Haas Ridge: 7/1/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Haas Ridge: 7/1/22

Post by Born2BBrad » July 4th, 2022, 2:40 pm

What: Out-and-back on Haas Ridge
When: 7/1/22
Who: Just Me (Born2BBrad)

Opening picture:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Information

Route:
• Jct Forest Service road NF4240-345 and Hat Point Road (6560’)
• Walked NF4240-345 to its ends where Haas Ridge Trail starts (6100’)
• Haas Ridge Trail to spring at Haas Horse Trough site (5535’)
• Back the same way

Miles: 25 round-trip
EG: 3400’
Drive time from The Dalles: 5 hrs 30 minutes
People encountered: 0
Gear weight (not counting food & water): 14 lbs

References:
None. No information about this route exists anywhere I could find, and I searched extensively. Fred Barstad’s book doesn’t mention Haas Ridge at all.

Google Earth video tour:

Link to video on YouTube

Google Earth overview:

Topographical overview (purple line):

Elevation profile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research and Preparation

Ruffles have ridges and so does Hells Canyon National Recreation Area (HCNRA). Many of those ridges show trails on them on various mapsets. However, just because a map shows a trail, doesn’t mean the trail still exists, especially in HCNRA. Trail maintenance out there is spotty, with many of those trails having no maintenance in many years. With forest fires in recent decades, ensuing treefall and overgrowth, it’s hard to know whether a trail is passable.

West of Summit Ridge are many long ridges with interconnecting trails showing on maps. As usual, CalTopo and Google Earth were used for research. CalTopo to see where all the trails are supposed to be, and Google Earth to see if traces of those trails can be seen.

The biggest issue was that where those ridges start is a forested area where trails cannot be seen from Google Earth. Sometimes remnants of a trail could be seen where it went through a meadow. Sometimes multiple downed logs could be seen through the forest, indicating a trail through an area burned years ago might be difficult.

A couple good prospects were identified, where there would be minimal forest hiking and where trails in the open could be seen. Haas Ridge was decided to be the best option. This is because FS road NF240-350 cuts through much of the forested sections, then a mostly open ridge with a trail after that could be seen most of the way from Google Earth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip Narrative and Pictures

On a previous trip FS road NF240-350 was scouted to determine how far I could get in my Subaru. The answer was not very far. That meant I had to park right where NF240-350 starts at Hat Point Road.

Parked along Hat Point Road:

NF240-350 crosses Lightning Creek, passes a big gravel pile, then after 3/4 of a mile begins to follow an unnamed tributary of Lightning Creek.

Crossing Lightning Creek:

The road is not Subaruable:

Have you ever been out hiking and you see something that looks like a bear and it turns out to be a burnt stump or something? After about a mile, I saw what I thought was a burnt stump, but as I got closer it moved. It was a black bear that took off running as soon as it saw me! Not a burnt stump. Man, bears can run fast! No chance for a picture.

Soon after, in addition to seeing elk and deer tracks, I spotted some wolf tracks. I had seen them before in HCNRA, so I knew they were there. Over the course of several miles there were more wolf tracks. No sighting or wolf calls though.

Wolf track:

In addition to going through a forest, the road goes through meadows.

Meadow along the road:

On maps, at the two-and-a-half-mile mark is a place noted as a corral. At that site is some sort of old corral attached to an old shack. While the corral does not appear to be in use anymore, the shack was not in too bad of shape. It’s probably used by hunters during hunting season. There was no lock, so I peeked inside.

Shack and corral:

Bedframes inside shack:

Working wood stove inside:

Even a crapper with a view. Check for splinters when you’re done:

At the corral site is spur road NF4240-345 that leads to Monument Ridge. It is shown on maps and can be seen from Google Earth. That could be a trip for another day.

Shortly after passing the shack, the road is no longer open to motorized vehicles, as posted by signs. This is even though the old double track road continues. I was pleasantly surprised to see no evidence of vehicles beyond that point. OHV riders aren’t always known for following rules when there is no one to enforce them.

You shall not pass!

There was even a sign posted about e-bikes. It was somewhat confusing in its wording, but it basically states that e-bikes are also prohibited. Don’t get me started about e-bikes.

E-bikes prohibited too:

I had a concern that, the farther I went, the less trail maintenance there would be. I kept finding downed logs that had been cut. Probably by hunters.

Trail maintenance:

About a half mile after the road is closed to motorized vehicles, maps show a trail crossing to the left and right. Maps show it as the Catch I Two Trail. The trail going to the left could not be seen from Google Earth, nor when I was there. The trail going to the right could be seen from Google Earth, even cutting through the forest. I could see evidence of it when I was there. However, whether it was passable is not known. Maybe exploration for another trip.

The Catch I Two Trail going to the right:

Continuing on the road, the double-track trail mostly goes through flower-filled meadows. It crosses the creek many times. Sometimes the creek was flowing, other times not.

I came across a flower that looked like a white balsamroot. I thought I had found a rare genetic balsamroot mutation. It was later identified as white mule’s ear. It was rare to me.

White mule’s ear:

Trail going through a meadow:

After three and a half miles the old road double-track ends, crosses the creek and heads uphill on a single-track trail. This is the official start to the Hass Ridge Trail.

Start of the Haas Ridge Trail:

The trail weaves through gaps in the forest through meadows to Bald Knob. Bald Knob is a grassy bump on the side of the ridge, with views of Grizzly Ridge, Horse Creek Canyon and the top of the Wallowas. There is a hunter’s camp to the right of the trail in the trees, but the north side of the knob away from the trail would be a way better spot to put a tent. There is a spring half a mile to the SE. I didn’t go see it, but I heard it.

Almost at Bald Knob:

Wallowas from Bald Knob:

Great camp spot under the trees:

After Bald Knob the trail goes through a couple forested sections. These sections were my biggest concern. That was because I couldn’t see the trail from Google Earth. Going through a half mile of bad, or non-existent trail can be a nightmare. Right away there were downed logs that had been cut. There were only a few logs that had to be stepped over or walked around. In fact, the forested sections were some of the easiest sections. Soft ground and never lost like in the meadows.

Trail maintained through the forest:

After the first forested section is another smaller unnamed grassy knob, I called Bald Knob #2. Under the trees on the north side of that knob was a better camp spot with better view than Bald Knob #1.

Bald Knob #2 better camp spot:

Going through the second forested section another hunter’s camp was found. That’s a long way to bring out a carcass, even with horses.

Hunter’s camp:

Fairy slipper:

Once through the second forested section, the trail is on the Haas Ridge ridgeline and mostly open terrain. It is more often on the west side of the ridge just below the top of the ridge. Many times on the top of the ridge, but rarely on the east side. There was a profusion of wildflowers and expansive views. The trail was less maintained on the ridge, but being on an open ridge, less maintenance is needed. It could be rough and rocky in many places. I lost the trail a few times, but always found it again.

Finally on the ridgeline:

Lots of wildflowers:

Threadleaf phacelia:

Along Haas Ridge, is a high point called Haas on maps with an elevation of 5859’ noted. I called it Haas Point. I took my first break of the day there and was able to call, text and send a video to my wife. The signal must have been coming from Joseph.

Lots more wildflowers nearing Haas Point:

View from Haas Point:

360 video from Haas Point:

Link to video on YouTube

Looking back at Horse Creek Canyon:

White mariposa lily:

Penstemon:

Saddle Gulch Trail going downhill:

Scarlet skyrocket AKA scarlet gilia:

Death camas (not a tiny beargrass flower):

White aster:

On maps is a place called Haas Horse Troughs, which is noted as a site. Often times places noted as a site are a historical area, with nothing remaining of what once was there. Parliament is example on Summit Ridge. Not only was I curious about Haas Horse Troughs, but more importantly, there was supposed to be a spring shortly before the site, and right there at the site.

Haas Horse Troughs just over yonder:

Prairie smoke:

The first spring turned out to be a stagnant puddle filled with pollywogs, which I called Pollywog Pond. I passed on that, hoping the other spring would be a better source.

Pollywog Pond:

A while before getting to Pollywog Pond, I started smelling the unmistakable musky smell of elk. It was prime elk habitat, with lots of tall grass. While I never saw or heard them, there were bed down spots all over.

Elk bed down spot:

Looking back up Horse Creek Canyon, near Pollywog Pond:

Old fencing:

I had to head downhill to get to where Haas Horse Troughs and the spring was supposed to be. Along the way I found another hunter’s camp. Now that’s a really long way to bring back a carcass.

Hunter’s camp:

As suspected nothing of Haas Horse Troughs was found. Fortunately, however, I did find the spring, which was a relief. I was getting low on water and didn’t want to have to use water from Pollywog Pond. The spring was glorious and cold.

Lifegiving, wonderful water:

GPS stats at the spring:

So now I had to decide what to do. I had my overnight gear with me and a full three liters of water. I could backtrack to one of the Bald Knobs to camp there. However, that would be only five and a half miles back to the car. It was 1:30 PM and there was over eight hours of daylight left. I had already done 12.5 miles. Could I do another 12.5 miles and get back to the car? Could I do it in time to get back to the car, drive back to Joseph and get a meal before restaurants closed at 9:00 PM? I ended up hiking all the way back to the car, getting there at 6:30 PM very exhausted. I made it back to Joseph in time for a meal, then slept in my car at the Wallowa Lake TH.

Some people say I’m crazy for these death marches. I can dial it back, but I only have a few years of these type of trips left in me, so I’ll do them while I can.

----------------------------------------------------

Trail Condition Details

Forest Road NF4240-345:
• It is a road that a high-clearance 4WD vehicle could drive up to the corral site. There were recent OHV tracks.
• It follows an unnamed tributary creek of Lighting Creek most of the way.
• It was never overgrown or blocked by trees.
• Since it was a road, a GPS was never needed for navigation.
• Rating: Between great and good. Never bad. Rarely fair.

Haas Ridge Trail:
• The sections going through the forest were cleared of most downed logs. My guess is that maintenance is done by hunters. The forested sections were probably the easiest sections.
• The trail going through meadows sometimes faded into the grass. Most of the time I was able to stay on the trail without referencing my GPS in these sections.
• The trail along the ridge was easy to follow, in the sense it could be seen almost all the time. I lost it a few times, but always found it again, often with help from my GPS. Along the ridge it was rocky in places, with lots of potential ankle-twisters.
• Rating: Between good and fair. Rarely great or bad.

----------------------------------------------------

Final Notes
• Cell reception at Hat Point and on Haas Point. Much better on Haas Point, to my surprise. Enough to speak, text, send a picture and video.
• No permits of any kind are required for parking, hiking or backpacking.
• Route finding skills helpful if attempting this route. A map and GPS are helpful to stay on trails.
• Only a few water sources. Know where the spring are.
• If the weather is sunny, this trip would be almost 85-90% sun exposure.
• No poison ivy or rattlesnakes.
• There were mosquitoes, but not too bad. I didn’t have to use repellant.
• Best camp spots would be near Bald Knob, Bald Knob #2 and just before the Pollywog Spring.

Link to pictures on Google Photos:
Link 1
Link 2

What’s next? Stay tuned!

These are all the trails in HCNRA, just on the west side of the Snake River:

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Charley

Re: Haas Ridge: 7/1/22

Post by Charley » July 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Some people say I’m crazy for these death marches. I can dial it back, but I only have a few years of these type of trips left in me, so I’ll do them while I can.
Hear, hear! It's an impressive trip. Dinner at La Laguna would have been amazing. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » July 5th, 2022, 9:43 pm

This is awesome. Not a death march; quite the opposite in fact! I love these reports from the Hells Canyon area. Really need to check the area out (and the Wallowas too)

DannyH

Post by DannyH » July 6th, 2022, 8:41 am

I've really enjoyed your trip reports from this area, thanks for taking the time to publish them. It sounds like you also enjoy having a map and filling in all the trails as you go. I'm currently working on covering all of the Appalachian Trail as it goes through Tennessee after moving here a year ago.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 6th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Charley wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm
Hear, hear! It's an impressive trip. Dinner at La Laguna would have been amazing. :)
How’d you know where I got dinner? Seriously, that’s where I went, and it was delicious.
sgyoung wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 9:43 pm
This is awesome. Not a death march; quite the opposite in fact! I love these reports from the Hells Canyon area. Really need to check the area out (and the Wallowas too)
People think it’s so far away there. Really it’s not that long of a drive for solitude and adventure. Plus, you can get higher earlier in the year than the Cascades.
DannyH wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 8:41 am
I've really enjoyed your trip reports from this area, thanks for taking the time to publish them. It sounds like you also enjoy having a map and filling in all the trails as you go. I'm currently working on covering all of the Appalachian Trail as it goes through Tennessee after moving here a year ago.
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy reading them. They’re not for everyone, but those that like them really like them
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Charley

Post by Charley » July 6th, 2022, 9:29 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 3:37 pm
Charley wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 8:01 pm
How’d you know where I got dinner? Seriously, that’s where I went, and it was delicious.
Because it's open late and it's the best! I eat there once a year. I've worked out there for a week for over a decade (minus the pandemic), and we always go there one night.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.