Old Cascade Crest Loop 7/2-7/4/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
finkmartin

Old Cascade Crest Loop 7/2-7/4/22

Post by finkmartin » July 5th, 2022, 7:27 pm

South Pyramid Creek Trail #3403; Pyramid Creek/Chimney Peak Trail #3382; Swamp Peak Trail #3401; Gordan Peak Trail #3387; Scar Mountain Trail #3402; North Pyramid Trail #4161; Pyramids Trail #3380

The Willamette National Forest identifies something close to this loop as the "Old Cascade Crest Loop" in their trail descriptions. My version also included a portion of the Middle Santiam Wilderness. The non-wilderness trails also make up the "Pyramid Epic Loop" maintained by Bend mountain bikers and listed on the bendtrails.org website, along with condition reports.

This is a hike for forest-lovers. There are a few jaw-dropping views from the high points, but mostly it is about the forests. The trails pass through everything from true old growth to (I estimate) 20-40 year old new growth, at elevations from 2000 to 5700 feet.

I started at the Pyramids Trailhead, which is a short drive off Route 22 on good forest roads. Start on FR 2067 and turn at the second intersection with FR 560, not the first--560 no longer completes the loop to the trailhead from that direction. The South Pyramid Creek Trail goes to the left at the trailhead and is in good condition (except for one sketchy bridge) as it rambles for several mostly downhill miles through a variety of forest.

The Chimney Peak Trail then runs north, enters the wilderness, passes Donaca Lake, and turns to the west. There is no bridge at Pyramid Creek, which is probably 50 feet wide at the trail. There is currently a tree spanning the whole river slightly upstream of the trail crossing, which I used to avoid getting my feet wet. It requires a short but dense bushwack to return to the trail on the west side. This was a wasted effort, as shortly after I could not find a way across the much smaller Swamp Creek and Donaca Creek without going ankle deep. Chimney Peak Trail is in good condition, except some stretches in the wilderness that are getting brushed in, mostly with ceanothus. The trail is always easy to follow, but either bring long pants or go home with scratches. There are good camps at the Pyramid Creek crossing and Donaca Lake (which were occupied). This is an enchanting trail, with magnificent old growth trees and some stunning views across the deep, v-shaped valleys.

A couple of miles past Donaca Lake, the Swamp Peak Trail goes steeply uphill to the north. Whoever made the trail didn't believe in too many switchbacks, but it is in surprisingly good condition for a trail that can't get very much traffic. A little bit of blowdown and a few brushy spots, but that's it. After going around Knob Rock, the trail exits the wilderness, crosses FR 1162-640 and climbs Swamp Peak, passing south of the summit. This is by far the worst section of trail on this loop, with heavy blowdown and extensive brush, including some sections where rhododendrons have completely swallowed the trail. I just pushed through the path of least resistance and hoped, and emerged at more or less the right spot each time. Once over the crest onto the eastern slope, the trail becomes much better.

The Swamp Peak Trail meets the Gordan Peak Trail about a mile from Gordon Peak's north end. This is some of the easiest hiking on the loop, as the trail is for the most part fairly flat and wide (instead of traversing a steep slope halfway up a canyon wall like most of the loop). Gordan Peak basically turns into the Scar Mountain Trail, which traverses the ridgeline and a series of highpoints from west to east before turning south toward the Three Pyramids. The trail is in good condition. The view from the top of Scar Mountain was my favorite from the trip--from Middle Santiam Wilderness to Coast Range to North Santiam watershed to old and new Cascades. The drop-off on the south side is also slightly terrifying--this is no place for young or reckless children or for unleashed or ill-behaved dogs.

After crossing Trappers Butte, the Scar Mountain Trail then descends to the North Pyramid Trail and another, much smaller, crossing of Pyramid Creek, with a terrific new log bridge. The route then ascends 2500 feet in about 3 miles to the end of the spur trail at the top of Middle Pyramid. According to the topo maps, the north prominence is the true summit, but the south prominence is the sight of a former lookout. Both require a hands and feet scramble--leave your pack and poles at the small saddle between them. Fortunately the North Pyramid trail is also in good shape, with well-engineered switchbacks to ease the climb.

Finally, the Pyramids Trail descends steeply back to the trailhead, losing 1750 ft. in about two miles from the top of Middle Pyramid. The upper half is in only fair condition, quite steep with wash-outs, rocks and roots. On my day, there was also still a steeply-pitched snowbank covering maybe 30 yards of trail where I had to kick out each step, but that should all be gone shortly.

Some practical notes:
Bugs: the worst insects--mosquitoes, flies and gnats--were on the North Pyramid Trail. I didn't really notice them anywhere else, and with pre-treated gear and bug spray for exposed skin I think I escaped without bites.
Camping: I noticed no established campsites on the whole loop other than those mentioned at Pyramid Creek and Donaca Lake. I found a flat spot just big enough for my one-person tent off the Chimney Peak trail my first night, and wound up camping on the gravel where the Scar Mountain Trail intersects a spur off FR 1161 on the second. Not beautiful, but flat, empty and quiet. This would be a good hike for hammock users.
Water: From Egg Creek, shortly past Donaca Lake on the Chimney Peak Trail, to the vicinity of Daly Lake near the North Pyramid Trailhead, there is very little trailside water. I expect that soon there will be none. Plan accordingly.
Solitude: Over three days on Fourth of July weekend, I saw a grand total of two mountain bikers, five hikers, two trail volunteers clearing deadfall, and two groups camped at Donaca Lake. Not exactly a crowd.
Maps and Distances: My phone GPS and tracking app put my total distance at just over 38 miles, which is about five miles more than the cumulative distances marked on both my caltopo and gaia maps. Also, the bottom half of the Gordan Peak Trail as marked on these maps is the 'new' Gordan Peak Trail that stays outside of the wilderness for the mountain bikers. The 'old' Gordan Peak trail enters the wilderness and intersects Chimney Peak a little below Donaca Lake. It is still signed at that end and looks to be in good condition. It could be used for a shorter loop that skips Swamp Mountain but still includes a bit of the wilderness (or a night at Donaca Lake).
Wildlife: Saw one bear at 100+ yards, foraging on the shoulder of one of the forest roads. Otherwise just the usual small fauna. Wish I'd taken a field guide for plants and mushrooms and knew more about bird calls.

Here's my favorite picture, showing the old and new Cascades from the top of Scar Mountain. The three wooded summits on the right are the Three Pyramids, with the Three Sisters behind them on their left (with their heads in the clouds). The top of Broken Top is just visible to the right of the Three Sisters. Mt. Washington is in the center of the frame, and Three-Fingered Jack looms behind Trapper's Butte.
Attachments
IMG_0470.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Old Cascade Crest Loop 7/2-7/4/22

Post by Chip Down » July 5th, 2022, 8:38 pm

You mentioned Swamp Peak and Swamp Mountain. I assume they're the same. Funny name for a mountain; I'm picturing a majestic peak rising gloriously out of a swamp.

Welcome, nice debut post.

finkmartin

Post by finkmartin » July 5th, 2022, 9:44 pm

Thanks. Yes, my bad. I think Swamp Peak and Swamp Peak Trail are the proper names. The name is a mystery to me, as I saw nothing swampy in the area even after our wet spring

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 7th, 2022, 8:57 am

Excellent post and report on trail conditions! I've mulled a loop on the north side of the Middle Santiam Wilderness and am gratified that at least some of those trails are in decent condition.