Alsea Falls to Green Peak falls 7/3/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MagicBandana

Alsea Falls to Green Peak falls 7/3/22

Post by MagicBandana » July 4th, 2022, 7:30 am

IMG_20220703_111920808_HDR.jpg
Alsea falls
Nice short hike from the day use area at Alsea falls through the McBee camping area and up to Green Peak. Easy-ish due to to the short length, but lots of steep up and down. (Just got over COVID, so it was harder than it should have been.) I wouldn't want to do this in the mud - very slippery. Luckily it's dry now, and wild flowers are out! Tons of foxglove and daisies on the drive in, and tiger lilies on the trail (I'd never seen them in the wild, but my wife said they're fairly common in this area). Even some early season pink huckleberries and orange salmonberries for munching.
IMG_20220703_111651839.jpg
Tiger Lily
For a holiday weekend I was expecting more crowds, but I guess when it's not hot enough to splash around in the falls, not as many folks make the trek out here. Some side trails that head down to the river were closed with "caution" tape across and other parts of the main trail were pretty narrow due to erosion. Glad we didn't have to step aside for big groups.
IMG_20220703_115617916.jpg
Where the leprechauns live

bobcat

Re: Alsea Falls to Green Peak falls 7/3/22

Post by bobcat » July 7th, 2022, 9:00 am

We stopped in at Alsea Falls on a roundabout way of getting to Newport a couple of weeks ago. A pretty drive and picnic spot to stretch the legs. Nice to see the waterfalls in decent flow.