Fret Creek-Flag Point-Jordan Creek Loop 7-6-22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Fret Creek-Flag Point-Jordan Creek Loop 7-6-22

Post by bobcat » July 8th, 2022, 9:24 am

I enlisted the companionship of OH legend Don Nelsen for this loop in the Badger Creek Wilderness area. The last leg involved a descent on the mostly abandoned Jordan Cutoff Trail and a short cross-country ascent to FR 2730.

The rain clouds were piling up against the Cascade crest and spilling over to the east side so, while it was a decent day overall, there were limited views from the high points of the loop. We began at the Fret Creek Trailhead on FR 2730, just past the Fifteenmile Creek Forest Camp. Mosquitoes were pests lower down, but mainly they attacked Don and left me alone. The huckleberry underbrush was wet, so we got a soaking from the thighs down in short order. There are a few impressive old-growth larch trees along this trail although I was a little dismayed to find many had also perished. The trail was in good condition with some brushiness and a handful of downed trees. Oval Lake lay serene under a ceiling of low cloud.

Signs at trailhead, Fret Creek, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Don Nelsen and big larch, Fret Creek, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Looking at Fret Creek, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Oval Lake, Fret Creek, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Sign at Divide Trail junction, Fret Creek, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg

Heading east on the Divide Trail, we went out to a couple of points with their “cow patty” rock formations, but got no views. We got to the Flag Point Lookout Road where four trails coincide (Divide, Badger Creek Cutoff, Tygh Creek, and Little Badger). Then it was ¾ mile up to the lookout, where the person on duty for the summer was unpacking his truck. He invited us up the tower, and we signed the register. He does five days on, two days off, perhaps into October, depending on the weather. There were better views from here to the east and the area of Tygh Valley and the Pine Hollow Reservoir. There’s also a brand new toilet at the lookout, and we inspected the beginnings of the Douglas Cabin Trail, signed for Sunrise Spring. The charnel house of downed logs which had effectively obliterated the upper section of that trail has now been cleared! I never thought it would happen in my lifetime, but it was the first example of some industrious logging out that we were to see that day. Many thanks to those crews!

Arrow-leaf balsamroot (Balsamorhiza sagittata), Divide Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Part of the Palisades, Divide Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Davidson's penstemon (Penstemon davidsonii), Divide Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Gate on road, Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Pussypaws (Calyptridium monandrum), Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Lookout tower, Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Inside the lookout, Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Sign for Douglas Cabin Trail, Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Sea of blowdown, Douglas Cabin Trail, Flag Point, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg

We walked back down to the multi-trail junction and took the Tygh Creek Trail. This trail is now a breeze (at least as far as we went) having been logged out this season. We descended across some openings blooming with balsamroot and sunflower with views back to the lookout tower. When we got to the junction with the Tygh Creek Way, a connector with the Little Badger Trail, we saw the horrible blowdown on that trail had also been dealt with. (Don was trying to track the route on his GPS, but we found that Caltopo, Gaia, etc. merely duplicate the USGS “approximate” routes and were way off for obscure trails like the Tygh Creek Way and Jordan Cutoff.)

Beginning of Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Manzanita meadow, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Little sunflower (Helianthella uniflora), Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
View to Flag Point, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Scarlet gilia (Ipomopsis aggregata), Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Sign at junction with Tygh Creek Way, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Tygh Creek Way logged out, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg

Farther east along the ridge, the trail gets close to Tygh Creek and passes through diseased woods of Engelmann spruce. Where the predominate conifer is ponderosa pine, the damage is not so bad. After a couple more grassy ponderosa glades, I noticed a fresh blaze on a ponderosa pine marking the Jordan Cutoff Trail (Don’s Gaia showed it quite a bit farther east.) We hiked over the broad ridge, passing a couple of wilderness signs and reaching FR 2720 where there was a sign announcing the Jordan Cutoff. Trail crews use this access point so the upper section of the Cutoff Trail was logged out.

Tygh Creek, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Spruce blowdown woods, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Luina glade, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Patterns in the forest carpet, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Ponderosa glade, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Blaze for the Jordan Cutoff, Tygh Creek Trail, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Wilderness sign, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg

It was a different story going down the slope to Jordan Creek. The trail is a mess and hasn’t been tackled in years (with an upper access point on 2720, there’s little incentive to maintain the lower section). We counted over 50 logs across the trail, most of them easy to go over or around. The trail crosses a couple of clearcuts regenerating with larch and then a skunk-cabbage bog. We crossed Jordan Creek at the remains of what may have been a footbridge. The trail is supposed to angle up through unlogged forest to FR 2730-170, but we couldn’t find it and instead just followed a clearcut the short distance to the road.

Sign at FR 2720, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Violet star cup (Sarcosphaera coronaria), Jordan Cutoff Trail.jpg
In the larch clearcut, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Ponderosas, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Bunchberries, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Skunk-cabbage swamp, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Jordan Creek, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg

We decided to head east a little way to begin the bushwhack portion of the loop. A signpost without a sign indicated the official beginning of the Jordan Cutoff Trail. Where we saw some clearings, we began our ascent up the slope, generally a painless weaving between manzanita and some blowdown until we reached paved FR 2730. Then it was about a 2 ¼ mile walk back along the road to the Fret Creek Trailhead. The clouds were lifting, and we got some good views from some rocky palisades down the Jordan Creek valley and across to the Tygh ridge, Jordan Butte, and Flag Point.

Trail post on FR 2730-170, Jordan Cutoff, Badger Creek Wilderness.jpg
Manzanita and ponderosas, bushwhack, FR 2730-170, Jordan Creek.jpg
Pinedrops (Pterospora andromedea), FR 2730-170, Jordan Creek.jpg
Littleflower penstemon (Penstemon procerus), FR 2730-170, Jordan Creek.jpg
Along FR 2730, Jordan Creek.jpg
Creamy stonecrop (Sedum oregonense), FR 2730, Jordan Creek.jpg
View to Jordan Butte, FR 2730, Jordan Creek.jpg

About 13 miles, 2,200 feet elevation gain. I had told Don that this was an ecosystem that harbored at least 11 species of conifers, but in fact I counted 14 in the course of the loop: ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, western white pine, mountain hemlock, western hemlock, Douglas-fir, silver fir, noble fir, grand fir, subalpine fir, Engelmann spruce, western red cedar, western larch, western juniper!

Don Nelsen

Re: Fret Creek-Flag Point-Jordan Creek Loop 7-6-22

Post by Don Nelsen » July 8th, 2022, 10:23 am

John, thanks for a great outing! I really enjoyed hiking with you again and the conversations we had. Your knowledge of plants, flowers and trees is amazing.

My GPS ended up recording 12.6 miles and 2,638 total EG for the day. Map below. Interesting how most of the Gaia routes were spot on but the ones that were off were way off. That little section of recently logged-out trail south of Flag Point that we explored doesn't even show up on the Gaia map. I guess it's been a mess for too long.
Flag Point Loop 070622.JPG
IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
IMG_6397.JPG
IMG_6402.JPG
Remains of the Jordon Cr. bridge?
IMG_6426.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pinecone

Post by pinecone » July 11th, 2022, 7:44 am

Thanks! great to see a report from the area. I had similar findings last time I was out that way in regards to trail locations, although it was easier to find coming up from the north. The Jordan Cutoff trail lines up on top of the older USGS Topos, so I suspect they were just penned into open street maps from there which Gaia (and nearly everyone else really) uses as their base. The nearby Tygh Creek Cutoff No. 460A is off westward by about 0.25 miles on the north, although it is routed quite differently than the USGS topos. There's also another short cutoff trail- used to be the longer Pen Way Trail before the road was built on most of it, not on OSM, right where Tygh Creek Trail dips out of the wilderness at a meadowy area further east. It's only about 0.2 miles to the road, but can be used to get on top of Jordan Butte which has some more fun rock formations so characteristic of the area, and views from the summit and along its ridge.

The area out there is wonderful. Very pleased to see some work on clearing the trail. Gordon Butte one day...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 12th, 2022, 6:44 am

Thanks for the beta on Pen Way (a.k.a. Jordan Butte Trail).

The problem with every app penciling in the approximate USGS routes is that they are precisely the obscure paths where people need the best direction. I don't hike off a screen, so it's not such a problem for me, but GPS hikers need to be fully aware of the issue.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 12th, 2022, 6:53 am

According to the Forest Service website Tygh Creek Trail #460 is at least partially maintained by volunteers from the Back Country Horsemen of Oregon.

MtnHiker

Post by MtnHiker » July 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm

The Forest Service website is outdated. The Back Country Horsemen of Oregon have primarily worked, at least this year,
on Badger Creek trail #479. They have even brought folks up from Central Oregon to help out. There was at one time 66 logs down across the trail. They have done an amazing job and deserve the recognition. Most of the other trails in the Badger Wilderness, at least to my knowledge, have been maintained by other volunteers this spring. These volunteers have done a great job too! The Forest Service put a crew in the Badger last year and cleared Little Badger and School Canyon on the east side. After last winters weather it is like they were never there. With all the dead timber out there, volunteers are needed to replace the old folks (like me and some of the BCHO members) who are doing this work....please buy a Silky saw and have fun!!!