up there either despite spending a lot of time in that area. Picture #9 looking down the creek drainage with the mountain in the background is awesome. Do you know which drainage that is?

lordgares

Post by lordgares » July 31st, 2022, 8:30 pm

That is looking south down the the Boulder Creek drainage. Crane Prairie is below me and out of sight.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

drm

Post by drm » August 1st, 2022, 6:22 am

I went up on the butte once, when it was mostly snow covered in late spring. I had hiked up to the lake from the low trailhead at Bonny Crossing. Then I hiked up the road from camp.